72v 1500W 40A Hua Tong CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller

cohberg said:
Maybe i can get away with with max wattage if i can find a way to make it even slower...maybe a throttle limiter(lower the hall signal return voltage with an inline resistor)?
Sure you can do that.

cohberg said:
I have an aluminum bike (steel rear) and am 130lbs, so zero weight + backheavy + WOT = a liveforphysics ending up on my ass. If you launch and you are not leaning forward the bike lifts.
Vids or it didn't happen :D.

Fine, in about 6 hours lol. charging 24s with a 50W hobbyking charger takes a while =P.

Compared to my other controller (9fet @ 63V 30A) the power band is really different

0-3 is stupid fast at WOT
3-15mph is slower than my 9 fet (anyone why?)
15-35 car fast
35-42 meh

I'll get some data tonight on gps

I'm actually thinking about doing a reverse shunt mod lol acceleration on my 50v 17a controller is decent for me already. i'm thinking i'd want something like a little less than double the amount, so i'm hoping to mod my shunt to maybe 25a. at 80v, that's already 2000w, and i don't think i want to dump any more than that into my motor.

so what i'm gonna do is melt off the shunt mod that i did, measure the top amp pull. and depending how it feels, i'll snip one of the shunts, or grind it down so its thinner. Any thoughts on that? other than the fact that we usually aim for more amps and not less? haha

cohberg said:
Fine, in about 6 hours lol. charging 24s with a 50W hobbyking charger takes a while =P.
Been there, done that :). Two Meanwell S-350-48 in series FTW.

cohberg said:
0-3 is stupid fast at WOT
3-15mph is slower than my 9 fet (anyone why?)
15-35 car fast
35-42 meh
Hmm, not really sure. On 22S mine is "car fast" from 0 to 30mph. I'm not really sure, but it feels like my motor actually enters its real powerband from 15mph onwards, but sure as hell it's not slower in 3-15 range than 9FET controller. I actually raced a friend from a rolling start ~10mph (me 22S 35A, him 9FET 14S 22A), and the difference was stunning. We just said "Go!" and I immediately took a huge lead.

iovaykind said:
Any thoughts on that? other than the fact that we usually aim for more amps and not less? haha
Well sure you can do that if you want range. I've came to the same conclusion: you don't really need all those amps. But it's nice to have them from time to time :D. That's why I've decided to keep stock controller stock (22A) for when I need range, and put HuaTong on the bike when I go out for a blast.

Definitely want range. If I lower it too much, will it hurt my top speed as well? I'm guessing I could go top speed and see how many amps its pulling, then just limit the amps so it never goes above that, so it won't hurt my top speed, only the acceleration towards it.

iovaykind said:
Definitely want range. If I lower it too much, will it hurt my top speed as well? I'm guessing I could go top speed and see how many amps its pulling, then just limit the amps so it never goes above that, so it won't hurt my top speed, only the acceleration towards it.

It shouldn't touch your top speed, just how long it take to get there. :)

bobale said:
Been there, done that . Two Meanwell S-350-48 in series FTW.

College student, out of ramen money :( . I might end up doing it with computer power supplies though.

bobale said:
Hmm, not really sure. On 22S mine is "car fast" from 0 to 30mph. I'm not really sure, but it feels like my motor actually enters its real powerband from 15mph onwards, but sure as hell it's not slower in 3-15 range than 9FET controller. I actually raced a friend from a rolling start ~10mph (me 22S 35A, him 9FET 14S 22A), and the difference was stunning. We just said "Go!" and I immediately took a huge lead.

Well as you can already tell i'm not all that bright. The 9 fet has shunts that were braided end to end lol. something like 65A peaks, so def more pull in the 15-30
What i still don't understand the behavior. The hua tong feels like it throttling back during the 3-15 then bamb you hear the whine and the grin is back :)

Why wouldn't it affect my top speed? Is the shunts only for measuring acceleration?

In actuality I'd probably just use my CA to limit amps so I could always put it back up if I wanted to.

iovaykind said:
Why wouldn't it affect my top speed? Is the shunts only for measuring acceleration?

