Converted cantilever brakes to V brakes.

MikeSSS

1 kW
It went sort of like a Woody Allen movie.

The bike had eBrake levers made for V brakes but had cantilever brakes. A lot of lever force was needed to get only moderate braking.

I expected to remove bolts and slide the cantis off the brake studs and slide on the new V brakes. On the Rockshox Indy C forks the bolts didn't come out of the studs, instead the studs came out of the forks. I jumped to the wrong conclusion, that these cantis were different than normal cantis. Took a while and looking at pics of Indys to realize the studs had to be gripped and the bolts removed from them. Did that, then installed the studs back into the Rockshox with LockTite. Then the V brakes went right on.

The new brakes are from Amazon and appear to be sold under a lot of different brand names, they came with blue color pads. Brake performance is very good, best rim brakes I've ever had. Light to moderate lever pressure and strong braking, they are silent too. I'll probably replace the pads with better, but so far so good.

The 23 year old pads on the cantilever brakes made loud metal on metal scraping noise. This unpleasant noise did let walkers and wanderers know a bike was coming though.

Back