Best tires for ebike mtb's road use 24inch

CST cyclops are the older version of the maxxis hookworks. Maxxis and CST are the same companies. I have about 5 of them. Some with up to 10,000 miles on them. Great tire for $15. Yes they come in 24". I just got a 24" pair for $30 from my LBS.

I still haven't been able to figure out why hookworms cost so much more. Dual ply or something? I dunnu. You can't argue with 10,000 miles and no flats though.

auraslip said:
CST cyclops are the older version of the maxxis hookworks. Maxxis and CST are the same companies. I have about 5 of them. Some with up to 10,000 miles on them. Great tire for $15. Yes they come in 24". I just got a 24" pair for $30 from my LBS.

I still haven't been able to figure out why hookworms cost so much more. Dual ply or something? I dunnu. You can't argue with 10,000 miles and no flats though.
Well i for one am guilty of assuming that if something cost more its better. My front tire went flat parked from a hole in the tube seam. I may have judged my tires unfairly. The cut is from an oyster shell which can cut anything and it barely went through the bead. Going to first try replacing the cheap paper thin tubes.

I put new tubes in my tires along with flat protector strips. Went for a ride and got a flat after a few miles. :evil: i rode all day on the patched tubes so not something left in the tire just tires with absolutely no protection.

The cst cyxlops 2.4 24inch tires are 10 bucks on amazon. Hmm hard to believe they could be any good at that price. Not much of a risk trying them out at least financialy.

2-Ply 24” Hookworms are no longer available unless someone is sell their stash. Period. Last year I had one mounted on the rear of my 2WD and another on the trailer. The reason I didn’t have one mounted on the front was cos I couldn’t source another 2-Ply, so I went with the 26” 2-Ply Hookworm that I had in stock (and you know the rest of the story).

If you can find a 2-Ply Holy Roller, that in my mind would be a great quality replacement that is made by the same company. Don’t focus so much on the potential of road noise when traffic will be far louder. Look at the tire weight: Some of the tires out there have really thin sidewalls which offer nil-protection against pointy rocks and brush. I’ll say it one more time... Compare and contrast the weight of these models: A 2-Ply tire will weigh more, even with the Hookworm – that’s how I knew when the ply wasn't stated. No offense to Big Apples (I have a set), but those are beach tires: light thin walled as they should be. You want to focus on whether the carcass is Kevlar-lined (or “Aramid”), and if it isn’t – don’t bother cos nothing is tougher in the bicycle world, other than perhaps Schwalbe – and I have those too but not in a 2.5” wide tire. 8)

Beyond that, the next level of protection is moving to moped tires, and that’s a fitting challenge for both rim and tire in the 24” department.

Almost flat-free, KF

I love my crazy boobs :) they are really versatile, they work well on road, on dirt trails, and they even do okay in the mud. plus they are quite cheap from chain reaction!

bzhwindtalker said:
I love my crazy boobs :)
Bahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kingfish said:
Look at the tire weight
With that in mind, surely these would be alright then.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/innova-swiftor-city-tire
iksct1-1.jpg

These are the heaviest 24x3.0" tire I've seen yet @ 1.5kg each. :shock:

Also, on a side not since it's not related to the OP really. I plan on getting these for off road use. :)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12381
12381.jpg

Cheers

I find Crazy bob's are not great in the wet, very poor grip. Got to take it very slow on the corners now. Broke my thumb a few months back when I came off going around a corner, that I used to handle with no issues with knoblies of all sorts.. They are a very hard compound with poor grip. Put the mileage on them has been great. They have lasted a long time.
I just checked my 'logbook'. I put them on at 3517 miles. I am now up to 5200 miles and still they show little difference between front and rear wear.
I used to go through tyres every 4-500 miles

For me, Hookworms are a slippery mess in the rain, though excellent on dry road. I think Crazy Bobs are a better all round 2-ply 'moped tire' and they're still in production. CB's don't have the best puncture protection so I've been using both Mr. Tuffy's Ultralight & Panasonic Flataway Kevlar liners. So far I haven't had a flat in either but I wonder which is the better approach. Mr. Tuffy according to Mr. Tuffy.

From Mr. Tuffy's FAQ:

Q. How does Mr. Tuffy work?

A. Mr. Tuffy's hard outer layer deflects road debris and keeps it from puncturing the inner tube. The soft inner layer cushions the tube (actually protects it from the outer shell) and helps to prevent sidewall punctures. At times thorns or broken glass may stick in the Mr. Tuffy liner, but the constant movement of the poly-urethane liner grinds thorns into harmless sawdust and broken glass into sand.

Q. Does Mr. Tuffy work as well as Kevlar liners?

A. Kevlar is a microscopic weave of materials that work well at stopping bullets, but they don't provide much protection against a determined thorn, staple or piece of broken glass. Objects that stick in the liner tend to work their way through the weave and into the inner tube. Kevlar liners are far more expensive than Mr. Tuffy tire liners and are not as effective in preventing flat tires. Telling your friends that your tires are protected by Kevlar is pretty cool though … until you have a flat.

Ok, Received the Innova Skinny Kat 24" X 2.1" tire and these are my first impressions.

