A Good water saving Idea

thats pretty

Ha Ha yeah but probably not going to be used like that much, where I live there is all ways a water shortage issue so to flush and wash hands gets two jobs done with same amount of water plus frees the bathroom if in use, perfect for rainwater tank outback situations and can be installed using existing plumbing, I'm not a salesperson trying to sell these but like the idea as my old toilet will need to be changed at some stage

I've got one of those in an upstairs toilet- briliant for space saving. The problem is that they cost more than double a normal toilet and little sink..... So yeah, you save water, but it costs heaps to do it!

that's standard in modern homes here in japan

and so are washlets with heated toilet seats, both IMO the best invention in the world!

for a bit more $ you can get the deluxe models with motion detector, auto flush, auto lid/seat lift, deodorizing fan, voice activation with the Star Trek theme and commands like, "Captain's Log, :lol: stardate, Kirk flush" and "Kirk flush again" and "Again" and "Evacuate!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

ironically, there are still homes and some train stations that use the squat toilet seats what a PITA, literally..

andynogo said:
I've got one of those in an upstairs toilet- briliant for space saving. The problem is that they cost more than double a normal toilet and little sink..... So yeah, you save water, but it costs heaps to do it!

maybe a bit more to buy than a new basin toilet set but if you consider that no new plumbing (chasing pipes in) is required to install over an old existing one then is reasonable plus prices will come down as popularity increases

Dee Jay said:
that's standard in modern homes here in japan

Oh yes we are decades away from Japans or US. mod cons in Aus. but we are getting there

Dee Jay said:
for a bit more $ you can get the deluxe models with motion detector, auto flush, auto lid/seat lift, deodorizing fan, voice activation with the Star Trek theme and commands like, "Captain's Log, stardate, Kirk flush" and "Kirk flush again" and "Again" and "Evacuate!"

:lol:

dingoEsride said:
andynogo said:

maybe a bit more to buy than a new basin toilet set but if you consider that no new plumbing (chasing pipes in) is required to install over an old existing one then is reasonable plus prices will come down as popularity increases

True dat, I was looking at it from my point of view when I was building. Certainly alot simpler with less water and draining issues. At the time (4 yrs ago) my unit was $800.......

Oh and yeah, love the Japanese toilets. I've seen some with music /radios built in as well...so funny!

seriously, tho.. it wouldn't be too hard to build one over existing tanks

you entrepreneurs out there could design upgrade kits that would fit over existing toilet tanks and include special plumbing parts in correct specs that are used in your country

add some Star Trek theme for novelty and...

…cha-ching $$$$$$

tee hee hee!

I dunno why I didn't think of it until now, but your thread has inspired me to fix the broken drain in the bathroom and kitchen sinks (which being on opposite sides of teh same wall, they share an outlet pipe) by running them into the toilet tank instead. :) Won't have to run anything but a bit of drainpipe upwards a little and then over to the tank.

Right now I use the wastewater from those sinks (manually carried) to water the trees right outside the bathroom window and the back porch.

Though like evertything else, it'll have to wait till I have time and the right materials.

Glad it's been of some help, your climate sounds similar to ours, dry heat and always a water shortage issue each summer with restrictions to garden watering and it floods that happen at the east coast :roll: , grey water or waste water is good to re use for plants, been meaning to set up a tank storage system too

amberwolf said:
Won't have to run anything but a bit of drainpipe upwards a little and then over to the tank.

Ummmmm...... :?

andynogo said:
amberwolf wrote:
Won't have to run anything but a bit of drainpipe upwards a little and then over to the tank.

Ummmmm......

That will always be an issue considering outlets would be not much more than 700 above floor level whats that? a little over 2 foot then all has run into a tank or drum, may as well be buckets or sink tank, drum into ground then use a small pump, good use for them old batterys

andynogo said:
amberwolf said:

Ummmmm...... :?
As long as the pipe does not go above the base drain of the sink, water will still drain from it, even though it will sit in the pipes until more water goes thru (unless the toilet is flushed, in which case there may be a siphon effect to pull it out of the pipe--that will have to be tested).

dingoEsride said:
Actually DeeJay you may be on to something here but

Sshhh don't tell anyone
this one is a freebee, so run! RUN WITH IT FORREST!

I gotz plenty of original ideas I'm tight-lipped on. :wink:

Back