Dilemma: Camera choice?

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
Pardon the long ramble...this really was supposed to be a shorter post when I started it. :lol:

I just got my "recognition packet" from work for my 5-year anniversary there. It includes a brochure to pick something from, whcih has some really chintzy stuff and some fairly nice stuff, though if I had my 'druthers I'd get cash to pay utility bills or rent with instead. I suppose I could sell the item once I receive it, but I think I will just pick something I can actually use, and keep it.

That's how I got the bike that turned into DayGlo Avenger--from my CompUSA 10-year anniversary, which took a couple months to arrive, and then tried to kill me a month later when the weld on the handlebar stem just snapped while riding normally, and left me holding handlebars not connected to the bike anymore. :(

It looked like this before I electrimotorificated it, but after adding a headlight and cargo baskets:
file.php

and looks about like this nowadays (different, smaller motor in the wheel), and in these pics is loaded up with lots of groceries, having just gotten home from the store:
file.php

file.php

Now to figure out which of hte 78 items to choose. Pardon my thinking "out loud". :)

I can eliminate all the jewelry, pens, billfolds and watches, as well as dish sets, cutlery, clocks, and lamps. Don't need any of those. Exercise equipment is out, too, as well as the foot massagers. Fishing equpment is unneeded.

The deep fryer has some interest, but the coffee maker, waffle iron, and barbeque are out, as is the convection oven as I already have these things. The Brinkmann smoker/grill (up to 50lbs of food) has possible uses. No need for a barbecue tool set or sno-cone maker, or ice-pop-maker kit. Already have a slow-cooker and a gas bbq grill, so don't need those. Rice cooker could be useful but it's just as easy to steam it in the microwave or in a doubleboiler, or just plain boil it normally. HB 3-in-1 grill/griddle for the kitchen could be useful, but I have an old countertop grill already that I don't use much.

The Vivitar Terrain spotting scope and Bushnell binoculars are interesting, but I already have some old binoculars that are probably as good or better than these (just beat-up looking), and a little telescope.

Shop-vac, B&D battery powered drill/driver, leaf blower/vacuum could all be useful, if I didn't already have several vacuums and drills/drivers, and a leaf blower.

Mp3 player, surround sound speakers, backtrack gps, paper shredder, laptop bag, pda holders, cordless phones, electronic scales, led lanterns, luggage sets, desktop pc speakers, or ipod docks are not really useful, and I already have some of those things that other people were going to toss out. Solar security light is interesting but not sufficiently so.

Of slight interest are a pair of walkie talkies with various accessories, including NOAA weather channel reception, but I dont' really have anyone I'd use them with, other than training the dogs, perhaps. Curiosity makes me ponder the battery or hand crank operated weather/am/fm radio, but I can make my own generator for any of the existing such radios I have, should power somehow be out long enough to drain all of the many many many battery packs I have around here. :)

That doesnt' really leave much; there are two cameras that might see a fair bit of use, though: A Vivitar Vivicam iTwist 7.1MP still, with 2gb SD card, and a Vivitar 3.1MP HD movie digicam with 4GB SD card.

I don't know the model numbers for them, but searches turn up reviews with pictures that look like the one in the catalog for the 7028, like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6147799&CatId=3622
however reviews everywhere for this camera arent' so good. Focus seems to be a real problem for it, and that's something I already have problems with on my old Sony digicam, whcih would be the primary reason I would want a different one if I'm getting it for free anyway. So if it cant' focus properly, and has no manual focus mode, I probably would skip it. :(

I can't find anything that matches the image of the movie digicam; the ones that look most similar all have higher specs than the one on the catalog, so I don't know what other people thought of them. I sent an email to the catalog company to get the actual model numbers of the items, so I can look up details, reviews, etc., but I dunno how long it will take to get an answer or if they will ever actually do so.

Amberwolf your whole post is basically a "direct to text" translation of what goes on inside my brain as I flip through any "rewards" catalogue. It was uncanny and unsettling, like when you think you have had a conversation with someone before about something, and then they ask you if you just had dejavu :? .

