E-S Phasor Electric Bike Owners

Thanks Paul. Yes putting the battery in at Chris' on Saturday. Yes thanks for the tip on the padding.

When it's going it would be good to go for a ride. I know of one fighter owner her in Perth who's keen as well.

To sit on it reminds me of an old XR 250

Installed the front brake and threaded the cable thought the frame to the rear. I need an adaptor to fit the rear brake as it a post mount.

I purchased these brakes in Perth from a bike shop and this guys keen to help.

Tomorrow back to the bike shop to discuss option for the front sprocket bleed the rear brake as I had to disconnect to tread it though the frame and cut and tighten the front headset.

The current Chrystalyte 7 speed rear will not work as the 14 tooth small sprocket doesn't clear with room for the chain to change.

With the 52 tooth front sprocket the chain has 5mm clearance from the rear swing arm. Not enough clearance.

No photos today but will take a few tomorrow at the bike shop.

Planning on finding a 11 tooth front sprocket which will give plenty of room for the change and also a good top speed.

Rod, I have a 7-speed on my ebike but I can' use the smallest sprocket. So I leave it in the second smallest one and the big chainring and that's still pretty good. Wide open throttle is just a bit too fast for my cadence, but that's a good thing for battery preservation - backing off the last 2 mm on the throttle reduces the current draw by half! And my legs can catch up :)

My plan for 40 kms per hour commuting and with this motor that's throttle half open. The current set ups only good for 30. Dropping from 14 teeth to 11 not sure how much extra speed that will give me but I think it's worth it. The rear swing arm does have some flex and I have put in a 2mm washer. Its the height above the sprocket that's the issue so going smaller will give the clearance for the change.

Rodney64 said:
Rix said:
Rodney64 said:
I have just installed the bottom bracket, packed it with a lithium grease and put on a 170mm crank so I can determine my correct seat height.
I have cut my seat post so it doesn't protrude past the frame and adjusted the seat angle.
Sitting on the bike feels really good. Bought back memories riding trail bikes in my younger days.
I have taken a few pics and will up load shortly.

Hello Rodney 64,

I am new to this forum but have been following your build. Just curious, whats your inseam length? Look like a person would need to be tall for stand over clearance on the phasor frame running 26" wheels. Nice build. What the projected bike weight going to be?

Rix

Hi Rix

My inside legs about 750mm the bikes 830 but it's not an issue. When sitting on a full suspension bike they sink anyway. Similar to a trail bike.

I am sure Rix realises the bike suspension sinks under your weight. I think his question is directed towards how the bike sits when you are standing over the bike with your feet on the ground and your backside off the seat. I wonder the same thing hence my interest in the answer. The Phasor frame design is high across the top so with the suspension fully extended it looks like it could be difficult to stand over the bike especially if you aren't particularly tall.

Nice choice of colour by the way. Very similar to my Fighter :) I am also subscribed to the build and look forward to further progress. 8)

I decided to post a pick showing the clearance of the rear 14 tooth It the distance above that sops the change.

1F6EB034-1F9A-46EB-8F19-B0CA27D86847-3215-000007C94809F8A4.jpg

jonescg said:
Hey Rodney,

I am balancing your pack tonight; should be done by Saturday since we left the pack half drained from our little load test the other week :) I will cover the top in silicone too so it's ready to install on Saturday. We will have to get some spacers made up for the corners, and I will try to devise a means to hold the pack down to prevent it from moving too much in the vertical. Side to side and the bottom is good for some 6 mm foam pressed in, but the lengthwise movement and up-down needs some thought.

Chris

Chris, The main thing is to get it secured well. I still haven't purchased any cranks yet. It's my last purchase. If we fit it determine then what we need then have a play then that's ok.

Hi Rix
My inside legs about 750mm the bikes 830 but it's not an issue. When sitting on a full suspension bike they sink anyway. Similar to a trail bike.

I am sure Rix realises the bike suspension sinks under your weight. I think his question is directed towards how the bike sits when you are standing over the bike with your feet on the ground and your backside off the seat. I wonder the same thing hence my interest in the answer. The Phasor frame design is high across the top so with the suspension fully extended it looks like it could be difficult to stand over the bike especially if you aren't particularly tall.

Nice choice of colour by the way. Very similar to my Fighter :) I am also subscribed to the build and look forward to further progress. 8)[/quote]

Hi Rodney,

Kepler asked my question better than I did. (Thanks Kepler) I was wondering about the stand over height because the one thing I hate doing is straddling a bike and having my "Cajones" (pronounced K-Jones in English) smacking the top tube or in this case the top portion of the bikes frame. With your inseam of 750mm/about 30 inches, what kind of clearence do you have?

Rix said:
Hi Rix

Nice choice of colour by the way. Very similar to my Fighter :) I am also subscribed to the build and look forward to further progress. 8)

Hi Rodney,

Kepler asked my question better than I did. (Thanks Kepler) I was wondering about the stand over height because the one thing I hate doing is straddling a bike and having my "Cajones" (pronounced K-Jones in English) smacking the top tube or in this case the top portion of the bikes frame. With your inseam of 750mm/about 30 inches, what kind of clearence do you have?[/quote]

Hi Rix

The frames too high for me to straddle it without me being on tip toes.

How tall are you Rodney if you don't mind me asking ? IF I missed it somewhere then I apologize.

Keep up the great work.

ohzee said:
How tall are you Rodney if you don't mind me asking ? IF I missed it somewhere then I apologize.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks Ohzee.

