• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

dsPIC30F4011 / Lebowski motor controller

erajomppa

1 mW
Okay, I have been searching for a DIY BLDC motor controller and this I think is the place to find the best anwers. I read a lot about Lebowski controller and I think it's something I want to give a try.

First of all, I want to make sure I get this right... because I might have understood this all wrong and need to do more researching before going further etc, BUT:
You basically need the dsPIC30F4011 as a brain and connect it to a Powerstage (like this: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55641).
I understood that the dsPIC30F4011 is basically something comercial you can use instead of making the lebowski controller? right? :?:

I read alot of good information about the Lebowski controller, but everything is kinda scattered here and there in a multi page thread. Can you folks just talk to me like Im six and tell me what parts I would need (not components like FET and resistors, but what controller, powerstage etc) I would need in order to make myself a DIY customizable motor controller. :oops: (After though, the dsPIC30F4011 does not have current sernsors... so I'm leaning towards me being misunderstood)

I got no problems making my own controller from scratch with Lebowski's build thread and all, but I think I might as well save myself the trouble and order a controller (it's only 32$ or so) and make just the powerstage. I got so many build projects and so little time (internship in a neighbouring city, 4hours of travelling each day :| ). I'd prefer to purchase most of the components.

PS. even if I chose to make my own Lebowski controller, I'd need to order the controller chip pre-programmed or could you buy the chip and program it yourself, or is it not open-source?

erajomppa said:
I understood that the dsPIC30F4011 is basically something comercial you can use instead of making the lebowski controller? right? :?:
If you write your own firmware for it, sure. ;) AFAIK there's nowhere to get the existing firmware separate from the chip itself from Lebowski, but you can verify that in his threads about it or contacting him directly.

Can you folks just talk to me like Im six and tell me what parts I would need (not components like FET and resistors, but what controller, powerstage etc) I would need in order to make myself a DIY customizable motor controller. :oops:

That is best found in the "build your very own lebowski controller" thread.

I'd need to order the controller chip pre-programmed
Yes.

Ah, so the only way is to get the pre-programmed chip from the dude himself. I thought that thw firmware was open-source. Okay, gotta ask him then. First Ill glance through the thread again (build your own....).

Thanks, getting my thoughts on the right track. The right heading at least.

erajomppa said:
Ah, so the only way is to get the pre-programmed chip from the dude himself. I thought that thw firmware was open-source. Okay, gotta ask him then. First Ill glance through the thread again (build your own....).

Thanks, getting my thoughts on the right track. The right heading at least.
You can learn to write the code your self but you will need a microchip programmer. I have a pickit3 but it is very hard to write all the code. I have written enough to make a motor turn. Seen here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30851&hilit=+bldc+controller But it will not run one under load as there is no current control etc. Paul here shared his code and you can look at that. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75863

But remember with putting your own code in or anyone else's its super risky.

Building a good controller is very hard 1/2 the work is the code and 1/2 the work is the hardware. I am using Lebowski's chips while I get the hardware all sorted out. You need to get it all nailed down!

I can sort you a board from a group buy I arranged which will work for the diy build thread. You should go reread the build your own lebowski controller thread and get your own 2.70 chip from "the dude" selling the boards for £10 before postage. Regards Andy

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I dont have the time to start making the code. I want the firmware, but if you cant "just download it from the net and load into your board" I will just buy the chip pre-programmed. I dont have the knowledge to program a functional BLDC motor controller, nor the time to learn :p

I am trying to come up with a solution about what battery to buy. After that I will get back to the controller. I am not really in a hurry, since I need a green light from my school before I can reposess couple of motors (that I need the controller for). The thing is though that there is no-one to give me the permission (nor to deny it) until the beginning of august. I wont start investing into this project until I know I can get the motors. The batteries though are priority now, my old ones are starting to get puffy...

Back