Anyone have aggressive confontations with pedestrians?

HAROX said:
I can't physically make what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Maybe this is a sound card type application perhaps. Instead of a bell or a horn, have a speaker. Make it whistle. Push a button and the speaker whistles, "Trailer for sale or rent". If they don't move over, push the button again, "Rooms to let fifty cent". If they don't move then, push the button and it sings the ending:
"I'm a ...man of means by no means…King Of The Road."

Haha, that would be pretty easy with a Raspberry Pi computer :)

bowlofsalad said:
When crossing paths with children or animals, even when they see me and are going on the opposite direction, in a situation involving a multi-use paths or whatever, always slow way down, 5-10 mph tops.
Yeah, I didn't want to group kids and dogs together, but that's another scenario when I almost always slow down and definitely use extra caution. Just this season alone we had one tyke swerve on his bike into a potential head-on path with us and in another instance some parents walking toward us were letting their toddler run all over the path, taking no cognizance of our presence trying to ride past. When I extended my hand in exasperation at the parents the jerk had the gall to call ME an a**hole. I called him a f***'in moron or some such and continued on my way, ignoring his challenges to come back and duke it out with him. Damned neanderthal.

Uh...I was planning on posting this when I got home so any timing is purely coincidental...but...

this is what causes lots of people in my town to get pretty upset:
Jackson Danica Strolling.jpg
If you cannot tell, I allow my son to ride his trike...with my daughter's stroller "coupled-up". I control whether he moves or not, but he controls the direction. He is amazing. If I say left...he goes left. If I say right...he goes right. If I say left or right edge...he goes to the corresponding edge of the road or sidewalk. He knows how to conduct himself sensibly in all of the situations we encounter...even idiot drivers. There are places where he asks: Why is there no sidewalk here? And I find myself asking the same thing in those areas. We go everywhere it is sensible to do so. Even at the shopping plaza. We uncouple at shops and restaurants...he parks in a sensible spot, and away we go. He gets paranoid about leaving his trike outside in some spots...and I get paranoid in those same areas. The good thing is, he is very strong from it. We have gone over 4 miles together like this, and he is a soldier. I always know when he will get tired...and we just find anice place to stop, or play, or rest, or eat.

However, some people completely lose it over this arrangement. Apparently, children are all stupid, completely unreliable, and incapable. I have seen those children...they are called their children. Usually these people do not get aggressive. Usually...just the opposite. They talk nicely to the children while trying to place some sort of digs at my parenting. Oh well. The worst I have had was someone who was setting in her car, and pulled out a piece of paper and started frantically writing. She rolled down her window and asked my son how old he was. He said 3, and his sister was 1. He started talking to her about our day...and by the end...she understood how my giving him this had really opened his curiosity. At the end...she told me it was just so unusual...but was clearly wonderful. Thinking outside the box...er...actually inside the box starts very early. Thinking outside the box sometimes never starts. My children explore their world like it a big forest...the way I want them to.

Go slow around people. They deserve it.

>> Hydro-one said it best. :wink:

I don’t own pepper spray. Never thought of owning pepper spray. I’m a little guy. Too old now to run fast. If someone wants to mug me I know I’ll get at least one good punch in where it counts – and that’s all that matters. Other than that – I depend on my wits and wisdom and humor and humility. It is far far easier to apologize than to escalate – even if you are in the right. It costs nothing, no money whatsoever to save lives and property.

Doesn’t mean I always did this. No, this is experience talking. Walking or riding away in any direction is by far the best method, and apologizing and not arguing or reaching to something is the second best.

I like the police report idea. Many years ago I had some asshole follow me on the freeway and jack with me. I got his license and made like a bee for the CHP office nearby – which like an idiot – he followed up to the point where I pulled into the parking lot. I have no idea what happened after the report.

One important note: I rarely use bike trails. There is one that runs along the freeway that saves me an awful lot of time – so I take it, but I make sure to slow down when passing peds and cyclists; I use the little “people bell” <ding ding> to warn them before I pass. They still give the “WFT!?!” expression cos they’re going at their top speed and don’t expect anyone to pass them. Except for one in particular – no one has complained; the “people bell” gets me off the hook.

If they’re old people (or women with prams) I slow right on down to 5 mph – seriously! And I say “Hello”.

Funny someone mentioned cyclists with headphones; there’s no helping those people – they have tuned out and will always be startled. Idiots.

