Building manned drone electronics help please

Shoprat

10 µW
I’m interested in building a manned drone and believe there are more than capable persons to help with motor, propeller and electronics package. I am a machinist that has everything I need to build the frame and any connecting pieces. I’d be willing to exchange that for a parts list and assembly drawing for a complete electric motor propeller combination. Or pay out right for services. 300 pounds empty weight 300 pounds payload .

I moved your thread from Forum Rules and Features (wierd place to post a problem thread) into Electric Aircraft (the correct place to put it).

How fast does it need to go?

At what altitude?

Under what conditions?

For how long?

What type of aircraft will it be? Prop? Jet? fixed-wing? Variable? 'Copter?

How many engines?

Is the 300lbs empty weight just the "airframe"? (if this includes the entire vehicle, you'll need to specify how much weight you have left after the airframe / etc is accounted for, so whoever helps figure out the rest can tell if it's even possible to do)

Any other specific required features or performance requirements?

(BTW, it's not a drone if it's manned. ;) )

Sorry for placing my request in wrong place. Thank you for moving it . Probably the best way to describe what I would like to do is something between a Ryse Recon and Jetson One. Similar performance to Recon.

Well, you'll still need to define it to be able to come up with a system to lift and fly it.

Until you know (and tell us) what exactly you want it to do, we could only tell you that for a vehicle "somewhere between a Ryse Recon and Jetson One" with "Similar performance to Recon" you'd need a lift and flight system somewhere between a Ryse Recon and Jetson One that is similar capabilities to whatever the Recon has. ;)

It takes a certain amount of power to a specific job...to fly a certain speed at a certain altitude, or to lift a certain weight at a minimum rate, and so it also takes a certain amount of motor vs prop, and battery, controller, etc to do a certain job. Wihtout knowing exactly what that job is, you can't know what prop, what motor to drive it, what controller to run the motor, and what battery to power it, or how much battery you need to run it all for the time / distance you need.

( most especially, you never want to run out of battery unless you are *certain* that the system will autorotate safely all the way to the ground under the specific weather/wind/ground/etc conditions it will be used under. )

Proposed specifications ,
Speed—70 MPH , altitude—10,000 ft. MSL , 1000 ft AGL , flight conditions , no precipitation up to 25 mph wind, temperature range 10 below 0 to 100° above Fahrenheit. flight duration 40 minutes. Motors 6–8 Props , empty weight 400 lbs. Useful load 300 pounds. Hope this helps !

Just paused to look, and yup, you are in the US... I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news is there are a couple companies in the silicon valley area building similar units and they, last I looked, had some pretty open forums for discussion.

The bad news, each and every one of them got shut down on their dream of flying cars by the simple fact that the FAA controls these airways and amateurs' need not apply.

My license is expired (can't fly the bird if you have a terminal illness, so fussy) and I never got around to getting certified on helo, but I do know that when we were kicking around building a Hiller Flying Platform I was the only guy in the room with wings, I looked into it and was told that absolutely if the FAA at some point designates a flight model and certification structure I could skip ground school blah blah blah, or in other words "The FAA does not have any category for that flying device, being that it has no category, if we catch ya in one, your wings are toast"

Now as for auto Rotate.. I understand the basics of doing this particular maneuver... i don't think there is a way to do such a thing with a multi-point electric motor, I also don't see the design including a spec for variable grab. If them lil props are not controlled by a collective, and again, I never got the cert, but my understanding is no collective, no auto rotate.

With that said, I am all for it, keep in mind, taking advice from terminal patients on things that can end in catastrophic end of life is counter indicated by the sane people

Thank you for your input. I’m sorry to hear of your terminal condition. I will pray for you if that’s ok?
Just paused to look, and yup, you are in the US... I have good news and bad news for you.

The good news is there are a couple companies in the silicon valley area building similar units and they, last I looked, had some pretty open forums for discussion.

The bad news, each and every one of them got shut down on their dream of flying cars by the simple fact that the FAA controls these airways and amateurs' need not apply.

My license is expired (can't fly the bird if you have a terminal illness, so fussy) and I never got around to getting certified on helo, but I do know that when we were kicking around building a Hiller Flying Platform I was the only guy in the room with wings, I looked into it and was told that absolutely if the FAA at some point designates a flight model and certification structure I could skip ground school blah blah blah, or in other words "The FAA does not have any category for that flying device, being that it has no category, if we catch ya in one, your wings are toast"

Now as for auto Rotate.. I understand the basics of doing this particular maneuver... i don't think there is a way to do such a thing with a multi-point electric motor, I also don't see the design including a spec for variable grab. If them lil props are not controlled by a collective, and again, I never got the cert, but my understanding is no collective, no auto rotate.

With that said, I am all for it, keep in mind, taking advice from terminal patients on things that can end in catastrophic end of life is counter indicated by the sane people
Thank you for your response. I’m sorry to hear of your terminal condition. Can I pray for you? I am a helicopter and airplane pilot and always enjoyed auto rotations especially the last one second before hitting the ground. Lol. I am also a missionary involved with a international organization. In Africa, in particular, this could have great use. Especially when the fuel would come from solar. I would be interested in talking with you if you would like.

Before comitting to some complex, expensive and powerful machine design, why not start by a much simpler and relatively cheap approach first?

I'm thinking about something like this :

Sure it's not nearly as fancy, but it will let you gain some precious experience for cheap and it can be build rather quickly.
Sorry I can't help for your specific question regarding actual electronic hardware for such a project, but hopefully my suggestion isn't too ridiculous/off topic.

Good luck with your build, if you make it someday please share, I'd really like to follow.

Back