Choose your own adventure controller wires

MarketyMark

10 µW
Hi!

I recently upgraded an old ebike with a new controller and throttle. Naturally, there were no instructions or labels included. All the usual connections were easy enough to match up and everything works fine.

There is a connector and included splitter that I'm not able to identify. Maybe you all can help. The wires coming out of the controller are black/brown/yellow/red. These then go into a tiny external pcb and two connectors emerge. One is green/black and the other red/yellow/black. Seen at the top of the attached image.

Any hints would be appreciated.

61mOtq9h89L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not knowing what you've already eliminated, or what functions/devices the controller supports, the wires/etc in question could be throttle/PAS, headlight/taillight, battery meter, display/controls, PAS/torque sensor, etc.

A link to the sales page may help, as might a good clear well-lit picture of the controller label (sometimes we get lucky and these have info that lead to other pages with better info).

Posting which wires you've already determined do which things may help eliminate those functions from the possible things the wires in question could be.

You're right. I should have provided more context.

The display wire is already in use with the throttle/display combo. There's a black/white/red connector that I'm not using that I think is the PAS.

I suspect that the mystery wire is a light/brake combo, but I'm not understanding what each connector is for. The Black/Yellow gets a constant 36v and one of the other wires gets 5v when the brake is applied. I'm not sure how 5v is useful, but that's what it does.

Here's the listing on Amazon. And a shot of the label.

IMG_4834-2.png

Ah. There are some BP / XL threads around here that might cover that connector/cable; I haven't looked for them yet (will have to wait for tomorrow when I am more awake, was a long day today redoing the dog food stacks for the Schmoo's noms).

but a quickie google search for "brainpower motor controller" without a model number
finds this amazon listing as the first hit
which includes this diagram, if it's helpful (I haven't examined it for comparison with your version of controller):
1691393927550.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a pretty exhaustive google searching as well and couldn't find any other controllers with the same colour combination on a connector or with that rather unique splitter attached. I tried using the bike with and without the splitter attached and it makes no difference to the operation.

Ah ha! A deeper dive into some Chinese sites with a lot of help from Google translate and it's clear that these connectors are meant for headlight and brake lights. I'm still not sure how the 5v comes into play for brake lights, but I'm on the right track at least.

IMG_4837.PNG

Back