CODD Power

auraslip said:
One would hope they test the cells before they build the pack and then test the pack before they ship it out.

If they don't, they're gonna lose a huge chunk of change when you file a paypal dispute over a defective product and they have to pay to fix it and ship it back to you.

Actually the way these companies work is that they sell things so dirt cheap that it is not worth it to ship the pack back to China. And you typically only get your money returned if you ship it back.
I do not know of any Chinese company that will reimburse you for return shipping.. I would think the return shipping would also be in the multi hundred dollars considering how porky these things are - about double the weight of a ping pack it seems!!

This is not a slight against CODD power; for all i know they could be a reputable company. But someone's gotta be the guinea pig and accept that they may lose $ on the deal.

Anyhow i strongly doubt that these are both new, and not rejected a123 cells.

coolchinateacher said:
I've been using my pack from them for 6 months now... no issues at all. Started using it in December when temps were around 10f, now hitting 90f. Battery has been rock solid under hard daily use. The spare cells I had them include with my pack appeared to be real A123's. It's possible they are factory seconds as when I unwrapped one of the cells it has a black mark on it which I've read elsewhere means factory reject... don't know how true that is. They were new cells, not used. In testing the individual cells I was able to pull 12a from the individual cells which was the max my test gear could do.

I have been very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. I am surprised they have paypal now as that has not been an option in the past, looks like they've raised their prices a fair bit to cover the fees.

What pack did you get?
What sort of motor ? controller?
What max current draw and Ah do you get from your pack, and what was it advertised as?

I would for myself, but got myself involved in doing a build for a mate, can't take risk with his money

NeilP said:
What pack did you get?
What sort of motor ? controller?
What max current draw and Ah do you get from your pack, and what was it advertised as?

48v 20ah.

I'm running a custom wound 10x6 similar to a 9C... 800w nominal. Controller is a 12fet infineon... 30amp.

So far I haven't pulled higher than 30a continous... once my cables from Lyen get here that will get tested further. I've pulled 19.2ah without hitting lvc. I haven't had a pack voltage below 49.5 despite running the battery hard after sitting in sub-20 degree f temps all day.

Like I said before...the cells i received are new but it's possible they are reject a123's ... how can that be worse than the performance of a Ping? Especially at a fraction of the cost?

Some of you need to take a risk once in a while!

Like I said before...the cells i received are new but it's possible they are reject a123's ... how can that be worse than the performance of a Ping? Especially at a fraction of the cost?

Right? And it's not like the "other" options don't have a 10% failure rate as well (hobby king)

auraslip said:

Right? And it's not like the "other" options don't have a 10% failure rate as well (hobby king)

Sure, but hobby king won't build you an ebike pack out of a few hundred 1AH 'b grade' lipo cells and throw a BMS on it.
If they did, even at a good price, i would also say, stay the hell away from that.

At least with hobbyking lipo, you have large cells so if one or two fails it is less of an ordeal.. you can test the cells yourself before building a pack.. and it is certainly not difficult to get replacements.

Hi guys, I'm going to take a leap of faith and buy a 48v 20Ah battery from these guys, the only thing making me hesitant is this:

http://www.lifepo4.in/48v20ah-.html

^Price is $541 including shipping

http://www.coddpower.com/price/pack%20price.pdf

^Price $302 not including shipping

The only difference I can determine is that the top one has a 60A BMS and the second one a 40A one. I am fairly certain that it is the same company. Of course I will go for the lower price one first, but either way it's a killer of a deal. Anybody got any idea as to why there are two completely different prices for the same item?

Maybe different cell types; soft vs cylindrical.
Difference in charger?

You should ask them! Get the one with with a higher continuous discharge.

Pay with a a credit card through paypal; two layers of protection!

Be prepared to answer a lot of questions from us and share lots of photos!

:)

Cheeseboy said:
Hi guys, I'm going to take a leap of faith and buy a 48v 20Ah battery from these guys, the only thing making me hesitant is this:

http://www.lifepo4.in/48v20ah-.html

^Price is $541 including shipping

http://www.coddpower.com/price/pack%20price.pdf

^Price $302 not including shipping

The only difference I can determine is that the top one has a 60A BMS and the second one a 40A one. I am fairly certain that it is the same company. Of course I will go for the lower price one first, but either way it's a killer of a deal. Anybody got any idea as to why there are two completely different prices for the same item?

Interesting find, i thought lifepo4.in WAS coddpower.
lifepo4.in is the site that has the pictures copied from headway and the "A123" cells.

Notice that the pack weights are completely different.

These are two different sets of products.
The listed discharge current in the coddpower.com site is "+100%" but the price list shows that the max discharge is 2C.

The cells they sell are strange.
1 26650 cell that looks like it has A123's specs, but with the A123 logo photoshopped off.
The other 16650 cell looks like a 0.75C cell. Same pic of an A123 with the logo photoshopped off
They list the internal resistance as the same however, which is completely incorrect.

The 18650's also have all the same internal resistance values although their C rate varies widely :lol:
Well, it looks like they don't understand cell specifications and are using fake images too.

I have a feeling you will also get reject cells in these packs, however they are stated as weighing a hell of a lot less.

Let us know how it goes.

For anyone interested in TESTED and verified packs made from 15c lifepo4 cells please check the following e-mails:

Dear Friend:
If you need 15C cells for 48V10AH battery pack, we can supply 48V9.6AH battery pack, but the price is so expensive. FOB of 48V10AH pack include charger is USD 350. Because the price of 15C cell is nore expensive than 2C cell, and the capacity of 15C cell is lowwer than 2C. That menas that cell would be more expensive and we need more cells.

