Aero Bars on a Mtb

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
From my last Road Trip and on century-rides I struggle with hand-circulation problems and fatigue after a few hours. It has me thinking about mounting Aero Bars like the marathon and cross-trainers use.

aerobar.jpg

The first issue I could think of is naturally how to control the throttle and ebrake; would we need a set of redundant controls or just depend on our Cruise Control settings? The conservative side of me elects for duplication… but how would we link up to the existing network?
  • The ebrake seems easy enough; it’s on or off. A mechanical push-button switch is fool-proof.
  • Throttle is more challenging. Has anyone created a parallel throttle? Stupid-question-time: Is there a reason why we could use an optical encoder?

Has anyone used an aero bar on their ebike?

Curious, KF

D-Man :)

You know if it was an option where I could just rotate my position for a while, give my hands a break, I think it would be worth it. Being upright I have little choice, and if I wear a backpack, the weight can really change the load-bearing from rear to front. Riding for an hour or two is not a problem; it’s non-stop multi-hour riding i.e. touring that does me in :roll:

~KF

Keep your twist throttle on the straight bars. Then mount an index shifter with cable on the aerobars near your hands. Attach the end of the cable to the throttle securely, keeping the whole mechanism tight enough. now you can apply throttle from two positions, and even have the option of cruise control by tightening the friction shifter more (just enough to hold it in place, not too tight you can't release it easily!).

That's my idea, although I haven't done it yet. I don't see any reason why it won't work.

Aerobars properly set up for comfort is a great idea on an e-mtn bike. Aerodynamics and comfort - great!

Bumpity bump.

So how did this go? I'm quite interested as I'm in the initial stages of planning a build that a set of VukaAeros or Aura's will be part of.

alGARDNER said:
Bumpity bump.

So how did this go? I'm quite interested as I'm in the initial stages of planning a build that a set of VukaAeros or Aura's will be part of.
The short story is that the aerobars were a bust. They certainly added to the look of the bike, but functionally, I was scared witless to try and drive with them because I had so little leverage over control and stability – especially since I was hauling 300 lbs. of bike, motors, batteries, and trailer in tow.

I think for a lightweight setup that it would work out a lot better; otherwise I found them to be too sensitive and twitchy, and possibly not entirely adaptable to MtB geometries. I back that up with recent experience using my non-electric roady which is light as a feather and extremely nimble when compared to my 2WD urban assault ebike that weighs in about half of an Enduro.

In summation, it is a good idea for the proper vehicle though not a panacea for every ebike.
Careful what you ask for, KF

Taller bars that take some of the weight off my hands, and more back sweep on the bars is what worked for me to solve the same problem. Often a bmx bar meets the bill.

It can put more weight on your seat though, so not too upright.

Kingfish said:
alGARDNER said:
Bumpity bump.

The short story is that the aerobars were a bust. They certainly added to the look of the bike, but functionally, I was scared witless to try and drive with them because I had so little leverage over control and stability – especially since I was hauling 300 lbs. of bike, motors, batteries, and trailer in tow.

I think for a lightweight setup that it would work out a lot better; otherwise I found them to be too sensitive and twitchy, and possibly not entirely adaptable to MtB geometries. I back that up with recent experience using my non-electric roady which is light as a feather and extremely nimble when compared to my 2WD urban assault ebike that weighs in about half of an Enduro.

In summation, it is a good idea for the proper vehicle though not a panacea for every ebike.
Careful what you ask for, KF

Indeed, I tried that once on my current MTB frame (pedal power;)) and yes, the geometry itself is much too sensitive with 26" wheels and the rake. Combined with the amount of input I placed on the much more narrow aerobars to simply turn it was like dropping 25mm through the forks on a motorcycle and expecting any mention of controllability.

Of the road bikes on 700c wheels I've tried the small changes in geometry and coupled with the size of the rims lends itself to a fast, cruisey ride rather than the MTB that's used for tackling tight terrain at slower speeds.

Hey KingFish,

I have used bar-ends on a couple of my builds, Vis...

Road oriented build

BarEnds PocketRocket.jpg

(Note these are shorter width bars than an MTB)

And here is a similar setup on MTB width Handlebars

BarEnds on MTB.jpg

On this second example, I wired only the hall effect throttle function on the barend placed thumb throttle parallel with the hall effect thumb throttle on the main handlebars.

Personally I find these barends to be the bees knees (read that as very good :mrgreen: ), particularly the dual throttle setup on the MTB widh bars where I can easily swap down to the handgrips for concentrated handling situations, and swap up to the barends for longer distance comfort, plus the added benefit of being able to rest ones wrists by changing positions... the ergonomic geometry of having ones wrists and hands in-line on the barends seems to apply a lot less strain for longer distances/time, than using straight handlebars.

For the road build (top pic) I ended up doing away with the throttle on the handlebars, just running the one on the bar-end... for tricky or slow speed stuff, I tend to have my left-hand (non-throttle side) down on the bars so I can easily grab the brake (set up as rear brake).

On MTB width, using the bar ends feels a little like driving a truck, but in a good way wide armed position and very easy to control. Again in braking situations bringing the left hand back down to the handlebars from the bar-ends to control the rear brake is pretty intuitive, and makes transitioning the right (throttle) hand down to the bars very easy.