The one particular previously mentioned was a big oaf cyclist back in 2011 that I’d encounter up to 2X/day going in the opposite direction on my commute to Seattle and back over the I-90 Floating Bridge. There is no other way for me to go to Seattle unless I want to take a 30-mile detour above or below Lake-WA, and I can’t go on the freeway proper cos I’m a bike. But here’s this big inbred phuk who thinks he’s got the right to bitch me out and try to block my progress. Fortunately I use Hydro-one’s idea and with plenty of hp and maneuverability, he couldn’t catch me. Heaven help him if he ever did cos I don’t know what I’d do – but touching me and my ride is unacceptable and I am certain I would react most diligently to prevent another assault – little elf that I am. Grrrr! :x

I’m non-violent, but you don’t want to box me into a corner – that’s all I’m sayin’ :roll:

As a rule, I try not to harsh on peoples’ mellow. Treat others as you wish to be treated. So I pass with care and consideration. Not always, and I know I can be a jerk sometimes – but I do try to be mindful. It’s work-in-progress; I am flawed – I know it, though not nearly as bad as my last neighbors. :p

Normally, during the commute - I ride in the street with traffic until I hit the freeway, then I take the bike path that runs parallel. As I said – I try to be mindful and friendly. It’s best to just avoid confrontations – end of story.

~KF

Harox that's one of my favorite song's King of the road some guy today was just playing that live at my Mom's place. i was even singing it in my head 20min. ago. on my bike at 30mph. haha. I want to fill a bike pump with lead just in case. now who's King of the road ?

Seeing as 90 % of people posting here are 'mericans, isn't it everyone in America has gun/AK47/RPG in their purse/glove box/pannier?

LSBW said:
Seeing as 90 % of people posting here are 'mericans, isn't it everyone in America has gun/AK47/RPG in their purse/glove box/pannier?
Haha
In a few years of commuting on shared path in Aus @ 10hrs/week had 2 people shout
1 because I rang the bell a bit too late and spooked him
2 when I wore a full-face helmet

Meh.. Prob some tourists :lol:

In 08, I passed everybody on the trails at 20 mph. I was definitely a dick. But the trails were very empty at that point. I was only seeing people once or twice a week.

The problems began as summer came. The ladies walking and joggers moved their exercise time to the same time I did my commute, as the weather heated up. After 7:00 AM, too hot for outdoor exercise.

I very quickly came to stop passing people fast, until they had let me know they were ok with it. I'd honk my horn from way way out, they'd know it was me by the particular sound, and trusting me, I could still pass some of them fast. Others told me they wanted slower pass, and got it from then on.

This worked for me, because only regulars were on that path in the AM, and except for the three bitches, I was able to work out a workable pass for them all. In the PM, I'd be riding home in the desert heat. Almost nobody fool enough to walk that path by then. So I could blast it all the way home.

Occasional strangers on the path, I'd pass at 5 mph for sure. Only that one time with the 30 musclebound joggers did anyone new make a point block my path. But I just refused to say sir yes sir to those knuckeheads. FWIW, I was not overtaking them, they saw me coming for half a mile, and decided to kick me off the path.

LSBW said:

You mean like this?:Armed Bike 2.jpg

OK, it's a motorcycle, but the SAW and RPG could be mounted on a bicycle too. Sure to get those pesky pedestrians out of the way. Great for cars that cut you off too.

LSBW said:

Yes some of us do. But if you may have noticed not a single mention of that was brought up in this thread.

FWIW I often carried concealed with my permit but not since I am temporarily living in CA. Don't have a single fire arm here for legal reasons. You want to know what happens when I carry? I found over the las 13 years that when I carry I am a better person who let's things go and avoids confrontation at all costs. Been called a total pussy while I was carrying and my response back was an agreement to the statement while I got into my car and left.

Search out some of the gun boards in the USA and you will find an overwhelming majority of armed people who will go out of their way to avoid a confrontation. The reason is pretty simple. You realize things could go bad very quick if you decide to play tough guy. I have only played tough guy when in armed when I think back. I hold myself to an extremely high standard if I have a lethal weapon on me and I often do if you count a pocket knife.

I believe there is some validity to the statement that an armed society is a polite one. Everyone I know who has a permit acts the same way. Strip away the keyboard warrior facade and underneath you will usually find a human who makes good judgements when it really counts. I have read and met many people who are armed and ended up involved in a bad situation and their stories pretty much are all the same, they do what ever it takes to diffuse or get away without conflict.

