Beware Dick's Sporting Goods! They sabotage bikes!

ZeroCorpse

100 µW
I just had a VERY bad experience at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I purchased a single-speed cruiser bike with coaster brake (steel frame, for later electric upgrade). I took it to the cash register myself and they seemed a little confused that it wasn't brought to them by a salesperson from the bike department, so they called one. He arrived and explained they had to "inspect" the bike before letting me purchase it, and then he did his sales pitch and I turned down their in-store warranty, and waited around for their 30-minute back-room "inspection" of the bike. It sounded normal when I wheeled it to the cash register, but after this inspection, shortly after leaving the store, I noticed a loud grinding noise coming from the rear wheel. I called the bike manufacturer and they said it was a "definitely" a defective coaster brake, and that it could be replaced under warranty but that since I just purchased the bike I should take it back to Dick's and have them exchange it because it never should have left the store in that condition. I called Dick's, no more than 15 minutes after having left the store, and let them know what the manufacturer said. They told me to bring it in.

When I got there, I showed them the problem and they wheeled it back to their back room to "inspect" it some more. When the department manager came out he said he wouldn't replace the bike. He told me that it showed signs of my having been in a "collision" and that he "didn't know what I might have done to the bike since leaving the store." When I told him it had been no more than 15 minutes before I called and came back, he just stared at me blankly. Of course, I was NOT in any "collision" in that time period. I barely rode it for 5 minutes total before determining that it was unsafe, even after their "safety inspection". Still, he absolutely refused to help me. I was polite at first, and got a negative response. I was firm, and still got a negative response. Finally, after some time, he gave in and agreed to take it in back and switch out the rear wheel if I were willing to wait for half an hour.

I had no real choice, so I accepted.

About 30 minutes later, he brought out the bike. I asked him to show me the supposed "collision" and it was a tiny bit of paint scraped off the frame near the rear hub; Hmm... Funny... that hadn't been there when I inspected the hub before bringing it in. :?: Anyway, the wheel wasn't grinding any more, so I said I'd accept that and left.

No more than two minutes into my ride, the tire went flat. I checked it out and it appeared that the base of the air valve had a small puncture in it. It was fine previously. Now, suddenly, it was punctured?!?! I put air in it, sprayed water at the valve, and sure enough there was a small leak at the base of the valve where there hadn't previously been one.

What I believe is that Dick's Sporting Goods pushes their in-store warranty on you, and then if you don't accept it, they INTENTIONALLY cause damage to your bike when they do their "inspection" in the back room, where you can't observe them. Whether they do this to get you to pay for a warranty/repair, or just as petty revenge for not aiding their warranty commission or sales numbers is not for me to say, but I DO know that my bike, which has been in my possession less than five hours now, and has been ridden a total of seven minutes with no incidents of my own making (no curbs, no collisions, no problems caused by my driving. Just a short ride on a smooth, clean sidewalk), had a perfectly good inner tube when I purchased it initially. It held air until AFTER I had them replace the defective wheel, which they only did begrudgingly.

I would advise EVERYONE to avoid Dick's Sporting Goods. The company's policy of making their employees sell warranties has led to some shady business practices, and Dick's does not provide any information to take complaints to a higher level. The department managers seem to be in on the scam. If you refuse the warranty on a bicycle, be prepared to have it sabotaged when they do their "inspection" before you leave.

Oh, and by the way: You apparently have to let them do the bike "inspection" and then they require you to sign and initial several waivers that supposedly absolves them of any liability should you have an accident immediately after the inspection of your bike by the crack team of Dick's.

It seems pretty clear to me what is going on, here. Dick's are purposely damaging their bikes as a means of pushing their warranty. If you fall and break your neck because of it, they're not liable because you signed the waivers to get the bike. Any place that won't let you watch when they do their "inspection" should be suspect.

After looking around online, I've found several similar stories of people who purchased bicycles at Dick's, only to be accused of damaging them after turning down the warranty. Since I could get no satisfaction in-store, I've decided to let everyone know about Dick's business practices. Hopefully, this will save someone from purchasing a sabotaged bike and getting hurt when some part fails during a ride.

Ride safe, and avoid Dick's selling bikes.

I appreciate this story even though there are no Dicks within riding distance for me. :)
This should be on the consumerist site/blog. Then it should be dugg/voted up on digg.com and
similar sites. I can think of some good headlines for this story....
I can image the comments now:
What do you expect buy from a store a called Dicks...

Yeah, this is a job for "The Consumerist": http://consumerist.com/. Sorry for your bad experience. I'll only buy from two bike stores where I know both of the owners and only deal with them personally.

Big stores like this are not known for the expertise of the mechanics or bike staff they hire. all of the bikes are assemled less than perfect, and most likely they just are not familiar enough with bikes to know if a part is broken.

Often times, choosing to go to one of these types of stores instead of a local bike shop is really only cheaper if you know how to work on bikes yourself. Otherwise you run into issues like described. You get what you pay for.

len

OT, but parallel: Never eat at a restaurant that won't let you in the kitchen...

...especially if it's called "Dicks".

:mrgreen:

They are not the only business pulling this shit. A buddy of ours works at a phone store and they are being trained on how to frock up cell phones to get people to sign onto new longer contracts with phone upgrades.

Welcome to the Post-Bush United States of America method of upping profit margins.

Thanks for sharing.

Another option is to pay with a credit card (even though you have the cash). You can always dispute charge with your credit card company (that you were sold a defective product).

Also, some credit cards give you extended warranties that will double the manufacturers warranty on a product. This is another plus by paying with a credit card.

Sounds like the way sears used to operate thier car department. Once, after my wife refused to have them replace virtually evrery part in the brakes, we found all the lug nuts on all four wheels torqued to about 250 foot pounds. I needed an 8 foot cheater bar on the lug wrench to do the brakes myself. Later, there was a class action suit on thier policies, where the mechanics got paid more to sell more work. Guess the guy at Dicks lost a commision when you told him no. I always say at a restaraunt, never piss off the workers till you have your food.

Contact a bike expert, maybe from another store. Go buy a bike with them and pay by credit card. Step outside the store and examine the bike again and film it. Then with camera rolling go back in and confront them. Might want to contact to the local news department and fraud squad before you do it though. Then post the video in youtube. I will caution you however that what you have posted here could get YOU sued for libel.

So which exact Dick's store is this? Location, full address, manager's name, phone number, etc.
Internet lynch mobs can be amazingly effective at correcting the crooked, if they build enough steam.

For an example, try a google search of Charlie Wenzel.

Print this story up and make a hundred copies. Edit it to just include the actual facts, and not suppositions.

Start handing them out to people on the sidewalk in front of the store.

Back