El Tour de Tucson annual bike races

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
ES Bible "Search found 11 matches: +Tour +Tucson"... ES User icerider and his Quick and DIRTY Mongoose Dolomite e-Bike for example:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74729

El Tour EVen has its own entry in that Wikid thingee:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Tour_de_Tucson
El Tour de Tucson is one of the largest road bicycling events in the United States. The El Tour de Tucson was started in 1983 by cyclist Richard DeBernardis, current president of the Perimeter Bicycling Association of America. The ride takes place every November in Tucson, Arizona. The first El Tour attracted nearly 185 riders while in recent years between 7,000 and 10,000 cyclists will attend. Because the Tour is so big, people in the bike industry are exposed to Tucson, and they know it's a good place to ride. El Tour de Tucson helps put Tucson on the cycling map. Bicycling Magazine gives three initial reasons for ranking Tucson as the second-best place among cities its size for riding a bicycle: "Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine."

Lots of Rules for this EVent:
http://www.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-tucson/689-2/

... including Rule Ten:
No entrant may utilize a motorized or power-assisted bicycle nor may a bicycle have such devices attached. All bicycles must be powered solely by human force.

Too late to change things for this year... the main EVents are today...

BUT. My letter/email to race organizers:
Lock
To info@perimeterbicycling.com

Dear Sirs...

I note in your race rules, Rule Ten:
"No entrant may utilize a motorized or power-assisted bicycle nor may a bicycle have such devices attached. All bicycles must be powered solely by human force."

... which for one disabled old cyclist who uses an electric assist... regrettable?

Use of the electric-assist bike/trike has exploded around the world in these last few years?

In the tiny "bike crazy" country of the Dutch, in 2012 they reported then already one million of the Euro "electric pedal-assisted `cycles" on their roads?

Other reports from Europe say that the electric bike is their fastest growing category of bicycle...

... and there are today tens of millions of electric bikes on roads in China.

Organizers for the El Tour may wish to reconsider their Rule Ten to both help encourage use of the bicycle and to not exclude a growing segment of the population that now travel with electrics.

Regards

Lock Hughes
Toronto

:mrgreen:

Well. sounds like a race to me. So why would a motor be allowed ever?

It does sound like a fun ride for most though, so they should have a place for non competitive entries, but start last so they don't become a draft horse for the competitors.

20 mph law in AZ would easily prevent the street legal motorized bikes from catching the leaders, who will be riding 30 mph. And of course, why would they consider letting a motorcycle with pedals in the bike race.

Sure wish the original Tucson motorized bike race had not died out in 2009. That was real fun.

Yah. Watt he said. ^^ Re the original Tucson motorized bike race...

I'll suggest the Ebike Nation showing up at a race for thousands of pedal-only Poop-Mobile-style riders would "make a splash". Race organizers could maybe have a separate category for folks that don't spill their drinks so much.

Might be no coincidence that the annual EVent should come at about the coolest time of the year for Tuscon:
https://www.visittucson.org/about/weather

New "Sweat Free" category maybe... Kinda wonder how many Tuscon cyclists are out and about in July-August... Hehe

All but the Fun Run are considered a race. Human Powered.

There are was an exception for the Fun Run but a last minute incedent prevented that this year.

Now, I'm on my way out to watch the lead pack......

A "race"? One definition "a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, boats, etc., to see which is the fastest in covering a set course."

... so not sure who set the rules as "human-powered" only? Next years ES Award for least amount of energy consumed to move one human-sized animal over a distance.

hqdefault.jpg

EDIT: Incidently... Had to look that up:
Incedent
When a dumbass or box (see definition) drives a truck and trialer through a swamp and gets stuck over the axle.
Halm is a dumb frock and got into an incedent
(Although many "Thumb Down" that definition.)

They sort of avoid the word "Race" but thats what draws thousands from over the globe despite it not being a UCI sanctioned event. It began as a local treat and today generates millions in charity contributions. The organizers don't get rich on it. Pretty cool.

I have lived in Tucson off and on for decades and it has always been a bike friendly town, despite the nearly constant heat. Lots of bike lanes through town which seem to be very well respected by drivers and many miles of paved bike trail along the river or in the various parks in town and nearby. Having said that, I've never seen an ebike there. I don't doubt there are some, but compared to other so-called biking towns that I have visited recently (Ashland, Portland), there must not be very many. I spent two weeks there last Feb and mine was the only ebike I saw the whole time. I rode off road in the riverbeds and washes and on the paved trail along the river and while there were lots of bikes, there were none with batteries. I did see lots of beach cruisers with clip-on 2-stroke motors ridden by what looked like street-people trailing clouds of blue smoke, but no ebikes. :oops:

Hehe... Well, ya gots yer Cruz Electric Bicycles store in Tucson... Ajo Bikes... Performance Bikes... the Trek Bicycle Store... the Arizona Electric Bicycle Company... Sabino Cycles... All their customers might be "out-of-towners". One "problem" I've had is not noticing anything "odd" while passing some other ebikes. aka "in traffic".

