Bzhwindtalker's Blue FR (GNG mid drive)

Thanks for the links on the footpegs, the black ones are a bit expensive but looks super grippy ;)
I had a very nice DH session with a friend, I took a lot of pictures and practiced videography, so I don't have a lot of footage of the blue FR in action. There was a lot of DH riders and freeriders out there and I had a lot of comments on the bike. I think freeriders are starting to see this as a new sport and they acept it better and better. Of course the lycra crowd will likely never get it but that's something I really dont mind :twisted:
Some pics / frame grabs :
DH racer mate putting it sideways :
601961_10151501766769617_493266454_n.jpg

Going the right way with the Blue FR :
522761_10151501766664617_1571345594_n.jpg

Couch jump :
482332_10151501802714617_228974666_n.jpg

Enjoying a rest after 3 hours of riding :
484894_10151501765424617_1363018755_n.jpg

I will edit some video this week but I don't have much cool footage exepted regular DH

EvoBikeShop said:
bzhwindtalker said:
I need to shoot a new video for you guys, I made huge progress on riding skill since I had the rear wheel setup as a single speed and doubled up the battery. I learned how to turn back on an incline in a wheelie, plus I found some new jumps around the campus. I now have a full face DH helmet, I feel more confident when doing high speed jumps. I still have an issue with the chain tensioner jumping and the throttle response. I need to find a solution for the footpegs too, they are quite slippery when it's wet...
This setup is amazing really, I hope I can do better on the dedicated frame.

Adam

An easy solution for the pegs may be skateboard grip tape. Looking forward to the next vid.

EBS

Checkout ebay for, pit bike footpegs VERY grippy....

KiM

EDiT: here ya goez

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=pit+bike+footpegs&_sacat=0

lots cheaper than motorcycle pegs and very similar...

Actually I still had some nice footage, I edited them up as a teaser for the upcoming LMX frame, I received my tubing so I should start it soon now :)

Video !
[youtube]zxQvQ3X5lL8[/youtube]

Brilliant that bikes ok :D but I would love to see the trike with plastic no grip tyres on :lol: loving the bike skills really,can't help but want to have a go on that drift trike tho :mrgreen:

Hey! we created a facebook media page for the drift trike project where we will post pictures and videos of the trike, we may build some more too... here you go : http://www.facebook.com/BurningRubberEngineering

Here's the latest video of the blue FR, the climb at 1.30 was 3 stories high with about 45° angle :)
[youtube]dLpr9aSfHvE[/youtube]

Adam

Hey how is that motor handling the 4k watts you are running? Does it get hot? I have heard its a nice cheap motor and seems like a good choice for an economy fast commuter. Think it would do OK geared for say 40mph? Obviously not for climbing huge hills. I'm thinking fast/light hardtail, Urban assault DJ type bike...

Well the motor survives 45 min rides at 3,5kw peak, it's definitely hot. I think 1,5/2k continuous is the thermal limit for this motor, at least on 14S. 40mph may be possible but only on 75+volts and as a brust, I doubt continuous would be possible.
The peak torque this motor produces is just insane for its sise, weigth and price.

full-throttle said:
You are being very cruel to all the hub-motor fans :mrgreen:

Yeah good luck doing this kind of riding with a hub ;) Props to hyena and GC for riding like they do with boat anchors tied to their rear wheels !

Great vid yet again, makes me jealous not to have my mid drive project working yet. Keep it up man

I have a question to ask you, If someone like me doesn't have any tools equipment remove the brushless motor axle sprocket belt convert to a better sprocket using chain. Do there have any kind kit that make a very simple and easy conversion?

I noticed lot GNG owners break the belt in a less 50 miles something and any recommend? I would love get a set of recumpence's astro motorized mid drive but his price is too high and excellent reliable last long.

Just wanted highly reliable last long and low maintenance.

The only tool I used to make the convertion was a hand file, then I used the motor as a lathe. I still needed to tack weld the sproket in place but you could probably make it work with set screws too. Someone could probably come up with a kit using th existing motor pulley as splines for a chain sproket but I don't know if someone did that already. The belt breakage depends on a lot of factors, like your weigth, the kind of riding you do, the initial run-out of your sprokets...

Here's a new video I filmed this weekend in the mountain. I was expecting sunny and warmish weather, seems like I was completely wrong :roll:
[youtube]VdKNESDhYDw[/youtube]

Dude windtalker, your videos are always such works of art... I have to make a few video's for school, one design manifesto and one about my exchange experience (in Ireland now) and I think I will refer back to yours to see how they can be done nicely, you just cut them to be so smooth and interesting, really liking the vids, keep it up!

As for the weather, I know what you mean, I was in Belfast last weekend, expecting typical Irish weather, and the snow hit there too, was all slushy and terrible...

For the belt sprocket as splines, great idea and it wouldn't be hard, but wouldn't it be easier to just swap the pulley out completely? Then you could use an off the shelf part rather than a custom made one. That being said, give the tooth counts and it would be very simple to make a laser cutting or routing profile, not sure how much contact area would need to be on the pulley itself.

Here's my stuff :
544599_10151540886064617_570019197_n.jpg

I use a 550d/T2i, hacked with magic lantern. I'm just starting to understand shooting with it, even if I had it for 6 months. It is also equiped with a removable LCD viewfinder, great for reviewing you shots or setting up exposure in direct sunlight.

I have the folowing lenses :

Kit lens, 18-55 IS II. Image quality isn't great, but it's stabilised and gives me a relatively wide angle. I try not to use it too much on the upper lengths.

50mm F1.8 cheap wide aperture canon lens. Should have brougth an older fully manual F1.4 for the same price, this one is cheaply made and the focus ring is ridiculous to use in video. Great for low ligtht, but the 5 blade bokeh does not look super nice. and it's not stabilised, so shooting handheld is dificult. I have a variable ND filter to use with this lens for shalow DOF shots in sunlight.

55-250 IS II, Brougth it new for 150€ on ebay and I'm very happy with this lens, it gives really good results and the stabilisation works great!

I plan on getting a zenitar 16mm fish eye soon to have a good and fast lens on the wide end.

I also use a RD 32 II camera for POV shots. I'ts not Gopro 3 quality but comes close in perfect conditions. I would not recommend it over the gopro 3 white edition however.

I have two tripods, and a home made slider made from a drawing board rail and a tripod head. I also have a DIY stabiliser, great for having a smooth movement when runing with the camera.

And I lack computing power :| I'm editing on my 2 x 1,6ghz laptop, rendring takes a while and playback sucks.

Very impressive ! How is it that your rear freewheel and chain for that matter holds up to these power levels (and torque). Is your hub anything special?

The cassette freewheel seems to hold torque fine, the bike is quite reliable as it stands! it's not pretty but rides HARD and is still light enougth to buny hob nicely. I have some pretty insane POV footage uploading rigth now, I'm sure you guys will like it!

Thanks for a brisk tour of your campus. Interesting architecture :mrgreen: What's the construction for, new building?
Some of the shots were nothing but blue sky.. A bit disappointing.. :mrgreen:

They are building a new road just for our drift trike haha ;)
I have a new clean video rendering ATM, with slow motion, powerslides and jumps
Here's a teaser for you guys ;)
644475_10151561244519617_634631878_n.jpg

Back