Active balancing need to be done while charging?

An active balancer shouldn't do anything to interfere with the Nuc operations, since it doesn't connect to anything but the cells, and doesn't go between the pack and charger, etc. All an active balancer does is transfer charge from one cell to another, constantly, all the time it is connected, so that all cells are equal voltage. Some of them have limits below which they do nothing, some old crappy ones would keep going until all cells are dead if there's a "leak" in a cell that keeps dropping it's voltage relative to others. :(

A passive balancer is identical in connection, but all it does is drain any voltage on a cell that is over it's built in or programmed limit, so if no cells are over that limit, it does nothing.

Only an actual BMS that is wired up with FETs (or contactor) between pack and charger (or discharger) would interfere with the Nuc / charging, and that's something you'd have to check with Nuc to see how it responds to shutoffs.

If the Nuc charging works like an actual charger and just resumes charging after interruptions, wihtout manual intervention, then a BMS on the battery will work just like it would wtih any other charger.
I don't mean to intrude on someone's thread but I have a question about active balancing.It does not need to be charging like passive balance? Thanks for your time

Since we can't know anything you don't tell us, we have no way to know anything about what actual device you have or how it works.

So again, you have to check it's manual for how yours works.

I have a 4s active balancer on my 220ah lifepo4, I've kept them connected 24/7 for the past 3 years during charging and discharging. On my battery it goes out of balance quickly thats why I use the active balancer instead of trying to find the bad cells (160 cells total).
This is the picture of the active balancers I been using. Without the balancers one of the cells would be reading 3.60 volts and the 3 others would be reading 3.40 volts. The active balancers allow me to fully charge each cell to 3.65 volts without activating the BMS early.
active balancers qnnbm.jpg

This is the picture of the active balancers I been using.

Hi. Any seller can say anything they want - most speech is not regulated and people still sometimes say whatever they want.

Not you. Sellers who say "Active battery balancing".

We can't be sure what you have without a link to the manufacturer or seller that has enough information. A link to the manual on-line?

Li-ion is a standard enough designation to permit comments. "Active balancing" is not. We can't know what the gizmos you are using do.

I have a 4s active balancer on my 220ah lifepo4, I've kept them connected 24/7 for the past 3 years during charging and discharging. On my battery it goes out of balance quickly thats why I use the active balancer instead of trying to find the bad cells (160 cells total).
This is the picture of the active balancers I been using. Without the balancers one of the cells would be reading 3.60 volts and the 3 others would be reading 3.40 volts. The active balancers allow me to fully charge each cell to 3.65 volts without activating the BMS early.
View attachment 348190
I have the same problem with PVC/shrink-wrap battery.I am just using it during the charging

We still don't have any way to know what specific device you are actually using, how you wired it, what it's functions are, etc, so we still can't tell you anything more than we have.

If you want to know more, you have to tell us more.

If you're unwilling to do this, you're pretty much on your own for figuring it out. :(

Cheap BMS?These are all from AliExpress
Bad cells
Weak cells
Cheap cells
Counterfeit cells
D-grade cells - Cells that have failed testing by a major manufacturer and is sold off.
dont leave out Fake cells, I have seen 18650's with a little coin battery in them.

One bad cell can bring the whole group down
That one cell then degrades the entire grouping
That bad grouping then says bye bye to entire pack.

BMS cant keep up, because its a low quality bms, degraded bms, cheap bms

The list is long.

Back