BAFANG power for the folding Montague for the airplane

bike 007.jpgI started the process today, and unless I am missing something, it would appear the Montague is a prime candidate for a mid drive BBS02 (or similar) type of drive. After finally realizing the sprocket side bearing retainer nut was left hand threaded, it was pretty quick and simple. Keep in mind this is my first E-bike work of any kind, and in fact my only bike work to date of any kind has been changing flat tires and lubing the chain! I'm really liking the ground clearance, due to the Montague frame it is able to tuck up nice and high. I have heard that sometimes the motor looses position, as the only thing holding it is friction. I think I'll preemptively use some aircraft stainless tie wire (I love that stuff, and use it on lots of things) to secure it to the vert bike tube, for good. It will look hokey but it sure will work.

As a quick intro, I've been flying with 2 different Montagues in two different small experimental/homebuilt category airplanes , for nearly 20 years, and I've been flying hang gliders, ultralights, and airplanes for over 40. The bike is worth it's weight in gold when at the end of a long day I land outside some small town in Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming, and want to get something to eat and oh yeah, a cold brewski. Not to mention some mo gas, which is all I use, never leaded Av gas. Getting the Mont electrified will increase my useful range big time, giving me more options for obtaining all of the above items.The plane is SMALL, and it is just a happy fluke that the Mont fits as well, or at all. A lot of planes much bigger, can't fit a Mont as easy as my RANS S7-S does, so I plan to continue taking full advantage of this fact. This plane, "Honey", is specifically designed and extensively modded to not need airports of any kind, as a result most of my flying is what we call "off airport". It uses a the Rotax 912S engine, nothing like the older Lycoming or Continental aircraft engines, and is also extremely quiet due to an aftermarket muffler I added, stealthy as it were.

The thing going on right now in the biking community, some embracing E-bikes, others bitching and moaning about them, reminds me of when I first powered up my hang glider, and the purists didn't like it. It will take a while to all settle out, and some people will never like it, same with landing off airport and conventional pilots who only land on long paved runways at airports with control towers. Or like when snow boarding first came about, some of the skiers bitched like hell, but eventually us knuckle draggers got accepted. I am curious to see how the local bike community responds to my two different E-bikes, as not much of a bike guy to date I don't know how many, if any, E-bikes there are in my area but will shortly find out. It's all good, that's for sure!

Attachments

• 3-13-15 001.jpg
    3-13-15 001.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 3,619
That's a frame I've liked for a while, what style battery are you looking at, one of those shark packs on the top tube?

The one case where a backpack to carry the battery could make some sense.

But maybe best of all would be something small, say 36v 10 ah, and carry it in a bag on the handlebars. Not lifepo4, too bulky and heavy
You should be able to get a battery that only weighs about 5 pounds.

DSC_0951.JPGI am using Luna Cycle as my parts source, the BBS02 kit included Luna's tweaked (upgraded) 3077 controller. The battery I chose is a 52v Samsung, 11.6 AH. I liked the weight and the physical size of it, it's electrical characteristics were secondary as I am really just starting to get up to speed on the entire subject of E-bikes and really don't know what I'm doing! But, it appears that battery is pretty highly regarded, as to where I am going to carry it, one thing for sure is it has to come off the bike when carried in the plane. So a back pack was my first thought, but I'm also toying with a velcroed bag hanging from the horizontal tube. Getting that to not swing side to side could maybe also be taken care of by more velcro, I'll figure something out, with the backpack as the fall back plan. I like the stealth of that.

This plane has a Swiss muffler on it I built. It's an additional muffler that the Swiss came up with years ago when new noise restrictions when in effect over there for light airplanes. Everywhere I go I am told that mine is the quietest plane they have ever heard! So when I first started reading about keeping a E-bike stealthy for various reasons, I had to laugh. Being stealthy is good, people can't or won't complain if they don't even know what you're up to. I consider it a simple way to avoid conflict, with no real detriment to me so why not?