Does the catalogue offer certain physical acts by weight and measure? If not, I am interested in the snow cone maker, maybe we could do a trade? (or part trade - I want some of what I have, I just don't think I need all of it). Actually scratch that offer, shipping will be a pain in the ass.

Sorry I can't offer constructive advice, but if I can offer some, I say get something you want that you would not otherwise buy for yourself. That is what presents should always be :wink:

If there is nothing you like in the list of choices, i would consider getting what ever has the best re sale value, getting the item, selling it on and putting the cash towards something you would really like

Sounds like a good plan. It's not that big a reward really, but if you can turn it into half as much cash that could be better.

Likely the drill is most resellable.

If it were me, and I lived in Phoenix, I would get the snow cone maker. It is a no-brainer. it is so damn hot in Phoenix, and there are no good bars.....

i don't understand the question and i won't respond to it
[youtube]7rTJtVyQhN0[/youtube]

The Brinkman may have possibilities to be a locked safe for battery storage,and a safe place to charge batteries.Cameras are novelties,but if it can be a good license plate reader,then it could be a necessity.

iamsofunny said:
[youtube]7rTJtVyQhN0*breakinglinksoitdoesntclutterpage*[/youtube]

This is a link I believe I will use in the future on ES. Not for this situation, for yeah, for others :).

I think these things are very subjective to what you have, and what's available in the catalog that we can't see. And, what sort of use you can think of it. For example, there are a lot of cheap digital cameras that I wouldn't go for because they're not good enough to warrant carrying around for photography, but which could be potentially useful as an affordable ebike black-box. Another example, a shop-vac could be very useful for me, if i had a place. Our shop-vac as the padres hasn't been working recently. Anyway, the list could go on.

But I hope you choose something that works well for you:)

iamsofunny said:
[youtube]7rTJtVyQhN0*breakinglinksoitdoesntclutterpage*[/youtube]

This is a link I believe I will use in the future on ES. Not for this situation, for yeah, for others :).

I think these things are very subjective to what you have, and what's available in the catalog that we can't see. And, what sort of use you can think of it. For example, there are a lot of cheap digital cameras that I wouldn't go for because they're not good enough to warrant carrying around for photography, but which could be potentially useful as an affordable ebike black-box. Another example, a shop-vac could be very useful for me, if i had a place. Our shop-vac as the padres hasn't been working recently. Anyway, the list could go on.

But I hope you choose something that works well for you:)

Well, neither of these cameras would do well for any decent photography work; mostly I was hoping for something better for ebike videos (and HD recording that my Sony can't do), as well as something better in the focus department--the Sony has such random problems with that even in direct sunlight that I get pretty frustrated with it. Have to take at least a handful of the same picture to get one good one much fo the time, and there are times I'll take 20 or 30 shots and none will be in focus, each one with a different focal problem, even though it's all still, well-lit, and camera on a tripod. :roll: Other issues, too, but those are the big ones.

What I actually need is a DSLR and a set of good macro lenses I can stick on it, but that's not gonna happen. :lol:

So really, I'm only expecting to be able to get HD bike ride video out of it, something I can actually identify cars, people, plates, etc. with if I should ever need that (not very likely), but mostly just to be able to do it if I do need it, or if I just want to make better ride videos than the ones I have now.

Also to make better videos/pics of the dogs' "special moments"; one really frustrating problemw ith the Sony is that it takes pictures in it's own sweet time, whenever it feels ready to do so after you've pressed the button, because it likes to dink around refocusing even though it's already been focused before I pressed the button down the rest of the way. If it doesnt' take the pic instantly, the shot is almost always gone, and it can take several seconds to get aroudn to actually snapping the pic! :(

I dunno that these would be better; that's one reason I want to get the exact model numbers from them to find out They did contact me and tell me one of them, the HD video recorder is supposedly "DVR538HD", but Vivitar has no such model on their site (DVR438SHD is the closest and it's not exactly the same description or shape of camera). They didn't yet tell me the still camera's model.