Im 5.9.

With riding road bikes using clipless pedaIs normally I dont straddle the bike. For me this is not an issue the riding position is upright and im not streaching for the handle bars. Hopefully today I will get the bike into a position where its ridable and then I will post a couple of pics.

Went down to the local bike shop today and purchased another chain and I also purchased a bike stand from him.

He was very busy but I left with 2 different size discs and also 8 different size brake adapters. I managed to get one to fit but with some minor modifications. The 185mm disc with these shimano brakes didn't work. The hydraulic hose at the top of the brake was rubbing on the motor side cover. With the 203mm rotor and the higher adapter let the hose clear the cover.

6F9DFA3B-EC2C-41A2-A04E-6CB038BDBD87-3460-0000080913E2DAD6.jpg

4262F877-FACB-4FED-9D59-DBF2EDFC365A-3460-000008092E114A9B.jpg

552C64F5-BEBC-4D74-93E3-C1C84A0B50E6-3460-00000809385B0323.jpg

Rodney64 said:
ohzee said:

Keep up the great work.

Thanks Ohzee.

Im 5.9.

With riding road bikes using clip-less pedals normally I don't straddle the bike. For me this is not an issue the riding position is upright and im not stretching for the handle bars. Hopefully today I will get the bike into a position where its ride-able and then I will post a couple of pics.

A couple of photos of the stand over height. Still need to set up the front forks and also adjust the rear shock.

C49D2C15-D6B5-47F0-AC49-09B4E24699D7-3460-00000808C21C971B.jpg

6FAEB5CB-01FE-4EB6-8DC7-6090F47AC8F8-3460-00000808BD531D15.jpg

Rodney64 said:
The hydraulic hose at the top of the brake was rubbing on the motor side cover. With the 203mm rotor and the higher adapter let the hose clear the cover.
Looks like the brake pads will be just about clearing the disc too!!
You need to use the proper sized adaptor for the disc and add a spacer inside the dropout to push the swingarm further away from the edge of the caliper / hose. If there's not alot of adjustment in it you'll need to add washers under the rotor to space it out.

You badly need to replace that crank set too, or atleast paint it black. Likewise with the back rim.

Thanks Hyena but we tried using the correct size adaptor at the bike shop. I have clearance now and tomorrow I'll be checking the set up again. I have already modified this adaptor and tomorrow I will more than likely be making more .

Tomorrow ill lengthen the chain 150mm due to the longer rear swing arm and install the battery.

Rodney, the fix is simple. Looking at the lack of coverage with the caliper on the disk, you need get yourself a 220mm formula one disk or the Hays V9 Rotor which is 224mm. If anything it will fit with maybe a thin washer or two on each of the caliper bracket posts. I had to do this with my bomber on the front when I switched to the zochs. Also as an added benifit, your bike will stop with much less effort on the brake lever. Since the Phasor is a custom frame, I doubt you will find any standard bracket that will fit a 203mm disk as direct bolt on. Thanks for posting the pics with you on the bike. Gives a little better perspective. Looking forward to the final build. 8)

Rix

Rix said:
Rodney, the fix is simple. Looking at the lack of coverage with the caliper on the disk, you need get yourself a 220mm formula one disk or the Hays V9 Rotor which is 224mm. If anything it will fit with maybe a thin washer or two on each of the caliper bracket posts. I had to do this with my bomber on the front when I switched to the zochs. Also as an added benifit, your bike will stop with much less effort on the brake lever. Since the Phasor is a custom frame, I doubt you will find any standard bracket that will fit a 203mm disk as direct bolt on. Thanks for posting the pics with you on the bike. Gives a little better perspective. Looking forward to the final build. 8)

Rix

Thanks Rix for that advice. Currently working on the front forks set up and looking forward to having the battery fitted in the afternoon as well. As you mentioned above Rix no custom mount will bolt on with out some type of modification. I had the correct bracket and it as well out. I did try to purchase the hayes rider caliper as on the phasor prototype but wasnt available at the time when I purchased front chain reaction. The current bracket needs more modification and the rear calaper bolt hole drilled and taped deeper.

Hey Rodney,

Great fun catching up today - too bad we couldn't take it for a spin, but it's close!

Below is a basic wiring diagram for your e-bike. Yes, it requires a pre-charge relay and a main contactor, but the main contactor can be a solid-state FET job which isn't too big. The other auto relay I showed you wouldn't work because it's only rated to a 12 V load, not 100 V :lol:

Rodneyswiringdiagram.jpg

The auxiliary battery can be something as simple as 6 AA rechargeable batteries in series using one of those holsters you can get from Jaycar. Of course, if you were careful you can do away with this, but the bike is looking so good now, it would be a shame to add anything particularly ghetto to it.

Cheers,
Chris

Rodney64 said:
Thanks Chris, it's been a very good day. When we finally had the chance to have a ride it made it all worth it.

Hello Rodney, it was a good day indeed :) . That is one nice power pack. Props to the builder. Any chance you going to post a video? Thats a really clean looking ride. Keep the details coming.

Rix

litespeed said:

Wow, that is a lot of power in there!

Tom[/quote]

Yes Tom there is.

I am looking forward to seeing the range that is possible with this pack with peddling at 40kms per hour. This is my plan for my commute to work which is 46kms round trip.

For anyone who hasn't read the thread, The battery's made up of individual 40C Turnigy cells. They are the 5000 mAh ones, measuring 50 mm wide, 9 mm thick and 140 mm long? Total of 80 cells.

Back