I want to be able to recharge the bike battery in flight. The Rotax has a 20 amp charging system, and my inflight power draw is less then 5 amps. So, I should have the capability to run a small AC/DC inverter (I already have a 300 watt one, and testing shows that it easily supplies the charger that came with my Trail Viper) and then plug the Mont's charger into that. I bought a charger already, but I'm not happy with it, too heavy! I will probably buy the new charger Luna came out with a couple weeks after I bought the old school charger (damn it) and hopefully it is significantly lighter. Once I finalize the charger selection I'll finalize the inverter selection. I briefly considered other options, but I feel using the ac inverter and the "already figured out" 52 VDC charger will be the simplest and safest.

Which brings me to the ideal place to store the battery inflight, in otherwise unused space in this small plane. A place that would be quick and easy to get to, and not require a lot of extra hassle to secure, plus be safe in a hard deceleration (what we call a crash :shock: ). I have such a place, on the plywood floorboards, slightly behind my seat, where the passengers in this tandem seat airplane put their feet. When I carry the bike, the rear seat and any passengers stay home, and a plywood cargo deck goes over the rear seat area, I can't fit the pass, seat and the bike at the same time. On this cargo deck, I usually carry a 6 gallon ferry tank, just a marine red plastic aux fuel tank, strapped down of course, and plumbed into the aircraft fuel system with a quick disconnect fitting. This tank is one of the ones I haul on the Travoy folding trailer to get more mo gas when on a trip. So..... my question and/or concern is, while this empty space is handy and seemingly ideal to stow the battery in while flying, it is also right along side some fuel lines, and immediately below the 6 gallon fuel tank.

It seems lately that every other day there is media coverage on battery fires (most recently with Hoverboards), using lith-ion cells. While many seemed to be from crappy recharging practices.over charging, some may be caused by physical damage. My selection of the top quality Samsung battery and it's charger will be largely biased by how safe it is in flight. Still, I may abandon the idea of recharging in flight, under a fuel tank, and may resort to carrying it out on a lift strut. It's small enough to be low drag (and I could make a little streamlined enclosure for it). It'd be safe there no matter what, unless any fire got hot enough to melt the aluminum lift strut anyway :roll: Though the wind should preclude that. Weight is always a big factor, (and the main reason I didn't go with the new HD 1000 watt BAFANG, it weight 3.5 lbs more) so making a fireproof metal box of some kind is a last resort, the more I think about it, the simplest and lightest way to stow the battery is out side, away from a fuel source, the recharging wires could easily be taped more or less permanently to the underside of the lift strut. Carrying things on the lift struts is done fairly often when no other options exist, some routinely carry their (folding) lawn chairs out there, I've delivered solar panels to customers hundreds of miles away that way. Anyway, is this fire thing, overstated, or do my special circumstances make it prudent to get it the hell away from my fuel lines and fuel tank, I think I know the answer.

View attachment 3Here is what I have come up with for battery locations so far.

1. Hanging it from the horizontal cross bar, in a custom sewn velcro secured bag. I briefly considered a sheet aluminum bracket clamped to the oval bar, but it would be in the way when folded. One thing I like about the hanging bag concept is that the bag would serve as well as a battery bag/protector when off the bike. In fact, the same heavy velcro straps could serve double duty if I had other velcro where I may store it in the plane. I also thought that if I scarfed out a groove in a nice light piece of 1 x 4 wood, corresponding to the profile of the bottom of the hor tube, it would help locate the bag better, keeping any swinging side to side down to a minimum if at all. I would have this profiled 1x4 sewn right into the bag, so I could snug up the battery up tight against the tube, and then wrap and cinch the velcro.

