CUTE geared hub motors from bmsbattery/ecitypower

Haste said:
so has anybody ran a high speed motor at 48v? Or go the 24v and went to 48v while keeping amps low? It should be as fast as bafang bpm correct? Im looking for a 30-32mph solution...
The fastest wound Cute would be the 24V/250W "328" Q100 which I believe has a no-load speed of 328 rpm @ 36V. This is the same as some fast wind 24V Bafangs and the mini GM. Russell has reached 29 mph on a fast road bike[700cc whl.s] w/ a 24V GM @ 12S. To reach 30 mph on a 26" MTB, you would probably have to have at least 14S.
Of course, it wouldn't be able to get out of it's own way on any kind of hill and it's questionable how long it would last.
You could try "oil-cooling" it, like some here are trying out on larger motors, but the best way to reach 30 mph with a mini is to run two of them @ 12S.

So I'd still be better off with a Bpm :)

The Cute 24v 250-350w 201 rpm motor at 48v will just about run at 30mph down a slight hill, but it won't give enough to sustain that speed up a slight incline. Instead it'll get hot. You need a sustained 750-1000w to maintain that speed, which clearly can't be done from that motor otherwise it would have 750w stamped on it. 30mph is even pushing it for a BPM if you could find the right one (code 8). My advice would be to set your sights lower to about 23 mph or start looking at big heavy direct drive motors and expensive batteries that can sustain 30amps for whatever range you need. If only life was so simple, but it's not!

d8veh or anyone else,

What is no load current @ whatever voltage you are using?

I tried mine last night and~3A @ 48V seem a bit high.. Just wanted to make sure I have not disturbed the Hall timing too much.

full-throttle said:
d8veh or anyone else,

I tried mine last night and~3A @ 48V seem a bit high.. Just wanted to make sure I have not disturbed the Hall timing too much.

That's what mine ran at no load (no wheel either, just the hub.) That was at 36v lifepo4 on the 328rpm version (29mph no load speed for a 700c wheel). The drag on these seems considerably higher than a mxus geared hub or a Mac.

They're light though!

Yeah, come to think of it, my hall wiring may not of been perfect, I really don't know. I haven't actually ridden that motor yet. It ran very quiet though.

full-throttle said:
d8veh or anyone else,

My no-load current is less than 1 amp with 12s lipos. It's also very free-running when riding; however, when I turn the bike upside-down, it doesn't free-wheel for very long with fairly light 20" wheels and thin tyres.

I just rode a folding bike with what looks like this same motor, on 24v "200watts". I'm not sure what the amp limit is set, but the little 16" wheel almost stalled on me going up a 4-5% grade (no pedal). I know this is partly due to running such a low power, but my 6 turn Mac on 500watt peak in a 26" wheel still had way more torque.

I guess you've got the 393 rpm version. Mine's the 201 rpm one and it'll easily pull me (100kg) up a 10% hill with minimal pedalling at 18 amps.

To me, 5mph is near stalled. The thing felt like a childs toy. its ebikes like this that create this idea that ebikes are not real transportation. I would guess it being 24v 10amp limited, topped out at 15mph at best. More like 13mph on a flat.

d8veh said:
full-throttle said:
d8veh or anyone else,

My no-load current is less than 1 amp with 12s lipos. It's also very free-running when riding; however, when I turn the bike upside-down, it doesn't free-wheel for very long with fairly light 20" wheels and thin tyres.
Problem solved.

Turned out one of the stands on the winding broke off. So 5 out of 6 were connected on one of the phases. Now the no load current draw is 0.6A. Much better.

Thanks d8veh!

Back