Regardless of personal views many have on weapons or confrontations, in the end it is rare for any violence to actually take place. When the situation is cleared and the person has time to reflect back, that is often when the keyboard warrior comes out. I am not excused from this either.

At the end of the day I like meeting people and talking to them, most others are the same. Everyone has an ego that sometimes needs attention and the internet is often where its dumped out in words.

In the end physical confrontation sucks even if you know you will win, because even afterwards when the adrenaline clears, you will worry about the consequences of your actions.

I'll step off my soap box now.

That thing about politeness is true. You have a lots of guns there per capita, but guess who"s fourth in global world ranking? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

That"s welfare state for you, we are basically privately armed to the teeth, on global scale.
Still i would say only few people carry, but when you see their homes, it"s a different story usually.
Physical confrontation sucks, that"s true also. It rarely ends there in a small country like us, but leads to a revenge and counter-revenge, and then everybody is behind bars.

zombiess said:
LSBW said:

Yes some of us do. But if you may have noticed not a single mention of that was brought up in this thread.

FWIW I often carried concealed with my permit but not since I am temporarily living in CA. Don't have a single fire arm here for legal reasons. You want to know what happens when I carry? I found over the las 13 years that when I carry I am a better person who let's things go and avoids confrontation at all costs. Been called a total pussy while I was carrying and my response back was an agreement to the statement while I got into my car and left.

Search out some of the gun boards in the USA and you will find an overwhelming majority of armed people who will go out of their way to avoid a confrontation. The reason is pretty simple. You realize things could go bad very quick if you decide to play tough guy. I have only played tough guy when in armed when I think back. I hold myself to an extremely high standard if I have a lethal weapon on me and I often do if you count a pocket knife.

You just earned a load of cool points! =) My brother conceals but I think he does it for the sense of power and superiority. All the wrong reasons. Same reason he carries a throwing knife, big ass karambit, and utility switchblade along with his Glock and spare mags every day.

I'm a pretty big guy and it's fairly rare I meet someone who is my height, but I really hope i don't ever have to get into a serious fight. I'd rather run away and be thought a coward. Unless my wife is involved.

I admit, there are times when I'd like to have a set of truck-level air horns
to get the attention of oblivious headphone wearers...
but for 99% of situations this little bell does the trick: http://www.mirrycle.com/brass_solo.php

Recommend the brass version, not the chrome.
Brass bell is surprisingly loud and clear for tiny size.
Very 'sweet' note, non-threatening but attention getting.
Reminds me of either the ice cream man (if I'm hungry) or zen temple (if not).
Only person it occasionally annoys is my main riding partner, but that's only because
I ding it without reason from time to time while riding or in the workshop just to enjoy the sound :lol:

Bells are what I use on all my bikes, when approaching from behind the sound is easily recognized as a bicycle and slower folks usually move over. I think the cheery sound is less rude than shouting "on your left" after sneaking up behind someone.

Couple of interesting things I noticed.

You can pass most people under around 30 at fast speeds and they do not seem to care much. Many will want to stop you to talk about your bike and young kids will usually get excited. It is usually the older grumpy folks who make a stink.

You can pass most minorities at fast speeds and especially Mexicans and they seem to not care either. They usually just look with curiosity.

You can pass Asians at fast speeds because even if they do not like it they will not say anything.

You can pass tourists at fast speeds and they will not say anything.

Blacks are usually not a problem at any age, they seem not to care or just realize that someone passing them on a bike at fast speeds is nothing compared to what they see in their own neighborhoods.

This was meant as a joke, but this is what I have observed based on peoples reactions.

QuestionMan said:
I just had a pretty bad confrontation with a pedestrian that could have ended badly. I was wondering if any of you had any issues with pedestrians that could have led to violence?

I passed this guy maybe doing probably 15MPH, maybe 20MPH tops but I doubt it. It was a steep
I hate to say it, and I don't expect to be popular saying it, but unless you deliberately enjoy frightening pedestrians I would say you were in the wrong.
Most walkers don't expect any one to go up hill that fast behind them in a park and a certain percentage will get very angry and that is never going to change.

Every time I go through my local park on the way to work I often think about how easy it is to be completely oblivious to how much you can annoy people whizzing past at speeds that may feel quite slow just as much as how car drivers can be completely oblivious to knocking us off our bikes due via not even merely using their mirror looking to a slight angle with just their eyeballs to see who might be around them. Absent minded vehicle drivers are the very people all cyclists wish they could send to nazi style death camps, and yet some how you have become the very same person to this pedestrian that you swore to destroy.