2. The other option is since I have so much ground clearance to "give away" (with the motor up as high as I can get it, 3 or 4" above the bottom of the drive sprocket) I went ahead and loosened up the motor attach bracket and pivoted it down a bit. It's still well higher then about any mid drive installs I've seen, still above the sprocket, so no problems there. With that little bit of extra room resulting, I now have room to install the battery vertical. I have three nutzerts in this tube, for a water bottle I guess (I never even noticed them until now) and if I fab up a sheet aluminium or wood (aircraft plywood, super strong though thin, well varnished) bat box, I'd have those three screw to secure it. The front of the box would be open, lets call it more of a tray then a box, with just a 1" or so lip at the bottom front. I would insert the battery from the front, and once tilted back up against the back of the tray (I have some 1/4" closed cell foam I could use for padding there and on the sides)a velcro or webbing strap would keep it held back. It couldn't jump up high enough to come out of the 1" lip in front because it would have the bottom of the hor tube to prevent that. I'd have 1/4" of space above the motor, and the battery weight would be down lower then the first concept.

It was time to try it in the plane, like I had hoped, the folding process was totally unencumbered by the new addition of the motor, and it lifted and fit into the plane also exactly the same. Once it was in the plane I realized I would want to not build the tray as high as the battery is tall, or I would have an interference problem with my shoulder harness inertial reel. So I could build it 2/3 of the battery height, and as the battery will always be pulled before the bike goes in the plane (if for no other reason it'd interfere with that inertia reel) and if the retaining strap at the upper end of the tray, I can't see any way for the battery to get loose. Folding the bike also showed that any battery tray secured to the vert tube would not alter or get in the way of anything. Cool......Time to make a mockup, I welcome any comments on either the hor tube bag or vert tube tray. And of course, I still have the backpack option! Thoghts on that also appreciated by others that have done so. Oddly enough, this is similar to the way the main airplane Earth X lithium ion battery is also secured, with a bare minimum of battery tray, other structure precluding it moving once set into place. In both bikes and airplanes (and the two have a long parallel history, need I mention the Wright Brothers?) keeping it simple and most of all light is paramount!

One picture showing the bike folded and resting on the concrete floor shows the motor is the new first place to touch when setting it down somewhere. The good news is this contact point is NOT the cable exit point (possibly pinching or wearing the cables) but a raised part of the housing where a bolt goes, so short of slamming it down, this should be OK. More and more this build is coming together amazingly well, like they say "if you can't be good, be lucky!"

Attachments

• bike 2 007.jpg
    bike 2 007.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 3,660
  • bike 2 013.jpg
    bike 2 013.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 3,661
Don't know whether you're still considering a frame bag but Revelate Designs and at least one other company (Ovega Negra, I think) make them for bikepacking, and the latter will do custom work (maybe the former too).

I'm sewing up a frame bag tomorrow, I have a friend with a commercial sewing machine. The test ride today ( just straight pedaling) showed under the horizontal tube was better both for weight distribution and also simpler, lighter, and.... more stealthy!

YAY! I'm sure you will love it.

For maximum safety while flying with the battery, and actually, at all times, do something to pad or protect the battery. Chafing through the shrink because it can move even slightly in the bag is an issue. I like to just use old coroplast signs to make a tight fitting box around my batteries. This helps prevent any mechanical damage that can cause a short.

To carry safer in the aircraft, find a metal box of some kind that the pack fits into. ammo box, tool box, whatever. Then if the thing starts to stink and smoke, you have a chance to heave it out the window in time if the thing should start to go off while in flight. Chances of that happening is low, but like the recent hoverboard fires, it's not impossible.

You would have to be able to reach it though, that could be a problem. Shelf on top of the gas tank?

I may end up keeping it on the floorboard right between my feet while in flight. That way it would be a few inches away from my other lithium -ion battery (EarthX), which is the main plane battery. Where I could grab it and keep an eye on it, rather then someplace inaccessible. I really don't want to pack a metal box around if I can help it, being a weight weenie. It would also allow very short wiring between the inverter and charger, it could all be in the same area, kinda up under the panel /on the firewall. The Earth X has really made some waves in the small airplane world, when people realized we could chuck the 11 to 13 lb gell cells we were using and get a barely 3 lbs battery (and a fraction of the size also) to do an even better job. Many so called experts chimed in saying we were crazy to put those potential bombs in our planes, but they have proved safe, mine isn't in any enclosure even. 3 years now and zero issues and a huge weight savings. So, to date my personal lith-ion experience has been nothing but positive. Even including the new little cheap cordless dust buster I bought this year, that thing ran all summer, vacuuming up flies off the windowsill, on the charge that it came shipped with! Eric at Luna is also a pilot, so at some point I will ask him, pilot to pilot, what he thinks :D Do I really need to fly with oven mitts handy? :shock: One of the major news networks had a lithium/aircraft horror story, several of them, right in the middle of this decision process, thanks to those damn Hoverboards.

