-New Video- 6" Pneumatic Aluminum wheels.

psychotiller

10 kW
[youtube]JXvTY9NuBuM[/youtube]
On Wednesday I broke one of my Pneumatic wheels. Me thinks the castor wheels I used aren't going to hold up to much abuse. So I drew up an aluminum split wheel hub for 8x22 bearings and a 10mm spacer. That'll allow them to fit any skate truck and any 150x30mm Tire (6 inch). There's also a lip on the inside of the hub that the tire bead will center up on. No slop in the tire fit should eliminate some of the bounce I've noticed with the plastic hub.

Anyhow, If I were able to order 10 sets I could get them made and shipped to our doors for $150 a set. To make 1 set for myself would cost me $333. I know it's not cheap, but riding the pneumatic board has me thinking it's worth it.

If anyone is interested let me know!
150x30aluminum wheel.jpg

Also, The holes in the hub are spaced to work with this 42 tooth pulley which costs $4.99
http://www.wcproducts.net/htd-5mm-versapulley/

torqueboards said:
These are which wheels specifically? $150 total just for aluminum hub and 4 wheels, tubes. Are you also selling a pulley with it as well?

??? Confused by your questions...Did you read the post? I'm not selling anything...Wondering how many people would want a set. If we rounded up 10 people, it would be $150 to your door.
It's a 2 piece wheel. Will work with 150 x 30mm tires/tubes (not included) tires and tubes will cost about $11 a piece. Bearings are on you as well.

As I said, in my post, I know it's expensive. There's no way to make an aluminum hub cheaper unless you own your own mill or want to order a few hundred sets.

I will update this as people show interest:
Psychotiller- 2 sets
Torque- 1 set
stuntmanmike- 1 set
Pediglide-???
Saming- 1 set
Drcgyver- 1 set
Riffsurfer- 1 set
Backbone88- 3 sets
Scoot-e- 1 set

Why not machine the pulley into the hub if possible. Might drive up cost though, but it will be very durable.

stuntmanmike said:
I'm in for a set...but where do we get the tires?

I'm still working on finding a supplier for tires...Something with good tread/4ply/6" (dont want it to look like a wagon wheel) I'm using the tires I have from my castor wheels I bought. They're out there but we'll have to spend some time getting all googly.

kfong said:
Why not machine the pulley into the hub if possible. Might drive up cost though, but it will be very durable.

Machining the pulley into the hub would raise the price considerably. Also, then everyone would end up having to use the same gearing, belt width, and Tooth size.

Here are a few pics of the new wheels. Pretty sure I'm going to make some more. 8)
2014-09-24 10.54.14.jpg
2014-09-24 10.54.40.jpg
2014-09-24 11.03.39.jpg

Silenthunter said:
it looks like a wider truck would be needed for these wheels...

They are center set hubs. 36mm wide. I have 4mm of extra axle to work with and could put spacers on the trucks if I wanted.

No wheel bite with my set up though and it's a drop deck with calibers...I guess if you're concerned with looks maybe, but function wise I'm stoked.

Went out for a ride today before Stormageddon reached SoCal. Haha!
My wheels are testing good! Love the new tires, Really impressed with how well the rubber centers up in the hub. It doesn't wobble at all. The only thing I want to do is put a lead weight opposite the valve. 8)

-Check the new video at the start of this thread.

Whats the max OD of them, AKA how big of material is used? If it is 3" or less my lathe could puck those out really fast. If it is bigger it would just take more material and time.

johnrobholmes said:
Whats the max OD of them, AKA how big of material is used? If it is 3" or less my lathe could puck those out really fast. If it is bigger it would just take more material and time.

They are just shy of 4" in diameter.

Are you still putting together a potential list of folks who are interested in a set? Id be interested
Also, could you weigh just the hub/screws/bearings for a single wheel, just curious the weight of one hub - looks like a good, thin clean design...

Yup the list is in this thread. I'm trying to figure out how to get the order done myself if I can afford to do so...If not We'll have to do a group buy. I'll get them weighed for you.

Back