60V GNG troubleshoot question

donny67ss

10 mW
Hi guys I finally got my bike back up and running after a bad accident. I had a bad AC joint separation and it took me down for about 9 weeks now, I was hit by a car on my way to work :( Long story short I have a 60V GNG on an Iron Horse SGS with 18s Lipo. Today I installed some Magura brakes and went out to test them and no more than a few minutes in the motor suddenly stopped. The lipos are on a fresh charge and I started to try and troubleshoot the issue. I already removed most of the hanky connectors (stupid yellow box) and soldiered everything up, so its not a wiring issue. I tested with my multi-meter (wires out the back of the stock GNG controller) I have power to the throttle (3.0v) and have power (2.7v) at the small blue, yellow, red, green, & black wires (sorry I'm not sure what the terms are for the wires ? ). Then I have no power at the larger Blue, Yellow, Green wires (what I think are the phase wires ?). I'm not sure how to properly troubleshoot this any help would be really appreciated. Thank you guys and happy almost 4 of July !!
Donny H :)
EDIT - I was incorrect about the voltage on the throttle wires red has 5.0V and the green and black have nothing.

I took apart the controller and everything looks fine nothing is burnt and the caps look fine. I have 73V into the controller. The small motor wires have power but nothing at the larger blue, yellow, green motor wires. It was running perfect for about a week and a half and then just no power. I'm not sure what my next step should be, or how to test the throttle. Donny H.

If you don't have another controller to test the motor, try to test the mosfets of your controller maybe? See with a multimeter if there is a short between the legs 1/2 and 2/3 of each mosfet

Hi Whitehawk thank you for the help! I tested the mosfets and I have 72V at three of them, i'm not sure if this is normal I don't know a whole lot about these controllers. Thank you again for your help. Donny H.

Hi Lebowski :) That's just what my cheap multi-meter is reading, I'm really not sure what the correct voltage should be at the throttle. I wish I knew how to test the throttle, I feel like a dummy that I cant troubleshoot the issue. Thank you for your help! Donny H

My Fiancee keeps yelling at me saying no more bike parts you dummy, you better fix it or your walking LOL O to be in love :)Donny H

For the mosfets test : don't plug the battery !

My controller stoped working 2 times, I found 2 dead mosfets each time with this method, changed them and my controller work again :D

Ya Ya Ya!! I got it it was a short in the small wires from the controller to the motor, the Blue and red wires had a small cut in them. (I feel like a big dum dum I should have notice this sooner, live and learn) I cut out the bad wiring then re-soldiered and all is good i'm a happy camper now. Thanks for the help Whitehawk!! I just installed new Magura brakes and a new ISIS crank with a heavy-duty freewheel. Little more cleaning up and i'm ready to ride, which is good since this is my commuter to work everyday :)

Back