6" Pneumatic Riverbed Board has new Aluminum Wheels

daverobson08 said:
Nice videos :) Looks like that's a fun board to ride. Great spot too, you're lucky to have that :)

Thanks! I feel very lucky to have that spot so close. Wide open pavement with banks that run a solid 6 miles. Also has bike paths up top that go forever. Bonus is I don't think anyone notices us down there or cares that we're on powered boards.

So I went on a ride today and broke one of the wheel hubs. Not sure if it was because I had too much air pressure or not...Just ordered a new wheel.

I see you have had a few 'off-road'/all-terrain boards specifically with brushless motors mounted to the bottom of the board (I see a lot of the mountain board builds with motors mounted above the board for obvious reasons). How is it going in terms of dirt/dust getting in to the motors? do you clean them? have you noticed any dirt-induced damage to the motors? I plan to ride on some gravel and/or dirt paths and am wondering how much issue the dust is going to be.

RomeoEG said:
I see you have had a few 'off-road'/all-terrain boards specifically with brushless motors mounted to the bottom of the board (I see a lot of the mountain board builds with motors mounted above the board for obvious reasons). How is it going in terms of dirt/dust getting in to the motors? do you clean them? have you noticed any dirt-induced damage to the motors? I plan to ride on some gravel and/or dirt paths and am wondering how much issue the dust is going to be.

The motors do pick up small particles (iron) and I've taken them apart a couple of times and cleaned the magnets. (easy) not sure if my motors have suffered any damage at all.

I've got a bunch of very dusty miles on my own setup, and I haven't even taken them apart. They seem to be running great. I check the external case and haven't seen any filings yet, I am expecting some to show up -- just not yet.

The bigger problem I have is rocks in my back shoe, kicked up by the front wheels.

austindavid said:
I've got a bunch of very dusty miles on my own setup, and I haven't even taken them apart. They seem to be running great. I check the external case and haven't seen any filings yet, I am expecting some to show up -- just not yet.

The bigger problem I have is rocks in my back shoe, kicked up by the front wheels.

Honestly, I don't even think it's something to worry about. The bearings in the motor are sealed.

moosejaw said:
What motor mount did you use?

I made it. It's the Psycho Pspecial!

whoa. Have you tried gravel or dirt/sand? What is your gearing?

I've been having a fun time with my rear belt; I think it gets rocks kicked into it. Two Gates belts broke, and the polybelt held but the motor shaft broke -- all on the rear wheel. When The new motors come in I'm gonna fashion a cover to keep rocks out. Once torque gets his new mounts I'm going with chains.

I've ridden a dirt road and a few patches of sand here and there mostly asphalt and rough cement. I'm running 17/42 right now but the boards top speed is a little crazy still. I have a new belt and 14 tooth motor pulley on order. It'll drop the top speed to 30mph and give me a little more low end. Also, it's front wheel drive so I'm not getting much kicked up into the motor or belt. May have to make a trip up north to ride with you guys soon!

I'm going to be using 14t/62t. Cant wait to try it out might need to change decks. The current deck is quite big with a deep concave. Have it setup on a dual diagonal motors for dual 50mm. I just might change it to my old dual 6274 since my older mounts were longer. Newer mounts the 15mm motor pulley rubs on the wheels.

Yeah, that's a big pulley Torque! Are those motors 270kv? Remember you should have room to space the wheels out now. Maybe that will give the motor pulley space.

psychotiller said:
Yeah, that's a big pulley Torque! Are those motors 270kv? Remember you should have room to space the wheels out now. Maybe that will give the motor pulley space.

Originally, I was going to go dual diagonal 5065 270KV. I think I'm probably going to just use my old 6374 SK3 192KV motors on 8S - they're just collecting dust. 63mm are nice just heavy. Main reason is because the mount is longer and the pulley hopefully won't rub.

20/62 instead for 24mph 6S or 32mph 8S. Will make the board freaking heavy though. Guess, it's not much different from my old board dual 63 with 10S.

Hopefully, If I'm not lazy. I want to machine a keyway on it. Definitely, a lot of benefits to having a keyway.

Thanks Onloop! I also found a 6 x 2 tire that works with my hub. Should see those soon :D

psychotiller said:
Thanks Onloop! I also found a 6 x 2 tire that works with my hub. Should see those soon :D

So... When will you be ready to talk about a little production batch? 6x2 would be a good size, and the quality on the ones you sent torqueboards is amazing. Like diamond cut -- your CNC guy deserves a beer!

For reference, MBS charged me $150 delivered, but I had to get custom trucks and bearings -- so probably $200ish premium for MBS wheels vs. urethane on very good trucks.

austindavid said:
psychotiller said:

So... When will you be ready to talk about a little production batch? 6x2 would be a good size, and the quality on the ones you sent torqueboards is amazing. Like diamond cut -- your CNC guy deserves a beer!

For reference, MBS charged me $150 delivered, but I had to get custom trucks and bearings -- so probably $200ish premium for MBS wheels vs. urethane on very good trucks.

Running numbers...If I included everything (S.S. hardware, Versa Pulley, Tubes and Tires and Hubs) doing runs of 20 sets with my machine shop. A complete set could be had for $225 with 6x2" tires or $200 with 6x1.5" tires. Shipping not included. (10 bucks)

Keep in mind, the MBS hubs are plastic, 8", and have a bigger bearing seat.

My wheels can utilize V-brakes, reverse V, and Disc brakes easily with the extra 4mm mount holes.

Back