7 Police Cars to Detain Man on Electric Bike

Scorefield

10 W
7 Police Cars to Detain Man on Electric Bike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czwy6UPvRs

He got $2300 in tickets riding his electric bike on Sunday to the church.

Sad to get one of the tickets for not having a wind shield :mrgreen:

Amazing. So, this is Phoenix AZ? Gotta say though, the YT poster (victim) has a bit of an attitude? I've been stopped well more than a dozen times on vehicles that actually are (still) e-legal, and never got one ticket, and yes, the possible fines on the books in my `hood do add up to thousands of dollars...
tks
loC

Seven Police vehicles for some dude merley riding an "electric bicycle" is way over the top. But I must have missed the part where the so called victim actually got issued tickets totaling $2300 for simply "riding an electric bicycle". I also wonder 'why' he was pulled over and what he did to alert the attention of the Police. Does he have a history with the AZ PD, and could he be a repeat nusince. What happened between the time he was stopped and when he started filming?

Even though he does have a tude, he does seem somewhat calm and non combative. And even though the Police do seem rather confused, they are very polite and non threatening. Interesting how these things only tell part of the story.

Apparently a local Arizona activist known for work on the Radar/photo red light issue, floride in the water, tea Party issues.

A man with A, or several, causes.

Those were pretty nice and reasonable cops. Just didn't understand, likely thought it was an unregistered motor vehicle, and wanted to check things out to make sure it was legit, because they were obviously unclear on the laws.

Tacoma/Lakewood PD would have pulled him over, the moment he pulled out a camera, they would have knocked it out of his hands with a night-stick, and smashed it on the ground. When he made any sort of protest from them taking the camera, they would jump him and forcefully arrest him on the ground, and make sure to smack his as hard, and as many times as they like on the door sill of the back seat of the cop cruiser "helping" him into the car.

Then they would have a police report all corroborated by 4 other cops (if there were there or not) that says they saw him be violant and resist arrest and try to hit the cop. He would go to jail and spend 10's of thousands in legal bills and fines.

Those seemed like ignorant, but very resonable and understanding cops to me.

I'd wait to see proof of the $2300 fine. Although that entire ensemble of police cars was utterly ridiculous...this guy obviously had a thing for flaming up the issue. I must admit all of the police looked completely dumbfounded. I hope he went to the city coucil over that if the pull-over was as bad as it looks.

I also noticed, however, that there is a convenient little link at the bottom of his description to go and give donations to:

Donations can always be made to the 4409-liberty fund at http://www.Formula4409.com

I admit I have no intention of investigating the legitimacy of this organization though... :?

Sheriff Jon said:
But I must have missed the part where the so called victim actually got issued tickets totaling $2300 for simply "riding an electric bicycle".

There is another vid with him, where he goes on some small radio show and there he is telling about the $2300.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxDopnyNgcs&feature=channel

Dont know much about this dude, if he a activist or not but just wanted to show how much attention a ebike can get on the street's. :shock:

That is completly rediculous!!

What is NOT RESONABLE is that they were 7 cops for that action!!!

Think about it.... Imagine that a REAL DANGEROUS event would have occured at the same time in that neiborhood.... with all these police doing nothing than waiting... for nothing all at the same place... Imagine a hold up that could have occured... the police cold have been be not really efficient and the realdangerous event woud have no availlable cops for that hold up.... ... because they are all for an electric bike validation action... :roll:

and for potential violent action to the 4409 guy by the policeman... there is no possible reason for being like that with him... THIS IS NOT REPRESENTING ANY DANGER FOR TEH POPULATION TO RIDE IN ELECTRIC LEGAL OR NOT BICYCLE ON THE ROAD...

A HOLD UP IS A DANGER... NOT A MAN RIDING QUIETLY ON A E-BICYCLE

THIS IS A BIG LAK OF JUGEMENT FOR HAVING :roll: 7 COPS FOR AN ACTION LIKE THAT!!

sorry.. to me this is not resonable!....

IF THESE POLICEMAN WOULD HAVE USED THEIR INTELLIGENCE, THEY WOULD HAVE SHARED THE POLICE RESOURCES PROPORTIONALLY TO THE POTENTIAL DANGER

THIS IS A BIG SUPERIORITY SHOW OFF FROM THEM... COMPLETLY STUPID...

Doc

Each of the 5 times a police intercepted me in Quebec city from now.. THAT WAS ALWAYS WITH THE MOST RESPECT AND ADMIRATION IN REGARD OF THAT EFFICIENT TRANSPORTATION METHOD !!

