E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Streamclip can't open it either.. Just a white background, no sound.

Tried powerdirector again - some segments were ok, some blank. Tried saving my work ant it crashed :evil:

Moral: don't buy chinese cameras

Thanks for the pm, yeah I've got the latest k-lite 7.15 and 64bit as well. It's not the SW cause I can edit all the other videos

EDIT: Don't really want to clutter up this thread with unrelated issues anymore..
Basically, there's something important in the first frame of H.264 .AVI
If the first frame is missing as a result of cut/trim the video comes out black with sound
The other program worked because it re-encoded the video, loosing resolution obviously
In short term I'll try to record continuous sequences and upload them raw
In long term I will invest in a better camera, a GoPro most likely (H.264 MPEG4)

Cheers Kepler, Hyena,

don't hesitate to get in touch when you're down ACT way. I've been reading back through this thread, can see that you guys have been doing some interesting mods to the bikes. I'll be content to do some proving runs around a local velodrome when time permits, get a stronger feel for the Fighter capabilities with/without pedalling to be able to discuss with people in a bit more depth. Am loving doing commute runs on it at present, had to watch my passing speed a little today along one of the main drags. Regarding the hookworms offroad, they've not yet had a decent session, but a short run on a bit of grass/gravel confirms for me that they're a good pavement tyre, though that's about where they ought to remain. Will depend a bit on the sort of track conditions people are looking to run them on. I'm yet to fit the duro's for an off-road session, will need to get my camera gear sorted beforehand.

Will be linking up with some top off-road riders in the next couple of months for some familarisation runs, see if I can find someone who can find (and hold) balance point a little better than I've been able to so far. Time to go, lots to do..

kifaru said:
Time I posted something in here. I have a Fighter. Extras on it are a rear derailleur to help preserve the battery on the hills and 5" drop Gravity Dropper seat-post, which I wouldn't be without. I use it as my main commuter to work and back. Always get home grinning!

View attachment 1

Did the factory put the derailleur on for you as I know John is not keen on them?

Can you explain what the 5" gravity dropper seat post does as I cannot fathom it?

Do you use the full spread of gears and how do you change gear? Is there a changer on the throttle side?

I assume you left the 2 speed schlumf in place, do you still change gear at the front pedals too or just leave it in top?

Justtoby said:
kifaru said:
Time I posted something in here. I have a Fighter. Extras on it are a rear derailleur to help preserve the battery on the hills and 5" drop Gravity Dropper seat-post, which I wouldn't be without. I use it as my main commuter to work and back. Always get home grinning!
Can you explain what the 5" gravity dropper seat post does as I cannot fathom it?
http://gravitydropper.com/

Jerome Daoust said:
Justtoby said:
kifaru said:
http://gravitydropper.com/

Many thanks....it makes sense now....I should have googled it but I didn't realise it was a product per se.

Justtoby said:
kifaru said:

Did the factory put the derailleur on for you as I know John is not keen on them?

Do you use the full spread of gears and how do you change gear? Is there a changer on the throttle side?

I assume you left the 2 speed schlumf in place, do you still change gear at the front pedals too or just leave it in top?

Most of my commute is on main roads with the seat up. I drop the seat on twisty trails, when I'm in loose stuff off the bitumen or weaving around in traffic. I had the derailleur hanger welded on to the frame. John doesn't think much of them at all!:) A cycle shop managed to get it lined up for me. The shifter is a twist shift upside down on the left handle bar running a 7 speed cassette at the moment. It lets me put in a lot more effort on the hills and works pretty well all things considered. The schulmf is in place and gives me top gear. Bottom gear is there for the nest time I have to get myself home without power...

Thanks for the reply.

I saw that John hates the derailleur but some of his opinion does not add up to me....he says thatnthe 2 speed front hub is all you need on the fighter......if this is 100% the case then I have to ask why the more powerful bomber goes to the expense of the 9 speed...the power to weight ratio must be the same ish?

I like the fighters size and it is a good margin cheaper but I think I would want much more of a work out...it would annoy me a bit to have to weld and repaint the swing arm on a new bike.

Thanks for the reply,

Was it a simple mig weld or is it a tig job due to metal used for the derailleur lugs?