I have a Kodak Z990 which takes DSLR photos with the autofocus. It has continuous autofocus on the video (unlike DSLR) and it has 30x zoom, all for 150 bucks new. The quality is not as good as DSLR and doesn't have the ridiculous crispy focused videos of the Canon DSLR, and you can't turn the autofocus off for video which is kind of a bummer sometimes.
I have a Canon T2i aka 550d. The quality blows your mind. $600 on sale at Staples plus $120 for 2 year replacement warranty.
I just got a Fuji XP50 for underwater and shock proof action. Haven't used it yet really. $189 not bad. Extra batteries only cost a few dollars each.
I had a Kodak ZX5 and it froze up so I threw it in the trash, plus it had bad resolution.

I suppose I shoudl've clarified, a DSLR with fully-manual settings capability, ESPECIALLY including focus. I've got friends with DSLRs including one Canon, and some of them have no way to shut off the "brain" of the camera that decides if it can take a pic or not. On his canon, it won't take the pic unless there is "enough light", even if the point of the pic is to take a low-light pic with the shutter held open for long exposure for various reasons. It has the manual settings to allow doing all of this, except that the camera won't actually do anyhting without whatever it considers "enough light", making having the manual settings pointless. It also does the same thing for focus--if it can't find an object to focus on, something with sharp enough edges, it won't take the pic. So if you deliberately try to take an out-of-focus shot on a central object, it won't take the pic.

I've seen the same problems with most of the cheap consumer digicams that have manual settings, and a few very expensive DSLR "professional" cameras. It makes me mad that the designers didn't consider a photographer using manual settings may have good reasons for taking pics in "poor conditions", and to turn off the camera's snooty brain when using those manual settings to let them do what they want. It's not like it's a car on the freeway, where an inexperienced driver ignoring safety limits might cause a wreck. :lol:

Anyway....they provided the model of the still camera, 7029, and that isn't on Vivitar's site either, and I only found it in a couple of ebay auctions, which don't ahve the info I need (and I wouldnt' trust them anyway).

So...I replied back and we'll see what we find out.

I may well end up going the route of picking something one of my friends needs, and trading them for something they have that I need.

If having some control over the firmware is your kind of thing, check out if one of the cameras is compatible with http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

It's a good custom firmware stable on a semi wide range of cannon cameras.

:)

That's interesting....because I saw a DSLR Canon Rebel something or other with lens and body for $70 at Goodwill today. I don't have anything like that kind of money, but if it is still there Saturday morning, it will be half price, whcih while I still wont' have the money for it, really, if it is worth it I can delay groceries and stuff for a while and get the camera instead (as I have a lot of food for both me and dogs right now, and can skip sales and stuff for a couple of weeks).

Being a Rebel, it pwrobably won't work with CHDK, but it may have all the features I am looking for. I did not look at it in detail as I coudln't get it anyway. I think it was a 150 or something similar, but a google doesn't turn up a Rebel with that model, so I must be remembering it a little wrong.

The rebels are a nice camera, also sold as an E-300. They do F about when focussing if you don't use the flash in low light conditions. If you have a fast memory card (CF) you can take 8 shots a second from memory - great for action photography.

I can pretty much garantee that the battery has died, I know mine has. I paid $2K for mine with 2 lenses about 5 years ago (sigh).

That reminds me, I need to go and have a look for a battery - the cameras with lenses still go for $250-300 on ebay here.

You could also build an external battery that attaches to the screw mounts on the camera, and plugs in via the casing of the old battery (whcih you can gut for the shell). That's what I figure I would have to do for the one at Goodwill if I were to get it (which it is unlikely I would be able to--it's probably already long gone if they're worth anything like what I have seen web prices for used ones!).