I ended up wrapping the battery in 1/4" foam, denser stuff, almost like a sleeping pad type of foam, not the soft less denser stuff. On the end that will bump up against the bike frame I have a small square of thin aircraft plywood to take any abrasion. Then on top, where it will be in contact with the underside of the bike frame when strapped into place, I put an additional layer of other white foam that came with some shipping. It has an unusual type of density, so unusual I stashed it away thinking "this will come in handy for something". The battery bag has 2" wide straps (for greater weight distribution, not because I needed the 2" strength) that transition to 1" and into Fasttech quick disco fasteners (http://www.fastech.ch/index.php?page=1539) It was too awkward with the first fasteners I used to hold the battery in place while threading the web strap through the cam loc buckle, with the fast-tech fasteners I can instantly snap it into place, and then get the final snugness I want (compressing that white foam on top a bit, so no movement while riding) by pulling on web straps, that don't loosen once taut. I've given it a lot of thought, maybe too much! I don't like the lack of ventilation the battery has, that foam is insulating it, but at least it's padded well. But, the forward and rear ends are not padded, just the less then 1/8" air craft ply there, maybe I'll cut some gaps in the foam, we'll see.

Yesterdays short ride was with wires dangling (pending final positioning and securing while all the time making sure I can still fold it as usual), no rear brake (replacing cabling) or front brake. Just a very short test run, or so I thought. The next thing I knew I was a mile down the rolling dirt road that I live on, and then I had the bright idea to see how it would do in the lowest gear and started climbing the road to the cell towers further up (There is a 9200' mountain 1/2 mile behind me) and then I got distracted with how well and easily it climbed this grade, meanwhile fooling around with the derailleur trying to shift into a higher gear as I had so much excess power, which was also way out of whack like the brakes. Then I cut the test ride short, turned around, and then and only then remembered I had no brakes at all, and had to slalom down the snow covered rutted dirt road to keep my speed under control. Fun stuff, I should be finalizing every thing today. I'm real happy with the weight: 46 lbs 2 ozs. more or less.

Sounds like you have it figured out. The ammo can idea was to give you time to reach around behind you, if the need to chuck it out the window arose.

Between your feet, or behind them was my first thought, but I wasn't sure if it could fit there without interfering with your rudder pedals.

The main thing to realize safety wise, is that bike batteries are not constructed to the quality standards that might be typical of a starter battery. Corners get cut, and if the battery is subjected to a drop, or a crash, or just enough jiggling in the battery bag on the bike, it can cause a wire to chafe and short the pack. Once shorted, the pack will heat up, start stinking and smoking, then possibly even burst into flames.

So charge while flying, but just be prepared to chuck that thing out the window if you smell it heating up. Have a glove handy?

I'm only a hot air certified pilot, but even us crazy balloonists like thinking ahead about shit that likely isn't going to happen, and having a plan b thought out ahead of time.

Yeah, the oven mitt thing may be the simplest plan B, seriously. I do have enough room on the floor boards, I'd just have to move some other gear, my SLR camera and inflight pee bottle mostly. The huge advantage there is it's right where I can keep an eye on it, no out of sight out of mind BS. Nice short wire lengths for the inflight re charging scenario also. As usual keeping it real simple is probably the best way to go. I wrote Eric at Luna just now, and I'll put his 2 cents worth into the mix.

