Build of Bafang BBS02 from Greenbikekit

My BBS02 bike does 23Mph on the flat,thats with the 46 tooth chainring and 14 tooth rear on a 26 inch wheel.
I weigh 215 lbs and the riding style is leaning forward a bit.
I will be fitting a DNP 11/30 freewheel shortly that will improve that a bit.

easyryder said:
Nice built darth_elevador! ... Can you tell me how fast your bike goes?
Thanks! I can get about about 24 mph on the flat -- wide open throttle without pedaling. Mine's programmed for max 31 mph. On downhill stretches where I've hit 31+, I've never remembered to hit the throttle to verify that it indeed cuts out at 31+.

KINNINVIEKID said:
.... 1408087483 ....
Only 89 units apart -- your Bafang and Outrider's are almost siblings. LOL

KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... top speed was 49.9Mph!!
Wowza! I got scared the other day when I hit a mere 35. :)

KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... I live in the hills of Teesdale England ....
I googled it and it looks like a beautiful area. Do you ever ride over by Barnard Castle? If so, it would be awesome to see a pic of the Bafang with the castle behind it. :) I lived in East Anglia for awhile -- Bury St. Edmunds, King's Lynn, Gorleston, Luton, and Chelmsford, as well as London -- and absolutely loved the castles. Even when it was just castle ruins, I'd stop and get a picture every time I saw one.

KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... this motor has opened up a lot of roads and tracks for me that I could not touch with the Dillenger 1000 watt kit.
With the difference being mostly the better climbing ability of the Bafang? It's the same for me -- I'm going places I'd NEVER go otherwise, either on a regular bike or on my previous ebike (which I sold yesterday as the Bafang is now the new king).

mushymelon said:
Yes there sending one out next week.
One of the reasons I haven't been babying my Bafang is because I want to see if it's up to everything I might possibly throw at it. If it's going to fail, I want it to fail while it's still under warranty. :)

darth_elevator said:
KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... top speed was 49.9Mph!!
Wowza! I got scared the other day when I hit a mere 35. :)
_-_-_- I have had 49.6 out of the Dillenger but unfortunately the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill were on red!
It felt pretty safe as I know where the potholes are and it has Clarks Exo Skeletal hydraulic brakes on..Less than £40 delivered for the pair)

KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... I live in the hills of Teesdale England ....
I googled it and it looks like a beautiful area. Do you ever ride over by Barnard Castle? If so, it would be awesome to see a pic of the Bafang with the castle behind it. :) I lived in East Anglia for awhile -- Bury St. Edmunds, King's Lynn, Gorleston, Luton, and Chelmsford, as well as London -- and absolutely loved the castles. Even when it was just castle ruins, I'd stop and get a picture every time I saw one.

-_-_-_ I ride that way at least 3 days a week. My local pub is just 100 yards from the castle.

KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... this motor has opened up a lot of roads and tracks for me that I could not touch with the Dillenger 1000 watt kit.
[/quote]With the difference being mostly the better climbing ability of the Bafang? It's the same for me -- I'm going places I'd NEVER go otherwise, either on a regular bike or on my previous ebike (which I sold yesterday as the Bafang is now the new king). :mrgreen: -_-_-_ I am thinking I might sell my Dillenger bike shortly along with the Cyclamatic(which needs a rear wheel rebuild).

darth_elevator said:
easyryder said:
Nice built darth_elevador! ... Can you tell me how fast your bike goes?
Thanks! I can get about about 24 mph on the flat -- wide open throttle without pedaling. Mine's programmed for max 31 mph. On downhill stretches where I've hit 31+, I've never remembered to hit the throttle to verify that it indeed cuts out at 31+.

Shezamm, that's fast on a bike! :lol:

Was it hard to build?

easyryder said:
Was it hard to build?
No, we did it in one evening. Hie2kolob had done 2 of his own builds before mine, so he knew exactly how to do it. :)

Placed an order a week ago for the 48V 750W kit, complete with the 50V 22Ah (29E) battery from EM3Ev. Didn't choose the right shipping method (for the battery) so that delayed things a bit.

Can't wait to get the kit and get started.

Here's a stock photo of the 2008 Cannondale Rush 3 base bike (mine is identical).

cannondalerushcarbonteam-700-80.jpg

Anything that I should know about the kit that I need to order before it arrives?

The kit I ordered was:
Bafang 48V 750W BBS02 Kit with Battery
- AC Plug Type: USA
- Battery: 50V, 22Ah (29E) Rect. Pack & 5A Chg BBS48V750WBAT

Mine was £380 for the BBS02 kit,£149 for the bike and £12 for sundries including a BB removal tool and a set of grindstones to get the bit of extra weld out of the BB hole.
I already had the battery but if I didnt I would have got a pair of 16 Ah Multistar lipos for £160.
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68822

So thats a total of £541 or it would have been £701 with the batteries.

By comparison my Dillenger 1000W kit with 10Ah battery was £729 and then it was £110 for the bike,£39 for hydraulic brakes (required!) and £5 for sundries.
Thats a grand total of £883.

Efficiency test today

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63359&p=949902#p949902

It was interesting to pull the programming settings and see what they were. Here they are, which I'm posting here for convenience for my own future reference.

tab001.jpg

tab002.jpg

tab003.jpg

0utrider said:
Oooo... Home made cable?
Yep! :)

programming.jpg

In case others are interested in the details of what I used to make my homemade cable, below is some info I gave to Outrider about it.

