Developing something like cycle analyst but for controllers running VESC software

galp

100 W
Hi!

I've been developing my own motor controller based on VESC project for my 5 kW bike. It's falling together quite nicely. The thing is I'll have to make my own dashboard for it since it doesn't seem to exist.

I was thinking to build something like cycle analyst or 750C display. I'll use raspberry that will connect to VESC via USB or bluetooth (if the VESC model has it). A high-brightness LCD with touch will be connected to Raspberry. The user interface will show similar parameters as 750C display with a lot of other stuff you normally don't get to see such as drained/charged battery energy, phase currents, graphs, etc, etc. Everything to make advanced users exactly understand what's going with electrical system while driving.

As base for my gui/app I'll use open-source VESC tool that is currently used to program controllers running VESC software. This and this is how it looks. I'll have to learn QT first but how hard can it be. :mrgreen:

I was also thinking if I could hookup a dashcam. A little wide-angle camera that would always record and overlay controller data. Something like this or this. The first one is also open-source. I think i would be a nice feature to have in event of component failure (to watch the recorded video-log) or just to capture all bike crashes. :lol:

Is there anyone out there using VESC controller and would find this project interesting?

I'm also interested in a VESC compatible display. I am considering developing my own display, but my focus right now is on my custom VESC hardware, so I am not able to work on the display development yet.

Your idea is interesting. If you plan to interface with a dashcam I can understand why you want to use a raspberry pi. Perhaps you could overlay VESC data on the dashcam recording. However, for a simple display, a small microcontroller would be suitable to drive it. VESC supports CAN bus and UART, which could be used for communication between the ESC and the display.

I'm also wondering if VESC can be interfaced with existing displays from common manufacturers. I haven't looked into this yet, but if the protocol information is available, VESC firmware could be modified to communicate with these existing displays.

FWIW, the CA is compatible with everything--it does not communicate with the controller, so it has no incompatibilities with any of them.

All you have to do is either wire in the CA-compatible 6-pin plug to the controller's various internal points, or use the stand-alone (SA) model of CA that has it's own shunt, and then make adapters to plug it's wiring into your system wiring if you're not using JSTs wired the way the CA has them for throttle, etc. Or rewire either your stuff or the CA so all the connectors are compatible (or directly connect everything without connectors).

Then setup the CA via the Guide or the Grin YT videos or the forum threads, so that it does what you want it to do with your system (monitor, limit, etc).

If the CA display itself doesn't do what you want, or look the way you want, there's an Android project here on ES somewhere that uses BT to receive the data from the CA and display it on various Android devices.

As far as other displays go, you can search teh forums for threads with Protocol in the title and find some reverse-engineering projects for different ones. None of the manufacturers will provide any info about that sort of thing.

If the CA display itself doesn't do what you want, or look the way you want, there's an Android project here on ES somewhere that uses BT to receive the data from the CA and display it on various Android devices.

This gave an idea to simply use a phone. Plug a Bluetooth module to VESC and download an existing app that was developed by e-skateboarders. Maybe I'll make my own app just for cyclists. I'm really trying to get VESC established in e-bike community as it is in e-skateboard. It offers so much more than stupid 6 step chinese controllers.

Back