CA Current limiting?

saiyan

100 W
LIVERPOOL, SYD, AUS. GDDDAY MATEEEEE.....
got a stand alone Cycle analyst and wanted to test the amp draw limiting.
no matter what i dialed it down too....... 30amp, 20amp, 10amp.....its still pulling max amperage.
can any1 confirm if it does work? just doesnt seem to work with mine........

cheerios

Mine works great on both cycle analysts. After the initial throttle hit, the current settles right down to the programmed value.

saiyan said:
got a stand alone Cycle analyst and wanted to test the amp draw limiting.
no matter what i dialed it down too....... 30amp, 20amp, 10amp.....its still pulling max amperage.
can any1 confirm if it does work? just doesnt seem to work with mine........

cheerios
I had an issue similar to yours. Mine turned out to be a swapped wires inside a controller. More info on my post http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40899

The other thing is that there may be no resistor in series with throttle, hence the CA cannot sink enough current to make a difference in the throttle input to the controller.

saiyan said:
thanks for the infos.....
speed limiting capabilities does not work aswell. it seems you have the DP version? where as i have the SA version.
so the only thing that is connected is the power wires. :/

Um - there is your problem right there. I take it you use a speed sensor on the front wheel?

You need to connect the CA to the throttle, thats how it can reduce the current or speed.

Have a look in the CA manual on how to do it.

Sorry for my noobness but i am having trouble finding the wire that goes from the ca to the throttle?
Ive got pos neg wires, speed sensor and another wire that i have no idea what its for.
It looks like a wire that you plug into a power source?
:/

You have to open up the CA, cut your throttle cable and connect it to the CA. The manual isn't very clear about that. Have a look at 9.3 page 19 for the connections.

so i opened the CA up and did what the instructional booklet showed. and guess what? the throttle doesnt work at all....lol
here are 2 picks from the booklet.

i wired up using the 2nd pick. (9.3)

am i suppose to use the 1st pick diagram? (9.2) :/

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,113
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,113
The second diagram is the diagram you want to use.

You solder the correct wires?
I would email the guys over at ebikes.ca to make sure everything is correct. Or if worse comes to worse, get a three position power switch.

Probably always the best idea to start by calling the tech help from the manufacturer/vendor - Grin Tech...

This thread has confused simple current limiting with 'current throttle' - two different ways to hook up the CA.

1. For basic current limiting you need the hookup described in Section 7.1 of the CA Manual. This is built into most controllers and a connector is provided as shown on the bottom of page 22. Assuming the controller does not have funky circuitry, you need only to connect the ThO pad from the CA PCB to pin 6 of the CA or 'DrainBrain' connector from the controller and make the appropriate Setup configuration for Max Amps.

2. The technique of attaching the throttle to the CA to get 'current throttle' or 'speed throttle' is a different animal. Here you are not relying on any special adaptation of the controller to support the CA, but you do need to exercise care that you get the throttle leads connected properly. You will need to make the same Max Amps setting as above, but also set Aux Voltage as described in section 8.17 as well as Aux Threshold as described in section 8.18. For a hall throttle Aux Threshold is probably about 1volt - for a resistive throttle (Magura) Aux Threshold should be 0v. It would have been best to ascertain the actual Aux Threshold by measuring the throttle voltage at which you began to draw some watts (and the wheel began to spin) before disconnecting the throttle from the controller.

If you have made these connections and settings and the throttle still does not work, then it would be useful to temporarily re-attach the throttle as it was originally so that you have confidence that it is undamaged and working properly. You can then call Grin Tech and they can proceed knowing that your components are in good shape.
To help clarify the wiring differences between the DP and SA models, pins 1,2,3,4 on the DP connector on the bottom of page 22 are supplied by the shunt dongle for CA_SA installations and the Sp connection (pin 5) is supplied instead by your wheel pickup. This left you only with the missing pin 6 so the CA could override the operator throttle as it normally does in the CA-DP model. As you might suspect, if you have a DD motor, you can eliminate the wheel pickup by unsoldering it from the CA PCB and instead connecting the Sp pin on the PCB to pin 5 of the controller CA/Drainbrain connector and adjusting # Poles in Setup.

It's also a good plan with a CA-SA to jot down the pre-configured Rshunt value since it is specific to the particular dongle you received.

Decided to give up and wire bak to how it was....dont have enough understanding about it to figure it out.
Maybe later down the track i will try again, but for now, its ok without the limit functions. :)
Thanks for de help guys......

Cheerios

Back