Best thing about an e-bike

morph999

100 kW
You can ride on a 90 degree day and not sweat. E-bike makes a 90 degree, an 80 degree day. By the way, my cells are doing just fine.

Cool to hear that. How many cycles now? or miles if you aren't counting cycles.

Yesterday I was with a group of people painting a trailer for a 4th of july parade. The thermometer in the yard was reading 113. Wish I'd been on the ebike! It woulda only felt like 103/ :D

about 300 miles on the thundersky. Not much. It just rains too much here. It's been raining everyday for 2 weeks.

Mouthbreather (a good fix for eating bugs, take up smoking... then your air intake is filtered most of the time) :)

Best thing about an eBike... really, it's gotta be approaching hills and not feeling fear and loathing or making cars behind me angry because I bobble and weave at 3-4mph!

Okay given today is fathers day (was)... I suppose the best thing about an eBike is being not only able to transport my son in an economical and fun way but also, really it's a bit like riding a motor cycle (even if you pedal) and it's the closest my little man is going to get for atleast 18 years (to a street bike) so really it's great that I get to share a little bit of that "thrill" with him now! (the new seat worked great, he was encouraging me to ride off curbs and take potholes at speed on a hard tail... the topeak sitter II has suspension and he was laughing at every bump tonight!)

-Mike

I second on passing cars! :twisted: Especially on roads with stoplights between intersections. :mrgreen:

I also love the routes you can take that cars cannot on paths and on too busy of streets, sidewalks. 8)

The only problem I get with ebiking in the 95 degree here in Austin, is that since I don't sweat, once I stop I get hot. But it's still much more comfortable than pedaling up hills in the heat.

Another great thing about the ebike is that I don't breath in as much exhuast, since I am barely working usually. I can hold my breath till I get clean air easier.

The best thing is biking to work in work clothes and not being sweaty and worked up.

People ask why an ebike? Why not a motorcycle? Because I love riding a bike, but for commuting, I don't like working or sweating. I leave that for my sport road rides.

morph999 said:
You can ride on a 90 degree day and not sweat. E-bike makes a 90 degree, an 80 degree day. By the way, my cells are doing just fine.

Don't forget all the extra calories you burn pedaling along...oh wait..nevermind :lol:
How is the "weight loss" going Morpheous ? have you hit your target weight of 250lbs yet?
Got anymore of your "unique" training or dietary tips like don't super size at McDonalds & go with Medium
Coke not larger etc etc... For others looking to lose a few lbs?

KiM

The motor lets my longtail haul larger loads uphill faster than I could ever pedal it unassisted.
An ebike with adequate set-up makes towing a loaded trailer easy.
A cargo capable ebike is an appealing alternative to the car for many trips.

Expanding their versatility beyond toys would be the best thing for ebikes at this juncture.

mwkeefer said:
Mouthbreather (a good fix for eating bugs, take up smoking... then your air intake is filtered most of the time) :)

Best thing about an eBike... really, it's gotta be approaching hills and not feeling fear and loathing or making cars behind me angry because I bobble and weave at 3-4mph!

Okay given today is fathers day (was)... I suppose the best thing about an eBike is being not only able to transport my son in an economical and fun way but also, really it's a bit like riding a motor cycle (even if you pedal) and it's the closest my little man is going to get for atleast 18 years (to a street bike) so really it's great that I get to share a little bit of that "thrill" with him now! (the new seat worked great, he was encouraging me to ride off curbs and take potholes at speed on a hard tail... the topeak sitter II has suspension and he was laughing at every bump tonight!)

-Mike
Haha! The look on the lycra crowd when I pass them on my cyclone with a swisher sweet cigar in my mouth burning :oops: :twisted: going 30+

[/quote]
Haha! The look on the lycra crowd when I pass them on my cyclone with a swisher sweet cigar in my mouth burning :oops: :twisted: going 30+[/quote]

LOL!!! :shock: :mrgreen:

And I was looking for a good excuse to go buy another fat Cuban,(haven't had a cigar in years!) and you've given it to me! :twisted:

Zoot Katz said:
The motor lets my longtail haul larger loads uphill faster than I could ever pedal it unassisted.
An ebike with adequate set-up makes towing a loaded trailer easy.
A cargo capable ebike is an appealing alternative to the car for many trips.