It's good to get another pilot's viewpoint, even if it's not a fixed wing, we both get higher then we want to fall! https://jet.com/product/detail/ef33afc3b2844f88911ae2f884a73dac?jcmp=pla:ggl:home_garden_a3:linens_bedding_table_linens_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=18ef571f-a3ef-4ffb-9abd-e66b5e592d99&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7rmzBRDezri2r6bz1qYBEiQAg-YEtr8X3hwrBufImeiEMIoi9Cfi1p5sP_xpgs5fJEUplLQaAn1G8P8HAQ

Well, it's settled, after some appreciated feedback from Tom at Luna, I'm just going to keep the battery under the right side of my pilot seat while flying. It will be handy, that's otherwise pretty unused space, and in the extremely remote possibility I ever need to, I can get to it fast and just chuck it out the window :shock: It was just lousy timing that I happened to pondering the issue, exactly when the entire "Hoverboards in airplane" thing was hitting the news. Every time I turned on the TV they were showing a picture of a burned out Boeing, and blaming it on Lithium-Ion cells. The usual media hype and exaggeration. Here's a pic of it in the plane with the pilot seat removed, on the right side, that dark rectangular thing. The red thing also on the right and slightly behind is the inverter I will use to run the Luna charger, I'll probably just tape them together and use velcro to keep them from moving around on the floorboard. Nice short wiring between them and the battery, and the plane battery, which is also visible up front between the rudder pedals. I no doubt have a much greater probability of flying into one the more and more numerous small drones then I do a battery fire, so I'm moving on! Having the fire extinguisher (I already had it mounted on the stick) right handy can't hurt either.

It occurred to me that it'd be handy to have a bike stand that allow me to go through the folding sequence, not to mention running the pedals to adjust the derailleur (something I have never done before, I'm a newbie to "heavy" bike maintenance)a, so I made this up out of scrap metal from out in the barn in about 2 hours. It works perfect, and my first test was to hit top gear and go full throttle, according to the display I have a geared top speed (excluding aero drag and friction with the road of course) of 37 mph. That's with the stock Montague 8 sp. rear (not sure of the sizes back there, need to count those teeth sometime) and a 42 tooth front. The initial test rides show plenty of low end grunt also, to the point of a few inadvertent wheelies even 8) and on a snow covered gravel road with low tire pressure 31 mph was attained. I may have hit the sweet spot gearing wise for my needs, we'll see but so far I'm real pleased, surprised even with how well it performs. Gear shifts are easy, no chain issues, about all I need to do still is fine tune the cabling to not bind when folding or otherwise get in the way. That and figure a new mount for the display as on the handle bars won't work as it is so tight in the plane, rubbing up against the control cables is not an option! A small price to pay as I am real lucky it fits at all.

I took it out yesterday in about 6" of snow, and then tried the Travoy folding trailer along behind and couldn't tell any difference. So then, as a picture op mostly, I tied the snowboard on. Then I started thinking, my duffle bag with the rest of my gear would also fit on the trailer, and there are some ski areas fairly close to airports....it could happen. I could fly in, and ride over to the ski area, in fact that is my winter's mission and I'll post about when it happens. Next will be some road tests on pavement, and I expect that to go real well after the conditions I've been riding in around my place. Also, a pic of the Montague in the back of the Toyota Yaris hatch back.

Attachments

• bike3 019.jpg
    bike3 019.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 3,535
  • bike3 015.jpg
    bike3 015.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 3,537
  • bike3 016.jpg
    bike3 016.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 3,537
  • bike3 020.jpg
    bike3 020.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 3,536
Next best thing after flying is skiing or boarding. 8) Only flaw is flying there in a blizzard won't be good. But the day after, sweet!

Driving to ski took so much time, it was always traveling through the blizzard, moving the barriers on the road blocks if need be.

Indeed, and I'm re-installing the planes retractable wheel skis today! I was already the only pilot flying around in the winter on skis AND with a folding bike, now my setup will be even more unique while at the same time being even more utilitarian and practical.

We have a kick ass local ski area right above my place, a 5 minute drive, and I can often hit the fresh powder there in the AM, and then come home and hit more in the ski plane. All close by and I fly out of my place so real convenient, cheap too. Champagne lifestyle on a generic beer budget pretty much!