I never had any negative action from the police.. never got any ticked...

guess what.. 2 of them asked me "how much for getting one!!"

I had impressive respect from all them and WHEN I SAID THERE IS NO GAS ENGINE AND THAT IT HAD PEDALS, THEY RELEASED ME WITH NO MORE QUESTIONS !!!

It seeem that AZ usa police is like DIFFERENT than QC can !! :mrgreen:

my secret for never getting arrested: ALWAYS FIRST TALK ABOUT:

NO GAS
NO PISTON
MAX RANGE WITH ONE CHARGE
PEDAL

AND... THAT YOU LEFT YOUR CAR AT HOME AND NOW PREFER USING EBIKE TO HELP SAVING PLANET !

USUALLY THESE NUMBERS IMPRESS THEM AND SUCCED TO CHANGE THEIR MIND:

-No sir.. it's electric AND IT'S A BICYCLE and i can pedal
-I can do 210km range on one charge
-completly charge in 1h30
-it cost me 12 cent to charge
-it is using 76 recycled drill batterypack of 432 cells like in your laptop.... LITHIUM
-I built it myself
-My ebike is really visible !! I installed 70Watts LED light to be perfectly visible from the car drivers
-it is using a 500w motor just like the law permit ( usually they dont know the law for ebikes so they believe you!)

At least... for me.. it work each time!

Doc

It was Sunday morning, the cops were bored, it looks more like a moped than a bicycle, we don't know what happened before he got the camera out.

You never know in these United States what is going to happen when a person is stopped by the police, and I mean TO the police. Multiple officers is standard practice everywhere I have been, both for protection of the public(although admittedly sometimes it doesn't work out that way) and for the officers themselves. It seems everybody is out to make a dime or a name for themselves these days. There are also a few that feel that other peoples lives are worthless. A potentially combative person will always draw a crowd of police because a mono on mono confrontation can go either way at any time. I am not and have never been a law enforcement official but if I was required to carry a deadly weapon, I would want backup. Just because you carry the weapon it doesn't mean it can't be taken from you and used on you!

OMFG is about what explains my feelings.

It is extortion. Failure of social contract to responsibly deliver fair law unto the people.

Police are the terrorists in this case. Unfair law delivery by use of armed officers is tyranny on a direct level.

Doctorbass said:
my secret for never getting arrested: ALWAYS FIRST TALK ABOUT:

NO GAS
NO PISTON
MAX RANGE WITH ONE CHARGE
PEDAL

AND... THAT YOU LEFT YOUR CAR AT HOME AND NOW PREFER USING EBIKE TO HELP SAVING PLANET !

USUALLY THESE NUMBERS IMPRESS THEM AND SUCCED TO CHANGE THEIR MIND:

-No sir.. it's electric AND IT'S A BICYCLE and i can pedal
-I can do 210km range on one charge
-completly charge in 1h30
-it cost me 12 cent to charge
-it is using 76 recycled drill batterypack of 432 cells like in your laptop.... LITHIUM
-I built it myself
-My ebike is really visible !! I installed 70Watts LED light to be perfectly visible from the car drivers
-it is using a 500w motor just like the law permit ( usually they dont know the law for ebikes so they believe you!)

At least... for me.. it work each time!

Doc

Nice advice BTW. People in AZ will obviusly need it.

But honesntly while you get away with some sweet talk he gets away with a $2300 fine and compare his bike to yours.

Is this what the law is coming to?

Since when should you get fined for having a mouth and speaking how you feel.

317537 said:
OMFG is about what explains my feelings.

It is extortion. Failure of social contract to responsibly deliver fair law unto the people.

Police are the terrorists in this case. Unfair law delivery by use of armed officers is tyranny on a direct level.

lol. These are not terrorist police. These are teddy bear hugging reasonable police. I would love to have such nice police.

Our last police chief took his wife and kids for a drive, shot the wife in the face, then himself, in front of the children in the back seat. This was his response to getting caught in an operation he had going on with half the police to sell the coke and other drugs that they confiscated. Most all of those cops are still active cops. Even internal affairs cops were proven to be getting a cut of the money. I think the city mayor was as well. If you mouth-off, or even do nothing at all to a bad cop, they will beat you senseless with a baton, then arrest you on charges for resisting arrest and trying to fight cops or whatever the hell they want, and there will magically be lots of other cop witnesses which all saw you attack the cop first. I've personally seen a cop slash through all the leather seats in a car with his knife after pulling over a car, which was doing nothing wrong at the time. Thank God the driver (a friend) was smart enough to do and say nothing, or he would be in jail. Those are bad cops. These cops are just uneducated confused cops.

