96v Controller recommendations...from you clever people please.

GaryDe

1 mW
Hi ,

Been lurking for quite some time and I'm very gratefull for a lot of info that I've picked up from you guys.

With your help...I'm just putting the finishing touches to a lawnmower conversion and am now collecting bits to build 'proper' motorcycle.

I was inspired by the chap who build a BMW K series bike and bolted the motor straight to the gearbox.
I know there'll be someone who advises me to do something else but it's too late. The bike, the batteries and the motor have been aquired.

I've build my own battery storage for the house, so have a small bit of knowledge on batteries and have done some learning about motors but I'm struggling to be confident when selecting a controller.
I've been recomended to use a Curtis 1238E-7521 for this motor GEV1204MA Foshan Shunde Green Motor Technology Co.,Ltd.

Any reason I should't use it....or suggestion for cheaper/better controllers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Been out of the loop for a while now, but there were some very smooth FOC controllers capable of truly mind bending torque. And not much bigger than your open hand. Fardriver was one, but even Kelly controllers are pretty good value nowadays.

The bike, the batteries and the motor have been aquired.

I've been recomended to use a Curtis 1238E-7521 for this motor GEV1204MA Foshan Shunde Green Motor Technology Co.,Ltd.
Did the folks that recommended the motor recommend a controller too? Might be a good place to start. I think Kelly makes some controllers that work with AC induction motors.

So read though all 25 pages of the Fardriver thread and hardware wise, it looks ideal but the software appears to be a nightmare.
My bike will be all about the acceleration so still leaning towards Fardriver but a kelly controller is within my budget...can it be setup to matcha fardriver?
Is there an alternative that matches the Fardriver performance but has at least a setup manual?

The software isn't that complicated.
A lot of things are not documented very well, but after the Auto-learn you normaly can drive. Later you can increase the ratios in speed to get more power.

For AC induction it's not too hard to make a controller using a EV inverter plus a Openinverter board.

So looking at kelly....KAC 96601.

Anyone know why in the US they cost $600...In the Eu 1100 euros?
Taxes and inport duty don't account for that!

That's interesting....looks like my inexperience is showing!

It was available at a bargain price. Looks like I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.
Well given that AC induction motor builds are rare (this is the first one I've seen), it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I've seen a couple of car alternator conversions. Can't provide any support, but happy to be learning alongside about something new. (y)

So looking at kelly....KAC 96601.

Anyone know why in the US they cost $600...In the Eu 1100 euros?
Taxes and inport duty don't account for that!
I checked the price here:
$699 for the controller about 100 for shipping and an additional 52 for tax, comes to a total of $846. I bought a AC controller from here a few months ago and it cleared customs without any issues.

Thanks eee291.

Saved quite a bit on the batteries and motor so recon I can stillbuy the controller and be within budget.

Will keep everyone updated but I don't plan to start this till the winter and I'm serial project enthusiast....They do get finished but I'm notorious for taking my time over them.

Thanks for the encouragement , the advice to put me back on track and the conformation that some of my thoughts arn't completely stupid.

Watch this space but don't hold your breath.;)

I think I may have to put a little damper on the controller side though.
Today, after 5 months I got a letter in the mail to pay customs tax for the kelly controller :confused:
I'm glad I didn't buy an expensive one, the amount was €44 for a €200 order

Looked up on the UK Gov wedsite and it looks like I'll be liable for 20% VAT and then 2% on that.

After converting to Sterling....it should still end up @ £770.

P.S. the UK shipping company hit you for all duties before they will deliver!!

Last edited:
Back