I got my new Lunacycle charger today, and promptly plugged it into the small 400 watt inverter that I had laying around. Then I connected the inverter to the Toyota's battery and turned everything on. Then I got my multimeter and checked the DC amp draw out of the Toy's battery 34.5! As I have only 20 amps max charging capability, more like 15 once inflight loads are considered, this means I can forget about recharging in flight, I could have done the math but I wanted the charger regardless for home or wherever use, but no way can I use it in flight. The good thing is I can save the weight and wiring of the inverter carried on board the plane. You can't cheat Ohm's Law, now I need to maybe figure another way to maybe put at least a small charge into the 52 volt battery utilizing the 15 amps @ 12 VDC I have available , while still keeping it simple and light. I'm happy with the charger, and will use it at home, I just need to figure something else for inflight.

On the other hand, I rode the Montague through axle deep snow today (downhill) and then 3 miles (round trip) on snow covered gravel to my mail box, and it kicked butt! One problem was I couldn't find my backpack, but rode to the mailbox anyway expecting just mail/envelopes, and then found I had 3 boxes I had to carry back, one the charger! The 1.5 mile ride home was into a 30 mph direct headwind, so I used the max assist level and easily maintained about 20 mph average over the rolling terrain.

One thing: with aircraft and ICE engines, we are used to derating the power output, my place is at 5460' above sea level, so the derate factor is considerable. The propeller doesn't work as well, the wings don't work as well, the engine doesn't work as well, add it all up and it really hurts. It occurred to me today that none of this relates to an electric assist bike, an E-bike motor doesn't care if it's at sea level or up high, same power output... cool.

I always dreamed of a super cub with solar skin. Saw a, memories fading, PA12, maybe 18? that had a great bunk conversion in the empennage. All tricked out like a tiny house in the sky. The ceiling panel was clear. I remember thinking how cool it would be if fabric even got to the level of photovoltaic panels.

My kinda porn.

Attachments

• Heather_Bartlett_USFWS.jpg
    Heather_Bartlett_USFWS.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3,472
Maybe is was one with the others tail feathers. Some odd conversion...dumb brain...

bikes4 002.jpg[attachment=1]bikes4 001.jpg A couple planes back, I had a system that in about 4 minutes would result in a 6'3" flat and level bunk. I had a skylight too, and in cabin speakers for the sound system and a reading light! Sleeping on board was a good deal when someplace with no camping allowed, and it sure allowed me to keep an eye an the plane overnight. The main drawback was that all the gear being carried had to be put outside once the bunk was made up, and if it rained had to be covered, and if it rained and blew had to be covered and secured etc. But it was fun to display at fly-ins, I was carrying my first Montague back then.

Fat tires anyone? For those that don't know, these are the custom tires we use for off airport fun, these are 29" dia, the biggest I can get for my size plane. They make them even bigger, up to 35". I've run them as low as 2.5 psi, so low I can barely push it out the hangar, but so soft they just mush over rocks giving a real soft ride. Tubeless, they are built like a donut, and have special sidewalls allowing for lots of flex. They are handmade by one company, and command a premium price but are the single most important thing for landing on mountain sides or other areas that may have unexpected hazards. I'm switching over to the wheel skis for the winter, the only reason these are coming off.

Attachments

• bikes4 001.jpg
    bikes4 001.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 3,464
Small aircraft tires worked great on dirtboats too. Spendy but they could also take higher pressures to run on as tiny a patch as possible.

