Can you spot what's missing on my bike?

I'd love to see you guys race at Pikes Peak. Pity there isn't an e-moto division in the PPIHC. But the Cycling Hillclimb could attract some Opti anhililators. Would it be fair? Probably not but who cares. Different categories in any case. Only 3 months to go !!!

Hi Luke

Just to improve the symmetry (and safety if wanted :mrgreen: ) I would suggest a double front disc brake, so, if not motorbikes parts, a modded fork's right leg, a caliper for the right side and a specific front hub.....
......for the hub I could make easily a double flanged Ti one (wide as needed) for you, if you ask me^_^brake side module.JPG

Can't wait to see your new step to the essence of terror :shock:

Jules

panurge said:
Hi Luke

Just to improve the symmetry (and safety if wanted :mrgreen: ) I would suggest a double front disc brake, so, if not motorbikes parts, a modded fork's right leg, a caliper for the right side and a specific front hub.....
......for the hub I could make easily a double flanged Ti one (wide as needed) for you, if you ask me^_^

Can't wait to see your new step to the essence of terror :shock:

Jules

Wow! I would love a custom hub with flanges to mount a pair of motorcycle brake disks. I would choose steel over titanium for this application though, I don't think the 1/4lbs weight savings would justify the hassles of milling Ti for a bike that will be over 100lbs.

Could you do something that would mount a pair of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-SUZUKI-GSXR-750-600-100-STRAIGHT-OEM-BRAKE-DISC-ROTORS-/270953140175?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1610cfcf&vxp=mtr#ht_584wt_1253

Would it be possible to get this registered as a motorcycle for street use? In NY, i think it would need DOT approved wheels and VIN numbers for most parts.

2 motors is F'in crazy. I hope to one day be as insane as you.

liveforphysics said:
Wow! I would love a custom hub with flanges to mount a pair of motorcycle brake disks. I would choose steel over titanium for this application though, I don't think the 1/4lbs weight savings would justify the hassles of milling Ti for a bike that will be over 100lbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-SUZUKI-GSXR-750-600-100-STRAIGHT-OEM-BRAKE-DISC-ROTORS-/270953140175?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1610cfcf&vxp=mtr#ht_584wt_1253

Now you are talking!

It doesn't matter how much motor you have, you still need to get the power to the ground and then get everything stopped in a reasonable amount of time. Regen seemed a good idea until it helped overheat the motor.

When I owned all those damn trucks, I wasn't as concerned about them starting up in the AM as I was about getting them stopped in the PM. Brakes are always the #1 priority (imho).

BTW, congratulations on running a good race last Sat. I'm still bummed that I missed it. Hope to see you in Oct.

liveforphysics said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-SUZUKI-GS ... 584wt_1253

Eheh....I agree with you about steel, but no, sorry, we don't use steel....I say Ti because that's what we use for our hubs right now and I've a lot of milled modules....to make a double flanged hub in this case means only weld two left modules to a shell wide as needed....

I was thinking on a double front disk also for DH bikes from longtime.....The R stem mod should not be a big problem .....but the right calipers (hydraulic) simply don't exist for bikes......(let me know if I'm wrong guys).....

About the floating rotors....I say I could easily make a modded version of the actual Ti modular hubs :) ....for such kind of rotors you need adaptors (as you have on the left side if I well remember)....or a motorbike hub or a complete motorbike's front....than you could mount also these :wink: .....2011 rotors.JPG but the weight increases......and I know you're looking for exceptional power/weight ratio....
I was not saying Ti to save weight and have not a steel hub to compare but, are you sure It's only a 1/4 lb saved? :wink:IMG_1272.JPG.....

Jules

There is a right side hydraulic bicycle caliper available
I don't have a link for it, Hal i know has one, also has the
Forks and hub to suit double bicycle calipers...i like the ti hubs
Your making, if you don't mind me asking what would one cost
To sit 20mm size axle?

Re: Luke...your simply frocking crazy ma
te LOL...BEST of luck with the"upgrade" buddy ;)

KiM

That is a beautiful hub Jules, and I think the modular hub approach is brilliant!

That's an outstandingly light hub too!
I would love one of your hubs for my race bike. :)

There may be more than one dual caliper for bicycle brakes.

Gatorbrakes has one in the 8 pot set. I've heard they are costly.