Joe

winkinatcha said:
wow dude, just read your entire ride thread... That is/was awesome, thankyou :)

Joe
<blush> No - thank you for your kind comments and ideas :D

It never occurred to me to use bar-ends; the frustration I had was trying to keep my hands from going numb, and any way to reorient them is a benefit. The only issue with bar-ends is whether they can also accept bar-end mirrors – and more importantly: How do we mount the full-twist throttle? I see that you used a half-twist, correct?

Good idea though and worthy of discovery! I will go find out and play :wink:

Again - many thanks friend, KF

Hey Hey :) thanks for the reply KF

umm the throttles I am using here I know as Thumb-throttles, using a lever like "tab" depressed by the thumb.

Not sure what a half-twist throttle is tho they may be the same?

The thumb throttles use hall affect like other twist throttles I've seen, and these can be paralleled (at least for a single wheel-build). I am not certain at all how that would affect a two controller, two wheel setup like yours tho...

Mmm interesting re bar-end mirrors... no Idea how to resolve that one :?

Joe

I did a quick search and the Profile Brief Bar Ends made by Profile Designs appears to be clamp-on around the bar, thus allowing the handlebar ends to remain open and available for mounting my bar-end mirrors. The cost of the Bar End handlebars is slight, so I’ll proceed with the purchase and investigation… probably in Black :twisted:

pd_a_barends_1.jpg

My only concern is that it will steal valuable bar space – but I’ll give it a go regardless. Check back next week.

~KF

I use a version of those (dunno manufacturer) on DayGlo Avenger. Originally they were for keeping my handlebar stuff from being crushed when I had to flip the bike over to do roadside repairs, but i found I also used them for alternate hand positions on long trips sometimes. :)

DId the same thing on the short-lived Velcro Eclipse, and even mounted the throttle on one (kinda like Winkinatcha's pic shows) at one point. Thumb throttle so I coudl reach the tab from either regualr bar position or from hands on bar-ends.

All the barends I have or have seen on bikes so far clamp around the handlebar...so they can actually be used almost anywhere on the handlebars, and thus can be used as mounts for lights and whatnot, too. ;)

I took off the straight bars off my genesis and added handle bars with a 6" rise and pushed them forward a hair until it found the right feel. Better but still not a perfect solution.

IMG_20120810_192119.jpg

HAHA!
Kingfish, when you mentioned your mirrors I thought they went around the handlebars like the bar-ends, didn't realise they mirrors went INSIDE the bars...

Nice One :)

Joe

BoppinBob,

Maybe a longer a-head headstem might help a bit there? Looks like it is as much about you needing length from seat to hand for comfort as it does for height?

Y'know it's kinda strange, been riding Motorbikes for 30-odd years (very odd years :mrgreen: ) and never noticed wrist pain (total numbness after hell-rides in my hands but not wrist pain). But a few hours on not-so-perfect bicycle ride setups and the aches come in...

Mebbe something about peddling and control of forces about bicycles that that can end up with ergonomic challenges...

joe

boppinbob said:
I took off the straight bars off my genesis and added handle bars with a 6" rise and pushed them forward a hair until it found the right feel. Better but still not a perfect solution.

Try bars with significant rearward sweep; that's what works best for most people. If you are not ready to suck it up and go for North Road style bars, which are used by most of the world's cyclists,

North+Road+Bars.jpg

then try an Origin 8 Space Bar, which is halfway in between a mountain bike bar and a North Road bar:

Oct14_2010_Pictures-004-576x432.jpg

Chalo

On-one.co.uk have the Mary handlebar which is rather comfy and swept back for under 20squid..

DoD

winkinatcha said:
HAHA!
Kingfish, when you mentioned your mirrors I thought they went around the handlebars like the bar-ends, didn't realise they mirrors went INSIDE the bars...

Nice One :)

Joe
hehe :wink:

I snagged the longer Profile Boxer Bar Ends from REI on Friday; at the clamp, they measure about 16-17 mm wide. Space is really tight already with my setup so I'll have to sort out how to remount the headlights inward so everything all fits.

Work in Progress, KF

Dudeofdoom said:
On-one.co.uk have the Mary handlebar which is rather comfy and swept back for under 20squid..

The Origin 8 Space bar is a shameless clone of the On-One Mary. Here in the U.S. of A., the Space Bar costs half as much.

Chalo

Kingfish said:
From my last Road Trip and on century-rides I struggle with hand-circulation problems and fatigue after a few hours. It has me thinking about mounting Aero Bars like the marathon and cross-trainers use.

aerobar.jpg

The first issue I could think of is naturally how to control the throttle and ebrake; would we need a set of redundant controls or just depend on our Cruise Control settings? The conservative side of me elects for duplication… but how would we link up to the existing network?
  • The ebrake seems easy enough; it’s on or off. A mechanical push-button switch is fool-proof.
  • Throttle is more challenging. Has anyone created a parallel throttle? Stupid-question-time: Is there a reason why we could use an optical encoder?

Has anyone used an aero bar on their ebike?

Curious, KF

My solution would be to use a pedelec. I am presently searching for a set of aero bars to suit my EPRODIGY WHISTLER. This should increase long term comfort and should show a noticeable improvement in battery range. If this catches on, it might be a good addition to any pedelec. Bill

Back