I watched the second video and he explains that the first cop who stopped him asked something like, "What kind of gas engine do you have on it?", and then he pulled out the camera to record the incident and that's when backup was called. It seems to me the assembly of the police was due to a lazy Sunday, some group decision making and shared knowledge for determining the illegality of the situation( I can imagine the cop was searching for the e-bike lawyer in his squadron), and also the pulling out the camera may have been perceived as an escalating response. You also have to admit the bike does look like a moped, so I wouldn't blame them for suspecting an unlicensed "motor vehicle".

Its does look like a moped and I'm allmost sure that it didnt had any pedals, but something about the law that is saying that a moped is a vehicle with a piston I think.
Anyway it's funny to see because I'm not used to see stuff like that as I'm living around a place that is called Freetown Christiania.

Well there is still federal law that supersedes any local laws that try to label an electric bicycle as anything else.

I am not really a huge fan of the guy after hearing him on that radio show, but no doubt being issued all those tickets, and having all the cars there is a little crazy.

After viewing the radio interview video there is no doubt in my mind that the "device" in question is in fact an electric "Moped". It appears that at one time it had pedals on it, which would qualify it as a "Moped". But pedals do not make it an "electric bicycle", and his argument is completly moot because he has removed the pedals anyway. Even it it still did have pedals it is still an electric "Moped" and subject to vehicle codes pertaining to legal use of Mopeds. Here in California a Moped must have a one time issued plate and be registered. You need to carry insurance, have a Motorcycle license and wear a 'Motorcycle type' helmet and the vehicle must have a working headlight, tail and brake light, turn signals, a horn and a mirror.

The wing nut is trying to get away with classifying his POS as an "electric bicycle".....and he got caught. Granted 7 cars is way overkill for an idiot like this. But it is idiots like him who give real electric bike riders and enthusiasts a bad name :evil:

I have NO sympathy for the guy. He has gotten his 15 minutes of fame, on an obscure wing nut radio show, listened to by other wing nuts :roll: Whoop de do! Maybe he can write a tell all expose about the waistfull habits of the AZPD to sell to other wing nuts at a 4409 convention to help pay for his $2300 in (valid) tickets :lol:

*MY* bike looks more like a motorcycle than his, especially with the lighting on it, and I have yet to get stopped by ONE police car on it, though I have had a number of officers both fire and police compliment me on the lighting and whatnot. That's been true in Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler, which are the only places I have regularly been to. I don't ride in Scottsdale because there is an attitude prevalent there even towards non-motorized cyclists that I can't abide, and most of the other areas are farther away than I would want to go.

I did have at least one of the officers that responded to the after-closing robbery at the store I work at ask one of the others "is that even legal?" when I was answering his personal-interest questions about the bike, as everyone was wrapping up and I could finally go home, but he answered them about the legalities (correctly) so I did not have to.

Now, when I was just a regular cyclist on my plain old pedal-only normal-colors upright bicycles with baskets on the rear, for a couple of decades, I would get stopped in various places for many reasons, none of which ever resulted in a problem, but were annoying. Keeping in mind that I always ride in the road, never on the sidewalk; if I have to be on sidewalks at all, I am either riding on ones *marked* as such within parks, or I get off and walk the bike while on them.

As the person in the vid said, I was told by some officers to get off the road and onto the sidewalk (even on streets with bike lanes!) and then often another would pass and tell me to get off the sidewalk and onto the road. Sometimes the two would trade off, playing a game with me, probably hoping to start something, but I just did as they said, and advised each one which other officer told me to do the opposite, and asked if they would please talk to each other to clear up which way I should be riding. This was almost always in Phoenix, but sometimes in Glendale. Never anywhere else.

The other things I was stopped for ranged from the main one of being stopped to ask if I had been in such-and-such an area at such and such a time (they were probably looking for a cyclist that had done something wrong in traffic or one that had committed another crime and rode away on a bike, as that was what I was sometimes told just before being left to ride away), to asking why I was wearing so much heavy padding/protective gear :shock:, to simply asking if I had seen a person or car of such-and-such description, etc.

Oddly, on my DayGlo and electric bikes, I have never had any of them actually pull me over at all that I can recall right now (though I have a feeling I'm forgetting something). Just sometimes turn around and follow me for a bit, and pull parallel to me at traffic control stop and ask a question or tell me something.

