ebike insurance

By the time the truck loses control, most of the fault is assigned to him. Any good truck driver knows to plow down the errant road user instead of risking losing control anywhere near a bus full of children. Out of control swerving is what SUV drivers do and is a good argument against using them where a sedan is more appropriate.

SamTexas said:
If Frank were riding his regular, non-electrified bicycle would the picture have changed? I might be wrong here, but I don't see any difference at all.

What does this have to do with power-assisted bicycles? Or may be I'm missing something.

In fact, the story remains the same if Frank were driving his fully insured car. The insurance company will only pay up to his policy limit. He's on his own for anything above and beyond that limit.

I agree, same thing would happen on 10 speed non electric bike.

Has anyone had any success registering an electric motorcycle, or low speed motorcycle in Canada or BC?
Has anyone even had success registering a car/truck electric conversion?

As, i currently understand it's pretty much useless to convert a 50cc lsm in Canada/BC.
I guess the only option is to buy a Zero Motorcycle for $14,000+

A limited-speed motorcycle is a specific class of motorcycle. Its requirements and specifications are not set out by ICBC, but laid out in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, which read as follows:
"limited speed motorcycle" means a motorcycle that
(a) is equipped with a motor having
(i) a piston displacement of not more than 50 cc, or
(ii) a power source that produces a maximum of 1.5 kW,
(b) has a power drive system that does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged,
(c) has a maximum attainable speed on level ground, with or without pedals, of 70 km/hr,
(d) has a maximum weight of 95 kg excluding fuel or batteries used to store energy for vehicle propulsion, and
(e) has wheels of a diameter of 254 mm or more;

These specifications are taken from Transport Canada’s definition of a limited-speed motorcycle, as laid out in the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act and regulations. The standards for such a motorcycle are measured in accordance with International Organization for Standardization standard ISO 7117-1981, Road vehicles - measurement method for the maximum speed of motorcycles. A motorcycle manufactured to meet these standards bears a decal confirming that the motorcycle meets the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to be designated as a limited-speed motorcycle. Retrofitting a motorcycle to have it meet the required standards and certified as such is likely expensive.

gogo said:
By the time the truck loses control, most of the fault is assigned to him. Any good truck driver knows to plow down the errant road user instead of risking losing control anywhere near a bus full of children. Out of control swerving is what SUV drivers do and is a good argument against using them where a sedan is more appropriate.

This is true.

That's why wagons need to come back into acceptance as the family utility vehicle. Giving folks that don't understand vehicle dynamics a top-heavy and unstable beast is a formula for disaster

I am not familiar with Canadian standards but some jurisdictions have a section in their Motor Vehicle standards that cover vehicles which are extensively rebuilt, modified from stock, or are custom from the ground up. These may cover categories such as scooter/moped with specs like you quoted. Of course there would be a vehicle inspection to insure that it is roadworthy. Be careful around topics such as Transport Canada standards for wheels/tires-do they have to be stamped/ labeled?-and silly things like distances between turn signal lights, which side of the handlebars the turn signal switch is located, etc. Do lights have to be Transport Canada stamped and approved? Expect the anal unexpected.

The bigger problem for many of our builds may be getting the initial registration for an unheard of make (?). They have a blue book which lists all the current makes and estimated value. When I did mine, I told the nice lady at the DMV that the brand name wouldn't be in her blue book cause "they are importing a lot of Chinese scooters with funny names". So I gave her my original bill of sale which did have the manufactures number on it and the make and model of my bike. She accepted that. I wrote her a check and she gave me a nice new plate with vehicle registration properly filled out with the bikes year, make and model. Also got insurance which for similar reasons was a hassle, but having a plated inspected vehicle helped convincing the insurance company that it was legit.

Of course in all this the inevitable question may occur-"Is this thing home made?"

:pancake:

Good luck.

I was thinking if I ever get pulled over by the cop's I know I am going to get a s--t load of tickets but if I have Insurance and am registered with a tag then maybe it won't be so bad. So just asking how many of you my fellow ebikers get insurance and tags for your bikes. most of my route to work is a 35 mph zone but to ride with traffic I have to ride anywhere from 45-55 which Is really the speed I like to ride anyway, I pass cop's all the time (knock on wood) and it seems like I am invisible to them they never even look at me(Thank God). the bike just seems to flow better at higher speeds unless some cage turns in front of you then stop when they finally see you. which has become more frequent lately it seems like every trip to work there will be a close call then on the way home another maybe I need some type of insurance to protect my 2000.00 bicycle. I say 2 grand but it cost me a lot more in trial and error to finally get the combo that works for me and my terrain. So do you have a tag and insurance and if so, how do you go about getting a tag for a bicycle.

Thanks Guy's for any input.

e-biker said:
the bike just seems to flow better at higher speeds unless some cage turns in front of you then stop when they finally see you. which has become more frequent lately it seems like every trip to work there will be a close call

Happened to me twice in the last 7 days.
Well, here's your problem. Install some retina burning head light, or even better, get 2 and run them in stroboscope mode

police.gif

Besides, what's a point of having insurance when you're dead?