After 15 miles of local snowy gravel road riding, today I flew 30 miles away with the modded Montague on board the aircraft for the first time since the conversion. I needed some transportation once landed, I had to get to the farm and ranch supply store, only about a mile or so from the airstrip I was landing at, I do this often. All was well, until a little past the halfway point, when I realized that I had left the bikes front tire and seat on the hangar floor. Now this means I was screwed as far as ground transport once there, but I did manage to borrow an old beater bike from a local pilot, so I got the needed supplies but it wasn't exactly the bike ride I had in mind. 14 degrees BTW. So, I never got the bike out of the airplane, which is now on the wheel skis. It's somewhat rare seeing a full sized folding mountain bike in a small plane, but a bike in a small airplane on skis, with a electric conversion ? You just don't see that every day. Note to self: bring the front wheel and seat next time :roll:

Attachments

• 12-28-15 006.jpg
    12-28-15 006.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 3,367
I took my converted Montague on a 3 hr. first flight the other day. I also took the front tire this time :oops: On the way to Wyoming I landed this ridge top at 8600', it was 9 degrees and I had the battery inside so it was probably about 50 degrees. That's the Grand Teton in the distance. The plane has a heater but nothing like a car heater, more like an old VW bus type heat. Jacket absolutely required but better then nothing, the most important thing being I can keep my feet warm for sure.

Once landed at Alpine Wyoming, the bike assembly process went exactly as normal, the only thing different was the few seconds it took to strap the battery to the cross tube and plug it in, maybe 45 seconds. Keep in mind I've flown with this bike in this airplane for 8 years now, and if anything it went faster because I had also finally gotten around to fine tuning my straps I use to secure the bike for flight. It was also 9 degrees in Alpine (I just put one of the cheap aquarium digital thermometers in the plane, with the probe outside of course, and this is the first time I've flown with a thermo and it is fascinating to watch how the temps change with altitude. This day higher was warmer) so the usual quick assembly was greatly appreciated!

Now the first time I had it on pavement, mostly snow free, and though my eyes watered up a bit due to the cold, even with tight fitting sun glasses, it appears my top speed is at least 31 mph, I am real pleased with that especially as the acceleration to get there was "right now". The side of the road was heaped with snow so I had to share with traffic, at one point going 30 across a bridge I hit some glare ice just when a car was passing me, this was the most exciting part of the entire flight. After lunch the bike quickly got me back to the plane ( I got some funny looks from the guy plowing the runway, hell I get funny looks in the summer when I pull the bike out and ride away, in the winter at 9 degrees, and without pedaling??) and the stowing of the bike went just as quick and easy. For sure, the concept of a folding E assisted mountain bike in my small plane is viable, the extra weight and hassle of "more stuff" is pretty minor and more then paid back by the increased utility.

On the way back I of course landed about a couple dozen times on various snow slopes that looked interesting, one time dropping in near a couple snowmobilers. They came over and we BS'd a bit. To say they were stunned to see the bike inside is an understatement, they were already stunned to see a ski equipped airplane drop in. Then I told them it was a test run for the bike's conversion and they were stunner :shock: I've come up with a simple and quick way to explain to the non rider what an E conversion does for a bike, and I used it with these guys. "IT'S LIKE VIAGRA FOR YOUR BIKE". Though I don't use it, and apparently don't know anyone who does, this seems to get the idea across to others. The other one I use is "it is like having a fully juiced Lance Armstrong on a tandem bike's rear seat behind you."

No chain issues yet, and the shifting is getting automatic pretty much. Shifting to a low gear before stopping is the thing I keep forgetting though I'm getting better at that. One further thing I may do is get a 11-34 8 sp. cassette to replace the 11-32 I now have that came with the bike. That seems like a win/win, though the lowest gear I now have is more then low enough for general use, I want to go lower for trail riding.

Attachments

• 12-31-15 001.jpg
    12-31-15 001.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 3,330
  • 12-31-15 005.jpg
    12-31-15 005.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 3,330
Awesome living man! Are you charging bike battery off the Cub electrics yet?

That's real different "mixed mode" commuting there!

Love it. Would love to be able to fly from my house. I got out of flying often as my nearest airport is 45 minute drive for a rental plane and now I am no longer current not having flown for 2 years... bah....

If your battery is LiCO (Lipo), and if it starts on fire, you can't put it out. It will generate oxygen. When that is spent is when the fire stops. If I could, I would try to cary the battery outside the cockpit in eyesight or with a temperature gage if out of sight. And a release trigger or switch from the cockpit to dump the battery if needed. But would that mean very cold temps? and would that be a problem for the battery?

Back