BBS-FW: Open Source Firmware for BBSHD/BBS02 Controller

I'm presuming by 'voltage mode' you're referring to displayed voltage. This is easily checked, if you have a voltage display and it drops under load then no, it does not apply to displayed voltage.
So today I am on my usual commute to work on back roads, a couple of sections have you holding down the throttle at full for maybe 5 mins without pause. I noticed my battery percentage held at 71% for the whole 5 mins, I let off and after a few seconds it jumps down to 59%.

Anyone else noticed this or have this issue? It's not a big deal but I thought i'd ask the question.
The battery state of charge is usually detected by monitoring the battery voltage, this isn't ideal as the voltage sags significantly whilst under load which would show a falsely low soc.

"The method often used to get round this issue is for the firmware to only update the soc display when there is no significant load on the battery. This generally works pretty well and I guess this is how Daniel has coded his fw, but does give the effect you describe in your post - like you say it's not a big problem."

Previous user was talking about state of charge displayed in %, so I thought it might also apply to state of charge displayed in Voltage.

Suddenly developed Error 30 after tweaking the BBS-FW tool and accidentally turning on the battery without connecting the display.

Last edited:
Anyone else experienced jerky WOT behaviour with unloaded wheel in sport mode (motor slows down every 3 seconds)? Everything seems to be working fine in standard mode.

Anyone else experienced jerky WOT behaviour with unloaded wheel in sport mode (motor slows down every 3 seconds)? Everything seems to be working fine in standard mode.
Sounds like normal behaviour when an unloaded wheel hits a speed limit - try it out on the road and I think you'll find all is well...

Sounds like normal behaviour when an unloaded wheel hits a speed limit - try it out on the road and I think you'll find all is well
Was asking this since there wasn't anything like that with stock firmware (also limited to 40 km/h).

Another concern is 4 second long rattling sound when realising the throttle while riding (normally heard with the motor unloaded for shorter period of time (also heard in videos posted by other users)). Might be something unrelated or because of "Smoother power decrease when releasing throttle to avoid jerk from motor stopping abruptly".
The throttle acceleration response seems to be smoother though (no more snapping sound from the pawls in the hub and easier low speed performance).

Last edited:
Back