I hear what your saying about being dead, I have rode harley's for 30 year's and lost many brothers that way. I just ride like everyone is out to kill me and watch every move I can see. If I am comming up on an intersection I don't watch the driver I watch the wheel's ,If I see any movement I start evasion actions right away. This style of riding has helped me this far. But I am more worried about the legal side of any infraction.

Been riding motorcycles for over 45 years. Believe me get a good motorclycle helmet if you are going those speeds.
I would be dead about 5 times if not for helmets but walked away everytime with no injuries due to gear (mostly dirt riding).
Lecture over from the old guy, now get off my lawn.
RC

I have never personally tried to register an ebike because, well frankly, I just never cared. I've heard horror stories from people who have tried though. It obviously varies state to state but in most places, ebikes are a legal black hole that are fairly unregulated. It's sort of one of those 'it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission' situations.

I did try to get insurance on an ebike before but was turned down by a bunch of places that just didn't want to deal with it. Seems in the US no one wants to mess with ebikes... :?

I rolled up next to an unmarked police car at a stoplight today. He rolled his window down and said "that's a serious looking bike there. Electric?" I said, "yup, got my batteries in there (pointing to the large black enclosure in the main triangle". He smiled and said be careful out there and the light turned.

I think you are pretty much screwed as far as insuring a high speed ebike. There might be some state where there is a loophole that I don't know of.

Best thing I can think of, is - start off with a moped or superlight dirt bike frame that has a VIN, and register/insure it. Build it to look like a bicycle and have worthwhile pedaling (with a license plate cover that can be remotely activated) so you can harmlessly use bike lanes and paths at bicycle speeds. But you'd be covered (and legal) in the event of getting stopped or in an accident.

In MD, the new law says that scooters and mopeds (including ebikes) must ride in the bike lane when there is one :shock:

Also, someone posted on this forum the contact info for a Progressive insurance agent from Texas who will write policies for ebikes, because the new MD law also says ebikes need insurance. Haven't done it, but I know I should...

Temporarily take the cranks and bottom bracket out of the frame. Rig up some kind of pegs temporarily and try to get it registered as an electric motorcycle lol.

I always wanted to get insurance for my bike, no luck so far, they want only street legal and the conditions are abusive, i hope some day i can register my bike and ride legally.

lbz5mc12 said:
Temporarily take the cranks and bottom bracket out of the frame. Rig up some kind of pegs temporarily and try to get it registered as an electric motorcycle lol.

I understand this was a "lol" but a good place to comment. The reality is that when you try to get something registered with the DMV (depending on state, assuming this is in the US), you have to meet the safety criteria for that class vehicle. Fair or not, when a vehicle has a Certificate of Origin from a "legitimate" manufacturer, then the process is relatively simple. If it is home-spun, you can get into a multi-year morass. That is why I prefer to stick to things that look, smell, and sound like a bike. No questions asked. As soon as it looks like a motorcycle, you stand a good chance of getting hassled. I never ride faster than surrounding traffic. As long as I annoy the driver with having to drive around me, he thinks I'm a bike, even if I am doing 30 mph. Rather annoy the driver than the cops. So far, with over 7k miles, I've never been stopped. I ride on greenways (but ride like a bike on a greenway) and roads alike. Mostly, no problems. Only two close-ish calls. One was my fault, one was an 18 wheeler on an intown street that came over on me. That was a bit scary.

e-biker said:
... So do you have a tag and insurance and if so, how do you go about getting a tag for a bicycle.

I've done it. Check your state's DMV definition of scooter, moped or motor driven cycle and see how they define them esp concerning speed ranges for each. You may find that you may fit in one of these categories. But be prepared for an inspection including lights, horn, etc. All the motorcycle stuff including a kill switch.

That Progressive Insurance Agent's name is: Allen Lescure (800) 759-2628 x:219. This week I renewed the policy....$71 for 1/2 million of liability coverage. Didn't add Medical Coverage, since my health plan will cover me in the event of an accident.

My bike only goes 20 MPH so it is not tagged. I have had no issues with the cops...Life is Good :lol:

If you want to "register" your ebike as a moped (the only way to do it) then you have to comply with the various requirements: head light, tail light, brake light, blinkers, HP and MPH limitations, etc. I know Progressive insurance is big with motorcyclists, not sure any company would insure a bicycle, but a moped for sure. :D

RoadWrinkle said:
If you want to "register" your ebike as a moped (the only way to do it) then you have to comply with the various requirements: head light, tail light, brake light, blinkers, HP and MPH limitations, etc. I know Progressive insurance is big with motorcyclists, not sure any company would insure a bicycle, but a moped for sure. :D

Yes, as a moped is the most likely way. However, if your 'moped' isn't on the list of approved mopeds here in TX, you need to jump through some hoops to prove it fits their definition. I haven't tried, but I think it's harder than slapping some head/tail lights and blinkers, mirror and horn on your ebike. Don't forget DOT tires and rims.

Does anyone have insurance on their ebikes? I live in California and would like some insurance..

Most renters and home owners insurance will cover you, although it's recommended to call them to confirm what they will and will not cover. They generally have a deductible, but that could be covered by Kryptonite if you purchase the proper lock for your are and register your bike with them. Another option would be to purchase specific bike insurance, I know http://spokeinsurance.com/ is one company that offers it, generally somewhere in the area of $200 a year.

Back