E scooter ignition

cluesless197

1 µW
Hello I recently broke my voltmeter and ignition barrell off my scooter and bought a replacement. When I threaded it down to the controller I connected it and switched on the key and after it all lit up fine it then popped and fizzed and burned out the wire. I have since taken it apart and checked and the only 3 wire connector is orange green and red and I connected it to a read green and black. I know the intention is to keep the smoke in the electrics so my concerns are a, have I done lasting damage and b, what is the correct wire to connect it to? The only ones available are 2 wire black and red ?

Hello I recently broke my voltmeter and ignition barrell off my scooter and bought a replacement. When I threaded it down to the controller I connected it and switched on the key and after it all lit up fine it then popped and fizzed and burned out the wire. I have since taken it apart and checked and the only 3 wire connector is orange green and red and I connected it to a read green and black. I know the intention is to keep the smoke in the electrics so my concerns are a, have I done lasting damage and b, what is the correct wire to connect it to? The only ones available are 2 wire black and red ?
Hard to visualize what you’re describing. Any chance you could upload some pics? Is the three wire connector the same one that the old throttle connected to?

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me. The black red and orange cable is the only 3 way cable that is available the only other connectors are black and reds . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20240209_100719.jpg
    IMG_20240209_100719.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240209_100659.jpg
    IMG_20240209_100659.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Hard to visualize what you’re describing. Any chance you could upload some pics? Is the three wire connector the same one that the old throttle connected to?

Thank you for getting back to me. The black red and orange cable is the only 3 way cable that is available the only other connectors are black and reds . Any help would be greatly appreciated.i have attached some photos . The existing and the new volt meter both looked the same and it doesn't appear to be anywhere else to plug it in 🤷

Thank you

Dan

To the black red and orange. I think I may have realised why. I looked last night and although the wires are the same they are in the wrong order it seems

It's common that you have to reorder the color of the wires on those switches. When you plugged it in, it's likely only to have burned the wire of the new part. Order a new one.

When I do this, instead of connecting it down at the controller, I often just cut the wire up at the top and use butt connectors to connect the new one. That way I don't have to run the wire through any stem.

Back