Expanding their versatility beyond toys would be the best thing for ebikes at this juncture.
Exactly. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to figure out the most energy-efficient and reliable way to do on my cargo bikes...including how to build the bike itself to do the job correctly. :) I've got a long way to go...but even now I can use them better than just as plain bikes, by many many times.

Heck, I couldn't even *haul* cargo if I had to do it totally by myself, with my knees the shape they're in. :lol: Well, if I had a trike to keep the thing balanced while I pedalled along at 1mph, maybe. :p

Miles said:
morph999 said:
By the way, my cells are doing just fine.
Grey cells or battery? :)

I'm thinking adipose cells. Doing just fine. :)

Best thing about an ebike IMO is not being a motor vehicle. No registration, no plates, bike lane/ bike path /parks are fair game, no hunting and/or paying for parking, and something to fall back on for transporation if your drivers licence gets taken. :)

300 miles is plenty of time to find out you got good cells in your pack. Sweet. They should last for years with the monitoring you are doing.

Yeah, dry heat helps. It just was a bummer to be out in it sniffing paint. We had time pressure to get er done, and brushing oil paint in 100+ weather took lots of extra thinner. So lots of extra head rushes when you stood back up. I would really have been happier riding my ebike. Pretty much daily I work in the morning till the heat gets unbearable. The condos I maintain are in a 90% paved area so 140F in the work area is common. Yet at the same time, that area of town around the paved condos often has above 50% humidity because huge trees are nearby in the neighborhood that is mostly large yards and expensive houses. They have irrigation ditch water from EBID, so they flood irrigate in Mesilla Park. So for a few days after they irrigate you can easily be working in a pretty hot, pretty humid place. Half a mile away, completely different with the dry heat.

Then I hop on the Ebike for the ride home and not only is it only 100-110 out on the open street, but the breeze makes it feel even cooler. Very nice riding the ebike compared to a solar cooker worksite.

My favorite thing on the ebike is probobaly riding singletrack trails when it's really hot. In summer, the bike trails can barely be pedaled after 8:00 am, and even then you sweat out all your water in minuites. But motorized, I can go riding and not pedal at all except the occasional spot where a bit of extra tourqe is needed for a few feet. Once it cools down to 90F for the high, I'd rather pedal it before noon. But for the three hottest months I can still ride, even in the afternoon on my dirt bike. The superior handling of the pedal bike makes it worth it to pedal when it's cooler.

liveforphysics said:
I'm thinking adipose cells. Doing just fine. :)

ROFLMAO :mrgreen: very good Luke

The no license no rego/insurance is definately a big plus also being able to ride
on bike paths and other places motorvehiles aren't allowed.

KiM

morph999 said:

If I don't arrive home drenched in sweat it wasn't a good ride :wink:

-R

If it weren't for the E in my trike I would arrive home from a 15 mile ride in an ambulance. :(
otherDoc

Liveforphysics wrote :

" Best thing about an ebike IMO is not being a motor vehicle. No registration, no plates, bike lane/ bike path /parks are fair game, no hunting and/or paying for parking, and something to fall back on for transporation if your drivers licence gets taken. "

So totally true, I reckon that sums it up beautifully.

I'm a professional driver for a living, but I don't even own a car myself at the moment.
Only bought petrol for the lawnmower for the last 2 years.

Another great thing is being able to carry my vehicle upstairs to my apartment to keep it safe "one-handed", almost as convenient as a YIKEBIKE 8)

Going 50km/h on a ebike is scary in a I like to be scared kind of way....50 km/h in a car or a bus is not, unless you are driving and close your eyes and take your hands off the wheel, but don't do that OK?
;)
Moo

It gets humid here in the summer (MN), so I'll perspire at 80F, e-bike or not. 90F while humid is miserable, but honestly e-biking is cooler than driving my car, the AC in which takes a minute to get going, and that is a HOT minute (then the AC hits the new perspiration and I get cold!).

If I get up early enough for work, that ends up being a minimally sweaty ride.

My favorite thing about e-bikes is the turbo button aspect of it. I don't much like hill climbing, but I hate accelerating! The other day I rode 31 miles and used 6 of 10 available Ah. I used the motor maybe half the time. People keep asking if it diminishes my enjoyment of pedaling, I say it improves upon the crappy parts.

Back