Build of Bafang BBS02 from Greenbikekit

Hehehe, good one!

darth_elevator said:
KINNIEVIEKID said:
.... I live in the hills of Teesdale England ....
I googled it and it looks like a beautiful area. Do you ever ride over by Barnard Castle? If so, it would be awesome to see a pic of the Bafang with the castle behind it. :) I lived in East Anglia for awhile -- Bury St. Edmunds, King's Lynn, Gorleston, Luton, and Chelmsford, as well as London -- and absolutely loved the castles. Even when it was just castle ruins, I'd stop and get a picture every time I saw one.

Here is a pic of the castle but I couldn't get the bike in because the water was too deep.
Will try from the other side later.

bc_zpsaba2841e.jpg

Super cool!

beast775 said:
Nice builds,i really enjoyed the night- san Antonio ride,great filming outrider.that was cool cuz ive never been there,now I feel I know the city.

Thanks beast775, I'm glad you liked it! Though this past weekend was a bust due to rain, I plan to post a video of the first ride on the ebike downtown during a nice sunny Saturday morning ... or Sunday .... or sometime soon.

Had my first try of mine with the new Multistar 16Ah LiPo's on and it was great.
The difference in weight from the Dillenger/Headway pack is noticeable when manhandling it.
The top speed hot off the charger increased from 23.8Mph(Headway) to 27Mph(Multistar).
I am still waiting for my wattmeter to arrive before I find out the range but I can say that even up the steepest long hills the batteries gave no cause for concern and ran cold.
Nice warm ,sunny day as well!
P1020259_zpsfd29ba66.jpg

BARNARD CASTLE

P1020263_zps9364742a.jpg

RABY CASTLE (where my landlord lives!).

P1020271_zps654a2e15.jpg

P1020277_zps4f634e62.jpg

P1020255_zpsb09977ed.jpg

Awesome pics, Kinninviekid! And glad to hear the new batteries are performing so well. Your landlord lives in Raby castle? Is he a descendant of John Neville? This google review of Raby made me chuckle: "Take a flask and picnic though because the tea room is very over priced!" :)

He is Henry John Neville Vane, 11th Baron Barnard. so,yes its still the same family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Vane,_11th_Baron_Barnard

Wow, that is most interesting. Thanks

Nice build KINNINVIEKID! The photos are nice as well. You live in a beautiful place! Are you happy with your battery pack?

Now that I think I'm done (at least for now LOL) tweaking settings, I thought I'd post what mine are currently set at.

easyryder said:
Nice build KINNINVIEKID! The photos are nice as well. You live in a beautiful place! Are you happy with your battery pack?

Used the batteries 3 times now and more than happy with them.
Dont have my wattmeter yet but going off the battery meter they have less sag than my Headway 10Ah pack.

Once I get my triangle bag and second charger I will be all sorted.
Went over to one of my local forest trails today for a ride out and used well under half the capacity.
http://www.strava.com/activities/202248903/overview

hamsterley_zps1565acef.jpg

darth_elevator said:
I'm using the same 12s 10Ah pack that hie2kolob put on his second build. Great value! $162 shipped. The pack is housed in triangle bag from Amazon that teslanv recommended on his excellent build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56512

Here's a link to the batteries. I am using 6 of them. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18631

I can figure out how to wire series and parallel 2, 4 and 8 packs. But how do you wire 6 packs? What voltage and ah do you get and range? Thanks!

Kavan

(I can figure out how to wire series and parallel 2, 4 and 8 packs. But how do you wire 6 packs? What voltage and ah do you get and range? Thanks!)
Kavan

The six LIPO packs in question are 4 cell packs.

You simply take 3 packs and connect them in series which makes 12 cells that produce approx. 48 volts at 5Ah. You connect the other three packs the same way. Finally you connect the 2 sets of 3 packs in parallel and that produces 48 volts at 10Ah.

What he said. :)

image.jpg

WARNING: IF YOU WIRE THEM UP THIS WAY, BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL NOT TO PLUG BOTH LEADS OF ONE PACK INTO BOTH LEADS OF ANOTHER PACK. Result is not pretty (search Kentucky fried fingers.)

image.jpg

k90211lee said:
What voltage and ah do you get and range?
The longest test ride I've been on was 20 miles with 6 batteries (10Ah). That was on mostly flat terrain with a few small climbs. I was running PAS 5 on stock settings, with generous and frequent throttle throughout the ride. I had about a tenth of a volt left in each lipo.