In actuality I'd probably just use my CA to limit amps so I could always put it back up if I wanted to.

The shunts are just for amp draw, and yeah the CA would be the best choice.

Oh ok, in that case my bad. I still think that given a very flat road and WOT at 10 amps you would reach (or get very close to your top speed).
For me, on a downhill grade (-2% i think) i pull 9 amps at ~47 mph, so on flats with good aero you should be lower on amps. I dunno :D

You're only pulling 9a to go 47mph? That's really low.. like 900w is really too low to get that kind of speed. I'll have to check with a CA what it takes to go what speed, but I'm thinking once you hit 30mph the power to get over wind resistance is going to skyrocket.

I thought about it and actually you are totally right lol. 900W at 46mph is not possible at all lol. I dunno why i remember it being 9 amps.
But still use the CA to limit your amps...it really beats have to rip apart the controller every time

cohberg said:
Well as you can already tell i'm not all that bright. The 9 fet has shunts that were braided end to end lol. something like 65A peaks, so def more pull in the 15-30
WTF? Well how long do you think 9FET controller will last at those kind of currents? :D

bobale said:
cohberg said:
WTF? Well how long do you think 9FET controller will last at those kind of currents? :D

Not long, but my pack is only 5000mah so heating is minimal and I try to be more gentle on the throttle. But i digress: anything fun, new or crazy on the Hua Tong? I tried recording starts on my cell last night but the video was really dark and its raining out :( . Guess fast riding will have to wait.

Also the inline resistor really helps with throttle touchiness at low speeds, if anyone is having that problem.

cohberg said:
I tried recording starts on my cell last night but the video was really dark and its raining out :( . Guess fast riding will have to wait.
Same here. Wind is blowing like mad, it's raining for days and it's bitterly cold. I haven't had a chance to ride in days :(.

What ohm resistor are you using? I'm going to make a switch for what "low power" actually should be. The low power mode of this controller isn't really lower power apparently, its just a speed limiter.

I'm using a 10K pot so i can adjust it. I can measure what the resistance is for me currently, but i'd guess it vary a bit between motors?

Hmm good idea. But I think since all controllers send out 5v, all resistors should limit the same way. Can you find the ohm rating that is comfortable enough to full throttle without wheelie-ing but still have power? That would be great, thanks! :]

for me 300ohms is the police safe speed/accel (aka putt-putt mode). you'd probably want to lower that a bit for more power around ~100 ohms takes me down to 25 mph

I stumbled on this source today for $33.99
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/287758466-72V-1500W-Brushless-Speed-Controller-for-Electric-Bikes-OT100-wholesalers.html

iovaykind said:
How's the acceleration to 25mph? Safe for new ebike-ers?

As a new ebiker with a 200W kit i managed to land on my ass because i wasn't expecting the kick from a standing start. Its really not the acceleration, its just the unexpected nature of it.
Also keep in mind that this isn't limiting how fast a person can go to WOT its just adjusting the ceiling. Granted the bike doesn't do wheelies anymore so i'd guess its safe. :)

I've always thought that a pedelec sensor is the best for new ebikers because it forces them to think about riding a bike vs a jerky thing bumping them along. Experienced ebikers know how to ramp up the power, regen down, powerband throttle ups/downs, newbies don't (beginner myself included).

I think what you are looking for is this and maybe on top of that capping the WOT ceiling.

Gordo said:

Weird, I got mine for 33 flat from dhgate but now the link is dead :(

Untitled.png

Yeah.. low power mode on these controllers and using an inline resistor is probably the same thing. Safest way to go about amp limiting is to use the CA.

I saw this controller for $27 shipped on aliexpress once. Problem was, they just switched over to no paypal, which was the only way I could pay securely.. so I opted not to get it.

Gordo said:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/287758466-72V-1500W-Brushless-Speed-Controller-for-Electric-Bikes-OT100-wholesalers.html

Same add, same seller at DHgate for $4.00 LESS
This controller doesn't use 100V fets. Accordingh to sources to only uses 75V fets. Buy with extreme cation and don't try and use it at high voltage.

Back