People are dumb and if you want to avoid confrontation people expect the other party to think hard about what they could be doing wrong, no matter how easy that wrong was which often is caused by doing "nothing".

The fingers said:
Bells are what I use on all my bikes, when approaching from behind the sound is easily recognized as a bicycle and slower folks usually move over. I think the cheery sound is less rude than shouting "on your left" after sneaking up behind someone.

Agreed. Shouting "On your left" seems to be unusually obnoxious, as if it to say, "Bitches, get out of my way, now!". Whereas a ding of the bicycle bell is like someone politely asking to pass through.

The shouting thing is totally confusing IMO. In a place like NYC English is often not spoken fluently. In addition, what's "on your left" mean in a split second? That comment could actually send someone to move to their left if misheard or misunderstood.

Bell is best to merely let someone know you're there if they don't have shit stuffed in their ears. Thinking it's a polite request is foolish IMO. There are no "requests" on paths or in traffic. You either pass and move along when it's safe/clear or you don't.

Couple days ago I tried to followed a Lycra who was hauling ass, weaving in/out of walkers and slower bikes. Totally unacceptable behavior and majority of those he nearly clipped were quite upset. I saw the problem and backed off to my usual "polite pace" but it was interesting to see how this isn't an eBike problem as much as a human problem.

I remember seeing a highway traffic study years back that concluded that accidents increase exponentially with speed differentials. Anything more than 10 mph difference in average speeds mixed together started to show some significant accident risk. With tots and pets running around on paths, it is no excuse for any of us to speed past. The passer is always at fault! If you can not deal with it as I most times, avoid the path and take your chances on the road.

oww yes, when I pass pedestrians with a kid and the kid jumps in front of my bike @ 15km/h the kid gets the blame from the parents

and when I pass pedestrians with kids @ 6km/h I get the blame for riding to fast -_- then they start yelling and swearing at me in front of their kids lol

I always make sure i can stop in time just in case a kid / dog has the great idea to jump in front of me

It's also funny how some people go into "error" mode when i get closer and they start dancing left and right but that usually ends up with them and me laughing :lol:

reminder: DON'T USE ULTRA BRIGHT HEADLIGHTS IN TRAFFIC! (tried it once... almost ended up bad) just aim the beam to the ground ;)

3nslav3 said:
oww yes, when I pass pedestrians with a kid and the kid jumps in front of my bike @ 15km/h the kid gets the blame from the parents

and when I pass pedestrians with kids @ 6km/h I get the blame for riding to fast -_- then they start yelling and swearing at me in front of their kids lol

I always make sure i can stop in time just in case a kid / dog has the great idea to jump in front of me

It's also funny how some people go into "error" mode when i get closer and they start dancing left and right but that usually ends up with them and me laughing :lol:

reminder: DON'T USE ULTRA BRIGHT HEADLIGHTS IN TRAFFIC! (tried it once... almost ended up bad) just aim the beam to the ground ;)

YES!!! Don't get me started but BLINDING lights on bikes = intelligence (lack of) made visible!

hydro-one said:
in my experiance the best thing you can do is:

Just Ride Away :wink:

especially when someone is yelling. Assuming your backpack isnt on fire.

This

As for me, I got cried at by pedestrians, drivers (even after they hit me), chased by dogs more or less rabid, by parents (more or less rabid), thrown off the road by buses, trucks and once by a police car. Lick your wounds and walk away unless you're in the wrong in which case face your mistake. Can't wait for someone to hit be because I passed him/her too fast, there are a few coins to be gained to finance my next project :twisted:
...the other day, not because I wanted, but I was jogging and just when passing a lady she dropped her small dog from her arms, the dog freaked out and I couldn't avoid stepping on it. Poor dog, idiot owner. She started yelling, I continued running, what was I suppose to do? The dog was oke I guess, I looked behind and it was running about with a demented owner chasing him.

Ykick said:
Bell is best to merely let someone know you're there if they don't have shit stuffed in their ears. Thinking it's a polite request is foolish IMO. There are no "requests" on paths or in traffic. You either pass and move along when it's safe/clear or you don't.

You can certainly drive/ride as if you're not asking for permission, but that doesn't mean that other people don't. When there's 3 people abreast on the path and I ding my bell, I'm certainly not just letting them know I'm behind them merely to inform them I'll be riding behind them for the next mile or two. Now, in the case you can pass, but maybe not completely safely if they get startled and swing their arms wildly or jump, then sure, it's just letting them know you're passing.

Back