WHAT I USED:
--TTL converter
--2 servo extension cables
--very small diameter heat shrink (for insulating the side of the jumpers that go onto the Bafang pins)

TTL CONVERTER
The only thing I had to buy specially for this was the TTL converter. I bought this one for 90 cents, shipped, from eBay seller jellycrewus: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-PL2303-PL2303HX-USB-RS232-TTL-Auto-Converter-Adapter-STC-Module-JC-/111297053313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e9d24281

SERVO EXTENSIONS
You need five jumpers, and each servo cable has three wires, so you need at least two servo cables. I already had some old servo extension cables already on hand, and it's been awhile since I bought any, but I've always ordered them for next to nothing on dealextreme: http://www.dx.com/s/servo+extension

You can also order from Hobbyking or even go to your local RC hobbyshop. You'll get them much quicker that way, since stuff from dealextreme usually takes about a month to arrive.

Alternatively, if you have any friends who are in to RC (cars or planes), you can ask them if they have any dead servos that you can have the leads from. You'll need the connectors from two servos, with at least a several inches of wire to work with.

HEAT SHRINK
I was lucky to have some very small diameter heat shrink on hand from some project in the distant past. Ideally, you'll want heat shrink that is just BARELY wide enough to fit over the female receptacle on the end of the individual lead of the servo extension. Mine was slightly too big and didn't quit shrink down enough, so it's a pretty tight fit to get that 5th and and final connector pluged in.

individual servo leads covered in heat shrink.jpg

CONNECTING IT ALL UP
Three jumpers connect the TTL to the male pins of the green plug coming from the controller. This is the only plug with a green connector; the others are yellow (throttle and brakes). When I say green, I'm referring to the inside coloring -- they are all black on the outside. The other two jumpers connect to each other after the other three are plugged in.

cable plugged in to laptop.jpg

Once you have the fiver jumpers connected and the TTL module is correctly communicating with your computer (I used a netbook running Windows 7), you plug your main battery into the Bafang. It should very quickly detect and then you can read the data from each of the three tabs (and adjust settings as you desire). You have to hit read/write individually for each tab.

When I get a chance, I'll take some screen shots of what I changed my settings to. I have tweaked them several times, with several test rides in between, and I'm pretty happy with the changes. After a 17-mile ride last night with the new settings, I'm very happy with them. :)

Cool, darth_elevador! You can really reprogram your bafang? Where did you learn how to do this?

When I get my kit maybe I can have you help me reprogram it. Is it very hard to do? Would you buy from Greenbikekit again? :)

easyryder said:
Cool, darth_elevador! You can really reprogram your bafang? Where did you learn how to do this?

When I get my kit maybe I can have you help me reprogram it. Is it very hard to do? Would you buy from Greenbikekit again? :)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58780

bafang200miles.jpg

Yay! 200 miles!

My next 200 miles will be on this full suspension Specialized. I picked it up for a song and a dance from a guy who's had it in storage since the first winter after he bought it. The bike is in fantastic condition. With the gracious help of hie2kolob, I moved the Bafang over to this bike tonight. I'll snap some pics in the morning. I took it for a short test ride after the build and can tell this is going to be a really fun bike. Never even ridden a full suspension before, let alone owned one. :)

fsr.jpg

easyryder said:
Would you buy from Greenbikekit again? :)
Yep. In fact, I did buy from them again. I ordered a 250W charger from them to use as a backup charger or for when I want to charge two packs at once. $61 shipped. Less than half of what I paid for a Meanwell 350W.

darth_elevator said:
View attachment 1

Yay! 200 miles!

My next 200 miles will be on this full suspension Specialized. I picked it up for a song and a dance from a guy who's had it in storage since the first winter after he bought it. The bike is in fantastic condition. With the gracious help of hie2kolob, I moved the Bafang over to this bike tonight. I'll snap some pics in the morning. I took it for a short test ride after the build and can tell this is going to be a really fun bike. Never even ridden a full suspension before, let alone owned one. :)

Nice looking bike! Can hardly wait to see what the build looks like!

darth_elevator said:
I was totally blown away when hie2kolob told me he rode his BBS02 Cannondale up a 5,000 foot climb to a nearby mountain peak: http://endless-sphere.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62646

I climbed this same peak yesterday and the Bafang did not disappoint. What a treat to climb my personal holy grail of local peaks!

gate.jpg

View attachment 7

Here's a pic of the Bafang installed on the FSR.

install3.jpg

Thought I'd throw in a little friendly trash talk here. You'll notice in the first picture of this post that I have proof that I went higher up the mountain than hie2kolob did. I've circled the gate in his picture -- that's the gate my bike is leaning against. LOL. Sorry, hie2kolob, but based on this unrefutable photographic proof, I'M KING OF THIS MOUNTAIN. :D :D :D :D

side by side resized.jpg

One of the things I like most about the Bafang is that, with its great climbing power, I am going on rides that I'd never dream of trying otherwise. And this climb was so enjoyable on a bike. A much different experience than in a car.

partway up.jpgpartway up2.jpgfall colors2.jpgfall colors.jpgfall colors3.jpg

An amazing ride and great views.
Just put one of those Topeak racks on mine for the new lipos because the dillenger rack snapped in half yesterday!
and that was with the supporting legs on.

Nice builds,i really enjoyed the night- san Antonio ride,great filming outrider.that was cool cuz ive never been there,now I feel I know the city.

Wow, nice photos and a great ride! Your new bike has everything for off road biking! :)

Can hardly wait till I get mine built.

side by side resized.jpgYep, today you want to be called KOM,

Darth.jpg
& tomorrow perhaps...

LOM (Lord of the Mountain)

all because you Photoshopped your bike by a rusty old gate! :wink:

Back