Best wishes
Sailor Shang
DLG POWER BATTERY (SHANGHAI) CO., LTD.
Add: No.3492 Jinqian Road, Fengxian District,Shanghai,China
Tel:0086-21-57474368
Handset: 0086 136 5161 2168
Fax:0086-21-57474370
E-mail:syebike@hotmail.com

Dear sir:
we also have 48V9AH LiFePO4 Li-on battery pack , and the cells is 2C.
the price cells and BMS is USD190.00
the price of aluminum case is USD12.00
the price of charger is USD 13.80

it is not 123 cells, 123 cell would be more expernsive. the cells is DLG. Do you konw K2 which is an American company? K2 use our cells.

http://store.peakbattery.com/lfp-26650-p-hi-.html
Here is the cells the pack is made from.
You can find discharge graphs on the r/c forums.
a1810721-217-SjslhillK2Test.jpg

So yes, it is totally possible to get quality lifepo4 packs for the price CODD is selling them for. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of companies selling "a123" cells that are just "knock offs" of the chemistry. A123 meaning here not "a123 the company" but lifepo4 cells that perform like a123.

Here is a link to my thread when I received the pack from CODD. It has pictures of the pack I received and the idividual cells.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23694

Ah, now we hijacked the CODD power thread, but good info nonetheless, auraslip.
Now.. do you know anyone who is actually using these packs? :)

coolchina: thanks for suppling info on these.

I have always wanted a good alternative to refer to, or a solid option to reduce the cost of entry into the ebike world ( other than friggin lipo!!! ).

neptronix said:
coolchina: thanks for suppling info on these.

I have always wanted a good alternative to refer to, or a solid option to reduce the cost of entry into the ebike world ( other than friggin lipo!!! ).

No problem. I think I'll be ordering another pack from them in the next few weeks... want to go to 72v 20ah...

Oh, the price list show a 2c rate because that's what they use as default for the BMS.

I'm not sure why there are two sites now... my contact there stated they were not interested in Ebay or Paypal because of the fees but that they would support someone else who wanted to do it. I considered for a time as it's pretty convenient from here in China and I think they make a good product. I just don't have the time. He had mentioned he had a friend that had a paypal account who might try to sell some batteries... maybe that is what we are seeing. The price differential is about what it would take to cover the paypal fees + shipping + a small bit of profit.

Okay so I got a Reply with prices for different continuous + Max discharge Batteries (well, BMS's really) today (from Coddpower.com)

Starting price is $302

1: Continuous current: 20A, peak current: 40A
1: Continuous current: 30A, peak current: 60A
3: Continuous current: 60A, peak current: 120A (Need to add 35 USD)
4: Continuous current: 100A, peak current: 200A (Need to add 46 USD)

They quoted me $160 Shipping.

508USD for a 48v 20Ah Battery capable of delivering 200A? YES PLEASE! :mrgreen:

Fingers crossed this all goes smoothly, haven't asked about payment yet.

auraslip said:
For anyone interested in TESTED and verified packs made from 15c lifepo4 cells please check the following e-mails:

Dear Friend:
If you need 15C cells for 48V10AH battery pack, we can supply 48V9.6AH battery pack, but the price is so expensive. FOB of 48V10AH pack include charger is USD 350. Because the price of 15C cell is nore expensive than 2C cell, and the capacity of 15C cell is lowwer than 2C. That menas that cell would be more expensive and we need more cells.

Best wishes
Sailor Shang
DLG POWER BATTERY (SHANGHAI) CO., LTD.
Add: No.3492 Jinqian Road, Fengxian District,Shanghai,China
Tel:0086-21-57474368
Handset: 0086 136 5161 2168
Fax:0086-21-57474370
E-mail:syebike@hotmail.com

Dear sir:
we also have 48V9AH LiFePO4 Li-on battery pack , and the cells is 2C.
the price cells and BMS is USD190.00
the price of aluminum case is USD12.00
the price of charger is USD 13.80

it is not 123 cells, 123 cell would be more expernsive. the cells is DLG. Do you konw K2 which is an American company? K2 use our cells.

http://store.peakbattery.com/lfp-26650-p-hi-.html
Here is the cells the pack is made from.
You can find discharge graphs on the r/c forums.
a1810721-217-SjslhillK2Test.jpg

So yes, it is totally possible to get quality lifepo4 packs for the price CODD is selling them for. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of companies selling "a123" cells that are just "knock offs" of the chemistry. A123 meaning here not "a123 the company" but lifepo4 cells that perform like a123.

The last quote clarifies that Coddpower gets their batteries from DLG, not A123.
On their Website DLG says that they supply batteries for K2 batteries in USA and for LG. So here is a link to the spec page of the DLG batteries. http://www.dlgbattery.cn/encp_3.asp If you notice there is a link to their "online mart" on Alibaba located on the upper right of the DLG page as follows, http://dlgbattery.en.alibaba.com/product/312265847-202809006/High_Rate_LiFe_PO4_Power_Tool_RC_Model_Battery_26650_2400mAh_15C.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct1

Gary

these guys are a huge company and know what theyre doing. i bought a 60v 20ah LifPo4 pack off them and it was way cheaper then ping. ping was going to give me a pack with 2 amp charger for $300 more then codd wanted to charge me. theyre competitive so what doesnt mean theyre a rip off. for much cheaper codd made me the 60v20ah pack, SIX amp charger, bms and carrying bag. not too bad it all came to under $700 including the hst/tax and duty fees. cool thing was they let me decide what i wanted to declare the value at to save money at customs so only had to pay $40 for tax and duty.

I tried to buy from them, they only gave me a reply with a more in depth price list. I then attempted to order a 48v 20Ah battery with an 80A BMS (tried multiple times), but never got a reply. I went LiPo instead.

Back