I have also heard that others may be made for tadpole trikes which need paired hydraulic brakes for the front wheels, and they are on opposite sides of the wheel. I have not researched it yet. I have a dual brake fork and hub, so I need these dual calipers too, if anyone knows which brand(s) have them.

I originally setup to go dual bicycle disks in the front, but since I could fade a single bicycle disk into a glowing warped potato chip thing in 3 hard high speed braking runs, I decided having a pair of them would get me maybe 10 hard stops from high speeds if I was lucky, where the single motorcycle rotor I run now gives me lots of hard stops (though it does eventually boil the fluid in the caliper sometimes, it doesn't warp up like bicycle rotors).

My biggest attraction to going dual disk is not having my fork leg warp and flex to the side under braking, it just feels awkward to have the wheel jerk over to the side when you dive on the brakes, balanced braking forces should stop that.

Luke... For your aplications such as a 50hp ebike best choice is always going to be motorcycle parts.
I just posted the my dual 8pot gator because i like how it looks and it should be somehow usefull for regular commuters.

liveforphysics said:
My biggest attraction to going dual disk is not having my fork leg warp and flex to the side under braking, it just feels awkward to have the wheel jerk over to the side when you dive on the brakes, balanced braking forces should stop that.
Yes, thsi is something that I did not expect--for whatever reason, I "assumed" that braking forces on a single wheel would remain "centered", but they don't. :( On CrazyBike2, there is always a pull towards the side the disc is mounted on, though this is much less with a tighter headset than a slightly loose one. There is still a tiny bit of play in the steering tie rod and headset, so I think I might be able to eliminate almost all of the side-pull of the disc brake if I fix that.

Yet, at higher speeds it's worse, so it probably isn't going to go away completely, if you're still experiencing it on your bike, which I presume has a perfectly tight headset (and no steering play).

What tire is that? Is it 26" DOT approved?

Have you considered incorporating the forks and headtube from a light motorcycle or dirtbike into your build. IMHO putting dual disks on the current setup will put the same stresses on both fork legs, while this may eliminate pull under hard braking it could fatique to the point of failure

IMHO putting dual disks on the current setup will put the same stresses on both fork legs, while this may eliminate pull under hard braking it could fatique to the point of failure

so what your saying is: bicycle components are not strong enough for 80+ MPH performance???
(rhetorical)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luke don't care.....& its way more exciting to have the wheelbase adjustable by 2" with a light pull on the brake lever! :mrgreen:
there is nothing serious about putting this much power on these frames, its game of russian rulette' & a total grin generator.
Luke knows the math better than most around here on the forces he's generating on the components of his builds & when he pushes it too far (not "IF") He will be the 1st to take responcibility. I just hope I aint dicing it out with him when it gets exciting.... :twisted:

remeber kids.....don't try this at home!

liveforphysics said:
That is a beautiful hub Jules, and I think the modular hub approach is brilliant!

That's an outstandingly light hub too!
I would love one of your hubs for my race bike. :)

Thanks for your kind words....
Don't know how I missed those gatorbrake at eurobike http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/09/24...draulic-disc-brakes-with-carbon-fiber-rotors/ (to much charged by our stuff and focused on electrics on freetime :) ) and also I missed them from Hall and Accountant and Gensem threads/posts, but now I can remember that at Milan exhibition some years ago I heard about these gatorbrake calipers and hubs.....
If I could find a good source for them and a dual mount fork (but there I have an Idea to mod stock reversed forks) than I could do the hub work better...I'll try to ask Accountant for them....

I'll let you know how this will develop soon, Luke.

Jules

I know this is totally wrong, etc. etc. Probably won't work with your sevcon and all that...

But this can do 200hp. Put it on for fun, yeah?

http://www.400hertz.net/Products/ME-400-200-416.htm

The ME-400-416 is a 150 KW (200 HP) 400 HZ electric motor designed for heavy duty applications such as electric automobiles.
This unit requires a generator or invertors of 150 Kilowatts of capacity or more to run at full power.

SPECIFICATIONS
200 Horsepower
400 Volts
300 Amps:
12,000 RPM
85 Pounds

How much are the Remy and Yasa motors? Is that me-400 motor bldc? How much is it?

Byte said:
It looks like it's made in the 1990's though :mrgreen:
Who gives a fu:k what it looks like! Can it be drivin with a cost effictive controller and how much power can it really make?

Back