I guess being so obviously visible and different takes me out of the class of "suspicious persons" that they typically are looking for, as it would be kind of hard to hide in the crowd. ;)

Yes, officers can be arrogant, and rude on occasion. I think many of them in Phoenix are terrible drivers in that they don't even bother to follow the rules of the road, and do dangerous (to other traffic) things without reason, speeding thru badly-lit areas at night without any emergency lights or sirens going, running red lights (again, no lights/siren), hardly ever signalling turns/lane changes, etc. Most of them seem fairly polite.

I do still get a feeling of dread every time I see a police vehicle pacing me or in the area obviously being observant, because of all the times I was stopped for zero reason before, as it was such a waste of my time and often made me anxious (I just don't like being interrupted in the middle of rides like that; or anything else--interruptions always bother me a LOT). But I don't think they're all that unreasonable, and I daresay he had quite the attitude toward them--that will set off most people's own attitudes if they didnt' have it before.

Uhg!

I hope no one forwards this around, or gives it any more air time than it already has.

I wish i could un-watch it! This guy does not know the rules, and was just trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

I do think that 7 cop cars is way over kill, but the whole time watching it, i was thinking.."Gee if this guy does not shut up, he is going to be in a lot of trouble."

I really hope we can get better representation than this guy for Ebikes. This does not help our cause. This is a large step backward on educating the public on what Ebikes can really be like, and how much fun...ect. This will just make people nervous about being hassled by the cops if they bought an Ebike. And on the flip side, it shows cops that Ebike people are annoying loud mouths that over dramatize things. I hope they can see this and say this guy is a separate case of "special"

I think he got all those tickets because he felt emboldened with his mighty camera, and felt he had to "document, and (horribly) narrate the situation...I bet if he kept his fool mouth shut, he would have been allowed to ride away, or maybe just a fix it ticket"

Uhg!

He is known for doing videos of the cops. The cop that pulled him over probably would have let him go but it is probably department protocol to call in senior backup when a camera is pulled on them. He has another video about the cops parking in handicap spots while shopping on duty etc.. He started to behave like a dick so was treated like one. Curious though what happened when he showed up in court to fight the fine.

Yeah whatever. 8 copper verses a whiney ebiker.

They certainly got the their man didn’t they. :lol:

I love hugging a cuddly $2500 fine hey, take that out of the bellies of by your children.

Watching Cops TV shows they certainly don’t mind filming the public and broadcasting all over the freaking world.

I bet if it wasn’t kiss ass the big illegal legend ebikers here and it was one of "in" crowd here that had this happen to it would the biggest deal on the sphere.

Pages of shit stirring can go on at the golden pie name and a whole thread devoted to denoting a name as long as its not a Grace and wallets are not hungry for well off cash and put it all down to, you guessed it saving the planet. What is the allowable trolling based upon, RACE?

I haven’t got it wrong not for a moment. Living in what has been dubed as the most racisit nation in the world, and it wasn’t me that branded us with this lable, I see it all clear as chinese blood pumps through my families veins, and my own daughter as pretty and gifted and talented as she is has changed her last name for the bullies to leave her alone.

I watch the adds role by here and it looks more like Hollywood boulevard every day.

I get sick at looking at that, ghastly tongue that avatar that awkwardly trolls me into this feeling that I don’t matter nor belong here because my efforts as original as they are, are not based upon useless consumerism.

As long as you can throw dollars at it you can get by on brain power.

317537 said:

WOW :shock: someone...^^^...is harboring some unresolved issues!

I think mikefish hit the nail on the head. This putz in the vid sets a horrible example of E-bikers and I hope his little expose gets burried and lost in the sea of other meaningless 'look at me' boob tube nonsense.

Forgive me if I'm wrong...

but I didn't know it was against the law to have an "attitude". You're saying that we have to kiss the cops ass or expect to get frocked over by them whether or not we have done anything wrong?

Bull shit. If that's the way it's going to be, I'm getting the hell out of here.

I think the average citizen has had more problems with the government than with criminals.

I don't kiss ass to the cops but I am polite! I have been pulled over in cars alot and about half the time I get off with warning. I have had problems with all kinds of bull they should not get away with but not all cops are the same some are nice and do a good job too. But in this guys case I would not have been so mouthy I may have pointed out there was seven cop cars but not keep repeating my self. Realy this guy gives ebikers a bad name if the cops pull me over I will likely desierve it, and thats if they catch me! Unfortunatly my city is small so it is wise to let them so I can talk my way out of it and then not have to worry about the same cop chasing me in the future!

Back