The main reason why Stealth bikes dont use a derailleur is that its probably the easiest part of the bike to damage when off road. Its all about having a super reliable package when off road. If the main purpose of the bike was to be a road commuter, then a derailleur might well be an option. However, Although people choose to ride the bike as a commuter, they do so at their own risk.

The bike is clearly marketed as an off road bike hence the bike being optimised for off road use.

In relation to the 2 speed, keep in mind there is a clear difference between "all you need" and "all you will ever need" No one is arguing here that the 2 speed is a compromise. Having been lucky enough to ride ride these bikes for quite some time now including plenty of test rides on Fighters, I can say, Yes the 2 speed is all you need but a greater selection gears does come in useful at times.

I really like the new Fighter. If I was doing it again it would be a really hard decision between the two.

Power to weight, the Bomber does have a clear advantage when you take the the rider's weight into account.

Fighter 3000W / 34kg + 80kg rider = 26W per kg
Bomber 4500W / 52kg + 80kg rider = 34W per kg

Thats close to a 25% difference. The gap has certainly narrowed though.

Hi, Kepler, thanks for the reply.

I get your point and yes 25% better power to weight ratio does look like quite a big difference, I imagine the range of gears on the bomber allows the rider to deploy pedal power more of the time too.

I would not use either as commuter but would do road and track, I have ridden bikes in mild off road for years and never damaged any part of the rear drive train so I am less worried about damage, I will not do remote trail riding where I cannot get to the car within a mile or so and I will not do extreme downhill.

My plan is to order one or the other soon and if I like the product I plan to offer demos, if the bike is well received in the uk then I will place a big order. The pound seems to be weakening against the dollar and that is not good for a price, landed in the uk to include vat and delivery.

So I see your dilemma. I too have never broken a derailleur but I am not a particularly agressive rider either. I'm tipping full-throttle would have brocken a few in his time :)

Would be great to have a demo bike in the UK. I am sure you would pick up further sales. When it comes to demo's, its hard to beat the Wow factor you get from a Bomber. However the lighter Fighter is still an impressive ride also.

I believe lead time on the Fighter is shorter then the Bomber also which may be a factor in your decision.

I've broken a derailleur and I'd still put one a fighter.

It's been done, one of the guys here has a fighter with a derailleur.

Justtoby said:
Hi, Kepler, thanks for the reply.

I get your point and yes 25% better power to weight ratio does look like quite a big difference, I imagine the range of gears on the bomber allows the rider to deploy pedal power more of the time too.

I would not use either as commuter but would do road and track, I have ridden bikes in mild off road for years and never damaged any part of the rear drive train so I am less worried about damage, I will not do remote trail riding where I cannot get to the car within a mile or so and I will not do extreme downhill.

My plan is to order one or the other soon and if I like the product I plan to offer demos, if the bike is well received in the uk then I will place a big order. The pound seems to be weakening against the dollar and that is not good for a price, landed in the uk to include vat and delivery.

I know more than a few in the UK are very interested in the Stealths. Wow factor is huge on both bikes - like me, try them & you'll want one or both.

Mark_A_W said:
I've broken a derailleur and I'd still put one a fighter.

It's been done, one of the guys here has a fighter with a derailleur.

Do you know if there are derailleurs that are extra strong for serious down hill applications?

Yeah, but they mount to the bike in completely different ways (usually on the axle).

That would be good if John could adapt that to work, but if you are stuck with a traditional hanger then those bomb proof ones won't fit.

I broke my derailleur when I tried (and failed..) to beat the railway gate :twisted:

Kepler said:
I'm tipping full-throttle would have brocken a few in his time :)
Good guess - a shoe box full. Weakest part of any bike. Converted all my bikes to singlespeed over the last 5 years. 7-8 speed are not too bad, road use is ok. Internal hubs are fine too, but def can feel the efficiency loss. The gearbox on the Bomber is awesome!