SAM_0587.JPG

Generaly, they are good. The only markings, aside from the size are the words, "King Wheel". Not sure if that means it is made by Kings Tire, a Chinese make of tire that is popular with the motorcycle enduro crowd or not. Speaking of motorcycle tires, this tire really is more motorcycle like than the bicycle tires I am familular with. The side-wall and overall carcuss is stiff enough that my plastic tire irons wouldn't cut it and I had to use one short motorcycle iron to m ount the tire. I suspect that this is about the largest tire that would fit this mini-motor wheel kit rim. I also installed a Thick Kenda "Thorn-resistent" tube so the overall mounting was a bit of a squeeze.
I rode and raced sport bikes for decades and I have a pretty good handle on compounds, so I gave it "the gouge your finger nail into it" test to see how long it would take the indentation to disappear and I would judge this tire to have a medium to hard compound. This and the amount of rubber where it meets the road should assure a good service life. As far as grip is concerned, I'll have to wait for a road test to comment on that.
Bottom line, I like what I see enough to order another and run them.
EDIT: These worn out really fast. very soft.

I registered to follow this thread.

Can anyone add to this list of wider 24inch tires with (what appear to be) more substantial treads (depth and mass) than is common to bicycle tires? The marketing dept seems to be calling these "motorcycle" tread. Whatever the target market... seems to be pedal beach cruisers so far... they look like they might be a good fit for ebikes.

I realize there is no telling short of user reviews what the actual life or performance of the compounds may be. Particularly since the OEM and other info seems to be lacking on some of these. But they certainly look promising.

41gpyiAU0PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.bikeworldusa.us/Nirve-FatAss-Cruiser-Bicycle-Tire-Black/M/B000QFRSP4.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFRSP4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0030IG1J8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0R09AQ6M1YASZHP0WD6M
02602.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/Innova-Wide-Black-Wall-Tires/dp/B001VAAUV2/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1344109242&sr=1-4&keywords=electra+fatti-0+24
688336_LG.jpg

http://store.electrabike.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/CRUISER_FATTI-O_TIRE__Black__24_x_3_0_/i_0_0_/_688336.aspx
ikskt1-1.jpg

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/innova-skinny-cat-24-tire

Do like the look of that innova. looks like a lighter version of the Heidenau K56 17x2.50 moped tire.
tn_K56_120_k.jpg

https://www.treatland.tv/heidenau-K56-moped-racing-tire-p/heidenau-k56-17x2.50-tire.htm

Any more in this category of "motorcycle tread" 24 inch bicycle tires?
Please post links!

Innova appears to come in a wider version called the "cool cat"
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/882/Tire-24-x-3.0-Cool-Cat/

Well after all the discussion, I went and bought these last night.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3244
3244.jpg

I, like Paul (sorry I didn't agree with you to begin with), now think that Crazy Bobs are dangerous. They let go in the wet, don't pull up when needed, and corner like a kids ride on plastic toy!

Hopefully the above tires do the job. I was set on finding some 3" wide one's (like Nirve Fat Ass), but it was going to be too expensive and difficult to get em, so I gave up.
Hopefully these DMR's do the job well...will find out soon enough. :D

Cheers

Here's the link for that tire, in 24"

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11539

Chain reaction cycles is on the Dogmans prefered vendor list. A great company to do buisness with! Shipping to the USA is not a problem.

I have been riding on some odyssey aitken 24x2.25" tires for a few weeks now and so far I love them. 80 to 100 psi, light,strong, very fast, great grip and handling on road or off. Wish I could upload a pic from my phone.

is it overkill to use Mr Tuffy's liner and heavy duty tubes then overlay it with hookworm

is the liner and hookworms sufficient or will thorns still go through (naturally if caught at the wrong angle)

Just wondering if heavy tubing does anything or even the additional liner?

Not sure about the Hookworms, but the DMR Moto's I bought last year are still going strong. I've probably got about 2000Km's on them now, and the tread is only just below half used.
They work great for road/wet/dirt, and only slip out on wet grass and mud when pushing them hard. Overall, a great all rounder that lasts a long time. I would love it if they made them in 3" wide though.

I use an old tube cut up as a tire liner, and haven't had any punctures in the rear yet. I also use very thick heavy duty DH tubes.

Cheers

I'm using the 20" hookworm (single ply I'm sure) and heavy-duty Sunlite tube on the back of CrazyBike2 on Phoenix streets. So far, despite all the construction debris and glass always on the roads, as well as the goathead thorns always scattered around growing out of cracks in the pavement and out of people's yards into the streets, I have yet to get any punctures, even when the back end has > 300lbs on it between me, the bike, and stuff in/on the cargo pods. (even though it's enough to break the WHEEL, it isn't enough to force stuff into the tire/tube, yet).

So while I would still rather use something moped or motorcycle DOT-rated, so far this does work. I wouldn't bet on it against roofing nails (evne Slime liners don't *always* stop *all* of those), but I've managed to avoid all of those so far.

savage3.0_2.jpg

That is my favorite 24 X 3 right now, street or dirt. i ride it on a DX32 as shown on this pic.
Moto casing, soft gum, and can take the beating of riding as low as 15 PSI

Duro Wildlife Leopard.
It is available 24 and 26", yet the 26 is hard to find.
Also available by Duro, the Razorback has the same size and thread with a harder gum. Equivalents are found under the name of Arrow Racing Savage and Halo Contra.

Interesting that you guy's find the Duro's ok for Street. I find them a bit squirrely under load, but they do grip well most of the time. The main problem I had with them was they were wearing out so damn fast. I wore my Wildlifes down to half tread in only about 750km mixed street/dirt use.

I might have to try the Razor backs for comparison since the Wildlifes seem to be a softer gum.

Cheers

Back