Cycle Analyst Speedometer not working (sub freezing temps)

GTR2EBIKE

10 W
Today was the first time it has been below 32 degrees F (26 to be more precise) and I took my bike out of the garage to begin my ride. I noticed right away that the cycle analyst speedometer has stopped working as I start climbing the first hill on my route it starts flickering between 0 and 7.x mph (actual speed is between 20-24mph) then it starts flickering from 7.x mph to 22.xmph. It stopped flickering and went back to 0 when I reached the top of the hill which was about 30 seconds. I continue my ride and on the next big hill (which is 6 miles away from the first) it starts flickering again between 0 and 7.x mph first then between 7 and 21.x mph as I reach the top of the hill then it stops once again around 30 seconds of climbing. I get to my destination 1 mile later get off the bike pick the front wheel off the ground and spin it, it starts reading speeds i spun it to about 6 mph. Put the front wheel down get back on the bike ride around and no speed reading. I tried adjusting the magnet and sensor after this and no luck with getting a speedo reading while riding but it still works when I spin the wheel in air. :?:

Any Ideas on what could be causing this? and how to fix it?

I'm glad this is the first "problem" (if you can call it that considering it doesn't it's abilities at all) that i've had with my bike it has been super reliable and never let me down.

i don't think its the temps as iv'e had mine to -19
check your set -up on the wheel :wink:

I wouldn't have thought -3'C was that bad... CA should be good till -10 ;)

When i run my CA at -20C the refresh rate is about once every three seconds. It still works find though, just hard to read quickly changing numbers until it warms up a little.

I'm not saying the temp is definitely the cause just an odd coincidence that it's the first time below freezing and also that it only flickers up hill and works when spinning the wheel in air.

maybe its the reed switch inside the sensor just take the magnet in your hand and the sensor and pass the magnet at 2mm from the sensor if you heard a clicking sound
its good news so the sensor read but maybe you just try also to do a full reset of the CA and the last thing you can do is send it back

The temperature has been around 0C here lately, and my CA screen is very slow. It makes it very difficult to navigate the setup menu to change anything.

I also think it's the reed switch which is a mechanical device that is most prone to temperature issues.

Check that out first.

Ambrose

ambroseliao said:
I also think it's the reed switch which is a mechanical device that is most prone to temperature issues.

Check that out first.

Ambrose

Aren't the sensors just Hall Effect?

I've noticed my screen seems a bit slower to indicate changing numbers when it is cold. However, it still functions adequately down to at least -5 deg C.

The wind might be shorting a bad wire. Another idea, take the bike inside to warm it up, and then go for a ride and see if it starts happening then. While inside tape the wires up as if to jacket them, and put a hand warmer under the CA before the ride. LCDdisplays do suffer in cold weather, but a small resistive load in front of and below the CA can combat the effects of severe cold. Mabye even a layer of insulation could slow the degradation down. My 2 cents.
Brian L.

Back