Supposedly the formula I saw a couple weeks ago here on ES goes something like this: 10Ah x 48 volts = 480 watt hours. You can estimate 15 watt hours per mile with moderate to low assist (plenty of pedaling by you) and about 30 watt hours per mile with electric power only. I'm sure there are a million variables such as rider weight, drag on the bike, wider tires versus thinner tires, type of bike, etc. But using 15wh and 30wh, you get a theoretical 32 or 16 miles for a 10Ah pack. Someday maybe I'll get a wattmeter to get some more concrete numbers of actual watt hours per mile. But for my riding style and PAS/throttle use, I'm using 20 miles per 10Ah as a good estimate -- if I ever wanted to go farther than that, I'd turn PAS down and pedal harder. I'll bet hie2kolob is using a lot less watt hours per mile than I do because he uses a lot lower PAS than I do.

With the 750 watt BBS02 I use 16 wh and thats on hilly ground with a MTB on knobbly tyres and I weigh 218lbs.
I am very unfit ,pedal as much as I can but thats not a lot!
Keeping below 20Mph is the secret to good economy as over that you get a lot of wind resistance.

KINNINVIEKID said:
...Keeping below 20Mph is the secret to good economy as over that you get a lot of wind resistance...
That's good to know. Thanks!

KINNINVIEKID said:
Had my first try of mine with the new Multistar 16Ah LiPo's on and it was great.
The difference in weight from the Dillenger/Headway pack is noticeable when manhandling it.
The top speed hot off the charger increased from 23.8Mph(Headway) to 27Mph(Multistar).

How many packs did get, 2 or 4? Noob questions here, Do you cut off TX90 connector? Can you take picture of how you wire? I'm getting the same Lipo battery. What charger did you use and how fast does it charge? Thanks!

Kav

I am using 2 packs in series to get 16Ah at 44 volts.
I bought an XT90 serial cable to join them and some spare XT 90 connectors to join the pack to the motor.
Its best not to go chopping bits off the batteries in case you need to make a warranty claim at some point.
I am currently charging one battery at a time with a Turnigy Accucell 6 but only with a 5 amp 12 volt power supply so it only charges at 2 amps.
I have another similar charger coming so that will half the charging time and I have also ordered an 18 volt,19 amp power supply so that should allow me to charge at 6 amps which will speed things up considerably.

If you use this link to buy your batteries you will get a discount off the price of them.
The discount is $8.68 off each battery.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=84AA8F74-B05E-4053-8515-3BAAF33CFA89

I saw those Multistar batteries on the daily vid on the HK website. I immediately thought of using those on a bike/eskateboard. Are they really that much smaller, lighter than normal Lipos? There were some mixed reviews from the multicopter users. The Bafang doesn't need a very high C rating, but size and weight are important for me. I think the 5200 mah or the 10000mah are plenty for me. The 16ah would get me over two hours of ride time. Two of the 10000mah Multistars still add up to around $200. The 5200mah are comparable in price to a 6s Zippy. They are about 100g less in weight and a bit smaller and have that extra 200mah. Some review mentioned they got 5800mah when charging. I guess you still can't beat the 4s hardcase for price.

Darth-
Would you mind if I borrowed your cable? I could bring my bike up if you had some free time. I want to get the instant throttle, hate the delay on these, and maybe full throttle on all settings. Don't know if there is anything else I'd want to change.

Dirk, not a problem. I'll send you a pm.

Yesterday Hie2kolob and I rode a 33-mile loop with our Bafangs. This included a 5000-foot climb from the valley floor to a different peak than I climbed last week. Here's a 1-minute highlight (and lowlight) reel. :)

[youtube]ky90g73O2EE[/youtube]

This is the same route Hie2kolob blew a controller on. So this time he kept a close eye on his temperature gauge and we stopped a few times to let the Bafangs cool down. Again I'm impressed that the Bafang continues to take everything I can throw at it.

Back