BMW Crushes ActiveE: Opportunity?

jkbrigman

10 kW
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/bmw-caught-crushing-its-activee-electric-test-cars-194553996.html

Anyone got any idea if we are able to get any of those parts? Seems reasonable BMW might have removed the motors, controllers and batteries before crushing....

Those parts look pretty crunchy to me... not sure what you'd be able to salvage and how much work it would take. I'm sure they removed the batteries before crushing.

Hillhater said:
Why the F#@k didnt they give them to college's /universities as educational aids ?
I doubt there is any technology in a 2010 EV that is still "secret"

cause 'Murica?

Sorry to see them go.

Shortly after reading the article I got an email from a local BMW dealer.
Dear Dan,

Now's your chance to be a part of automotive history — and its future. Join us at Drive the Future Now: The All-Electric BMW i3 Event to be one of the first people to test drive the BMW i3 and experience how all-electric driving can be truly electrifying.

Made from lightweight, strong-as-steel Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic, the BMW i3 comes with
184 lb-ft of instant torque. That means the moment you touch the accelerator you know the BMW i3 is, first and foremost, a BMW.

Please reserve your spot now at bmwusa.com/drivethefuturenow or call 1-855-484-BMWi (2694) to see for yourself why everything you thought you knew about driving is about to change.1

ID NUMBER: ITOUR-xxxxxxxxxx
700 E Golf Rd
Schaumburg, IL, 60173-4512

DATE: June 10, 2014

TIME: 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM

I think this is quite strange. I'm gonna try to go and see it and have the misses drive it. I haven't been able to drive since 1983, can't pass the eye test.

Dan

Some amusing stuff on that situation:
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/bmw-crushing-activee-ev-saving-batteries/

cal3thousand said:
Those parts look pretty crunchy to me... not sure what you'd be able to salvage and how much work it would take. I'm sure they removed the batteries before crushing.

BMW will use the batteries in some "2nd life" projects, where the used car battery is used as a solar home storage system.

Cephalotus said:
cal3thousand said:

BMW will use the batteries in some "2nd life" projects, where the used car battery is used as a solar home storage system.

Makes sense. Thanks

Back