And its not just the derailleur - unreliable shifting, ghost shifting, extra chain wear, chain slap, etc.. Still got scars from chain derail while sprinting. Had to walk home once. Biggest problem is twigs - the worst one was on the 2nd day of the 8-day off-road bike tour. Along the Bicentennial trail somewhere between Big River camp and Knockwood. Ironically enough the actual track is called Hope. Not just super steep up and down, but also after a recent storm the track was blocked by all these large trees, so I had to crawl trough them with the panniers then come back and repeat with the bike. 2km of track took me 4hrs. Fairy sun I run out of water, 40deg day, by myself, middle of nowhere. Eventually the track cleared. I was 'zooming' along this rocky descend and caught a twig in the derailleur, resulting in the rear hanger to twist around. Not good! I would have hated to go back so soon. Luckily I straightened it with a couple of rocks and completed the ride, avoiding low gears.

3 question to owners...

1) Weight for transport...
Please correct this data with measurements on a scale for a standard Bomber (no weight increasing upgrades)...
53.0 kg (116.7 lb) bike with everything
17.5 kg ( 38.6 lb) for 1.5 kWh battery ?
0.7 kg ( 1.5 lb) for seat and post.
==> 34.8 kg (76.6 lb) transport weight (without battery and seat post)?
Related topic on Google groups

2) Length (for fitting in an elevator)...
What is the length of the Bomber? From the front of the front tire to the rear of rear tire.

3) How plush is the front suspension?
With the standard front suspension (RST R1 Fork), not the upgrade (White Brothers Groove 200 Fork), can it be made soft so you "float" over minor road bumps?

Thank you and good rides,
Jerome

Just walk the Bomber into the elevator on the back wheel, a blip of throttle lifts it vertical. Then it takes up about 700mm depth. You've seen the Bomber in the Whistler gondola, right?

Stealth Bikes Looks To Military Sales

http://dopedbike.com/2011/05/stealth-bikes-looks-to-military-sales/#more-176

Paul G

Thanks for all of the full replies.

I think I am going to order the bomber so I know that I have enough gears.

Waiting on John to confirm lead times.

I am leaning towards the high torque hub as 35mph is enough and I prefer the twist of the torque but interested to hear views, I imagine many will go for the glory of the top speed option.

If I am happy with the bike and people want to test ride and place orders then I can see a permanent demonstrator of the fighter and bomber on the cards.

Kepler said:
The main reason why Stealth bikes dont use a derailleur is that its probably the easiest part of the bike to damage when off road. Its all about having a super reliable package when off road. If the main purpose of the bike was to be a road commuter, then a derailleur might well be an option. However, Although people choose to ride the bike as a commuter, they do so at their own risk.

The bike is clearly marketed as an off road bike hence the bike being optimised for off road use.

In relation to the 2 speed, keep in mind there is a clear difference between "all you need" and "all you will ever need" No one is arguing here that the 2 speed is a compromise. Having been lucky enough to ride ride these bikes for quite some time now including plenty of test rides on Fighters, I can say, Yes the 2 speed is all you need but a greater selection gears does come in useful at times.

You are spot on Kepler. I chose the Fighter as it is a bit cheaper and lighter. I've had to pedal my Trek without power a few times due to riding it in weather that I shouldn't be out in and I expected the same with the Fighter (and got it the other night when I misjudged it on the way home and got caught in HEAVY rain and a few too many deep puddles that I didn't see till I was on them. Pedaled about 9 km). I wanted something a bit lighter for when the chips were down. The Fighter wasn't designed for a derailleur so it's been a compromise putting it on. I get the full range of the issues Full Throttles said: ghost changes, missed changes, the annoying chain slap and a weaker bike. It is my commuter so spends most of its life on the road and I just deal with the shift irregularities as they happen. Having a twist shifter helps with the situation. The chain slap when I launch it off a kerb or suitable jump is my penance. It does give me a lot more control over how much power I use so ultimately it will stay for now. I've tried sticking it in one gear and using the Schlumuf but I end up changing gears again at some stage. I imagine I will get rid of it in time when this battery is finished and I drop a massive replacement into it.

Justtoby, I had the job done for me as my welding isn't up to the level required, so don't know the exact details. They just painted the area in a matching colour and you can't really see the difference.

A cold wet day in Melbourne, I decided to revisit video editing. Armed with some more reading and VirtualDub I finally managed to upload it.
[youtube]tDnio0u8UmQ[/youtube]
I had an awesome blast on the new tracks (so yeah, it's on a slow side) tried to edit out scenes with the direct sun.

Enjoy

EDIT: changed link to a HD version

Back