Ever since a photographer friend of mine got his first digital Rebel, I wished I had something that versatile, but at the time I didnt' even *have* a camera, digital or otherwise, other than some stuff I'd collected as interesting memorabilia rather than functional cameras...so wehn i got my first digicam i was still very impressed with what I could do with it, as crappy as it was (given that it was someone else's "defective" discard)...now I've "grown" in knwoing what I *could* do with a camera if it would let me, so even the fairly advanced Sony digicam I've had for almost 6 years from CompUSA's closeout doesn't do some of the critical things I want. Picky picky, I guess. :lol: :oops:

Don't buy an old used EOS Rebel. They will be filled with dust in the lens reflex and probably dead batteries and broken parts. And bad resolution.
Just buy a newer, slightly used tough camera such as ZX3, XP50 or even a GoPro. The resolution will be just as good if not better than the rebel, just the focus won't be as perfect. And new batteries (that can be changed)

And with what money am I supposed to do that? :? Unless they're in the $20-40 range, I couldn't do it--even doing that I'd have to skip groceries a couple weeks, most of the time (especially in summer when water and electric bills are high and hours tend to be low).

Batteries are easy to fix up, like I said above, one can make their own.

Dust can be cleaned.

Resolution is nearly irrelevant; most of the time 800x600 is usually all I need for posting, 1280x1024 is nice for some shots, but focus is absolutely important, especially close-ups for part numbers, tracing stuff out, etc. (I guess I wasnt' clear enough in my discussions above about focus).

Anyway, it appears that the point is now moot--GMUseless is resolving my problem, proving once again that the latter part of his username is wrong. ;)

A well looked after slr won't have dust in the lens or body - my less than well looked after one is still very clean, and the CCD has a cleaning cycle - I've never had dust blobs. Priced batteries, non genuine are $22 - they are fine, just don't have the same life - buy 2 for that price.

I would definitely buy it, the price is right!

Resolution is 8 Meg and adjustable - does great macro and the 4/3 lens system is now common in sigma lenses etc

8 meg for a dslr is pretty good actually if you can get it cheap enough and provided it's working.
in Canada they'd still want 200 bucks LOL. Kijiji is a wild west version of craigslist and you find all sorts of ridiculous people on there.
I prefer PinkBike for my trading needs !

amberwolf said:
Now to figure out which of the 78 items to choose. Pardon my thinking "out loud". :)

As so many are bringing up, seems like it's not a good idea to get your hopes up when someone offers you "Free." I've been saving those coke bottle caps for the numbers for years, might have 500-1,000. (Of course I pick most up off the ground.) I started because of a commercial where a janitor saved them and got a bike, but I've never seen a bike available when I look at the site. http://www.mycokerewards.com/catalog/rewards?sorts=MP&pageNumber=1 (Mii bean bag celphone chair?) Can't imagine they'll ever have anything I want, why am I still saving them? When I was a high school mentor several years back a kid got himself a fairly nice leather jacket. (Not the kewlest, but great when you consider it was FREE.) Where's the stuff like that NOW?

Meanwhile, I've been running a recycling program this year, breaking off the Monster Energy and Rockstar tabs. (Rockstar doesn't give anything away, YET!)Started because a few people asked for them to send for a backpack, etc., but they have what they want. Up to 500 tabs left and they're useless to me.

WIld ideas of trading the stuff for something, but would anyone else really want it?

I guess I could use up the coke points entering the drawings. http://www.mycokerewards.com/sweepstakes/bass-pro-shops-ride-into-fall-on-your-new-atv/20337?WT.z_flt1=all&WT.z_flt2=sweepstakes&WT.z_flt3=all&WT.z_flt4=all+Points&WT.z_ppartner=Bass+Pro+Shops&WT.z_pclick=1&WT.z_promo=4_20337_7_23_c_u_na

Or do those numbers EXPIRE?

The goodwill camera was gone before Saturday; was not there when I got in the doors (3rd person in). Nothing else interesting there, either, or at least nothing I can actually use right nwo. Lots of interesting things that if I had money to spare I would probably have gotten just for their *possible* uses, but can't really do that these days.

Bunch of junky bikes for $5-10, some of them in decent shape, but I dont' need bikes right now. TVs for $1, old CRT type. Dozens of them. Some were pretty nice for the CRT types, but I don't use TVs anymore except for scrap parts when they don't work and people toss them out.

I am waffling back and forth on the shop vac or the HD video camera right now.

Back