Another RG250 with Colossus Motor

Congrats man can't wait to see you up the power to ~ 1000 amps! :)

Oh man I want to see this motor being pushed a bit. Fantastic work so far. I hope you get what you want out of the build.
I'm interested to hear about your opinion about having a compact gearbox. Seems to me that we could get a much greater range of acceleration and speed.

Nice job you done here,

Why you dont add transmission? -for better acceleration and the ability to drive uphill, and most importantly, it saving a lot of battery energy.

As a rule the same performance benefit you can get from a transmission can be had by just using a bigger motor. The end result would weigh the same and give you about the same increase of power. BUT a bigger motor has fewer moving parts to brake and is simpler to install and maintain!

Colossus can run 20-30HP continuous with a good cooling system and their is signs showing it should take 50kw (67HP) for ~10 sec! Because of its efficiency maybe more but it will also depend on batteries and the voltage Splinter uses. Right now Splinter is running around 10hp or less. So once he ups the power he will have a fairly quick bike and hills should not be a problem!

You can read this article and see the test results of Gear and NON-Gear with benefits when installed gearbox.
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/sites/default/files/videos/LEV_CVT_Whitepaperrev10.pdf
This is Automatic Gear system.

I have this system on my Scooter, (see the rear wheel, that is not Hub motor)
2012-08-15_19-15-58_478.jpg
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38385

i can tell you, that i got huge differernt when i turn off the gear and turn on the gear. and it save me space because it is hub gear wheel.
i can drive any place and any hill, with 180KG Load of two people without problem. with 1.2KW motor only (1.9KW Peak maximum i get in my scooter screen).

ok so it has been weeks and weeks. Most of this time has been at work (upwards of 70 hours most weeks) or sick, laid out all last week.
However I have managed to layout all the components how I want them, now to cut and mount them up in 1mm or 2mm aluminum.

IMG_20121105_203900 by Splinter, on Flickr

I also got some time to put on the new handle bars with switch gear and the Jozztek throttle.
It is starting to look really good, this coming week and weekend should have all the components fully mounted and my wiring loom starting.

Switch gear by Splinter, on Flickr

Right Hand Grip by Splinter, on Flickr

Overview by Splinter, on Flickr

looking good, did not read the whole thread, but a good tip on cooling (if you didn't do LC) is to sand (fine) down the face off the motor and maybe in between if it is made like the 80/100 + apply cooling paste, this will pull heat out of the stator and windings, this has helped tremendous on my Electro Ciao and will let the motor handle more power and run cooler

I have about two weeks to get the bike ready for the Canberra EV festival on the 1st December.
Man do I have a lot of work to do.

Ok first I have the gauges on the "dash" and the wiring started.

Dash Setup by Splinter, on Flickr

[youtube]P7XiVf31cpo[/youtube]

I have also setup the mounting for the controller. This will go under the tank along with the BMS, DC/DC converter and low amp high voltage fuses.
Here is a shot of the controller in the mounting bracket.

Controller on mount by Splinter, on Flickr

A couple of it positioned on the bike.

Controller mounted by Splinter, on Flickr

Controller mounted by Splinter, on Flickr

Looking slick Tony! I love the dashboard. Is that a D-sub with balance taps I see?

Quick update with all the work I have done this past week to be ready for the festival.

[youtube]Dku1logwNBI[/youtube]

To be ready for engineering requires the last of the 12volt wiring loom... and well that is it.

Looking very neat Tony!

See the good thing about taking 3 years to build a bike is that it will look really good by the time you're done. You really can't rush these things. The way all of your components fit so neatly in the bike is a testament to your patience :)

Have fun at the Canberra EV festival!

Chris, thanks a lot I am really happy with the fit and finish. There is a bit yet to do, I have blown the seals on one front fork (totally my stupid fault) and I have to get the 12 volt completed but I am hoping to have the whole thing going and registered by the end of January.

Just a couple of shots before I put on the chain and make sure it all goes still :)

Elmoto Glamour Shot by Splinter, on Flickr

Elmoto Glamour Shot by Splinter, on Flickr

Love the throttle management skills :lol:

"......Fark it's keen!" :D Love it.

Good stuff Tony. Keep cool eh? We've had more than enough heatwave over here.

Wow, great job. Looks sweet and seems to go pretty fast. I can't believe that motor can put out so much power.

Will you be able to register it with red HV wiring?

Gregory said:
Wow, great job. Looks sweet and seems to go pretty fast. I can't believe that motor can put out so much power.

No I won't, the red wires were from the bench setup for he motor. My orange HV wires are back on. I have to change some of the other wiring for the new controller as well.

His feels so quick, I have to put it side by side with some standard bikes.

SplinterOz said:
Gregory said:

No I won't, the red wires were from the bench setup for he motor. My orange HV wires are back on. I have to change some of the other wiring for the new controller as well.

His feels so quick, I have to put it side by side with some standard bikes.

Definately do that! Would be nice to see.

Nice video! :mrgreen:

I need to learn how to do wiring harnesses neatly... Tantalisingly close mate!

Back