Perhaps, but while I was last there, I went to a couple of Sabinos outlets for stuff and the ebikes must have been buried in the back, because I didn't see any. I needed some weird sized, for Tucson, fatbike tube and I went to a bunch of places before I found one in a shop across town. None of them had an ebike on display or out front as far as I could tell and as a newbie ebiker, believe me, I was looking.

I am sure that lots of Trek and Specialized and other OEM dealers are being forced to take a few ebikes as part of their deal, but they do not seem to be very proud or excited about it. They will turn up on an online search though.....

On the other hand, I saw ebikes everywhere in Ashland, so many that I began to expect that any bike I saw had a battery!

WoodlandHills said:
On the other hand, I saw ebikes everywhere in Ashland, so many that I began to expect that any bike I saw had a battery!

Cool. NEVer made it yet to Ashland...
ashlandsign280.jpg

No,not many ebikes here, I've only seen 2 in the last year(There are a couple of members here that I have not met).
I've read that there is an ebike shop downtown, but it's unclear whether it's a real brick and motor store.
Lot's of Spooky's(Genaric name for the gas motor kitted bikes)and I know a lot of them. They are always real interested in my Ebikes until I tell them how much money I have into them. Most are noisey, smokey and go faster than the law allows, but the Cops don't bother them much. With the open borders and budget cut-backs, they are overwhelmed and don't have much to do with traffic anymore(Much to the delite of the sport bikes which blast around town w/ little restraint.).
The big news is the Loop is nearing completion, only the section between Craycroft and Tanque Verde needs finished. When it's done(1 to 2 years), there will be a "bicycle beltway" around the city totaling 65 miles. This is a "shared multi-use pathway" closed to motors, so I only ride my stealthy and slow(18 mph)assist bike on them. It's dead silent in use and nobody ever gives it a second look;

As mention above, there are bicycle lanes on most thoughfares that have speed limits 35 mph. The only problem w/ these is that after the monsoons, the lanes get filled w/ sand and Goat's Head thorns.The City, to their credit have been cleaning them as fast as they can.

^^ " It's dead silent in use and nobody ever gives it a second look"...

Looking fwd. to reading about the first doping scandal at El Tour!

:mrgreen:

Spookys, shows how big his influence in the area is. http://spookytoothcycles.com/ He's the guy that started the Death Races, which eventually moved to the Kart track in Tucson.

Never seen a place with more gassers than Tucson.

One reason the street bike race has a problem with adding a motor category is the difficulty with determining if a particular bike is street legal. You'd instantly get guys riding home made motorcycles with pedals. Far more trouble than it's worth.

Where I live, there is usually at least 6 ebikes riding around town of 100,000 people. More that one like me, that keeps riding year after year. But because of western town sprawl, I really rarely see one. Even at the Christmas toys for tots ride, I'm the only e bike in a group of several hundred bikes. Surely there are more e bikes around, but likely parked, like 98% of all bikes, gathering dust.

I'm up on the mesa on the east side, and most of the bike riders are down in the valley, closer to the U. Just like in Tucson, you see a lot of bikes near the U, and nearly none out in the burbs. In general, I see only the hard core racers, which are going out to the same mountain I kill motors on when I do a test to destruction. And like Tucson, the prime riding season is winter, even though riding an e bike in summer is nice in the desert. Cooler for a short trip than any car that was parked in the sun. Riding a regular bike in summer is torture after 9 am.

dogman dan said:
One reason the street bike race has a problem with adding a motor category is the difficulty with determining if a particular bike is street legal. You'd instantly get guys riding home made motorcycles with pedals. Far more trouble than it's worth.
In Arizona (and thus Tucson), as long as the motor is electric (or at least not gasoline/ICE), it can have a million HP and still be street legal, as long as you are not riding faster than 20MPH, and it has 3 wheels or less in contact with the ground, etc. The same speed limit applies to ICE assist, too, but there is a cylinder size limitation of 48cc (though no HP limitation that I recall, so if you could somehow get higher HP out of the tiny cylinder....). The speed limit does not apply to human powered bicycles, however--the only limit is the street's speed limit wherever the rider is riding it, or whatever is "reasonable and prudent" (whichever is less).

http://www.azleg.gov/viewDocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/02516.htm

But because of that limitation in speed, any race not on private tracks/land makes any bike that is not fully human powered (with any assist on it of any kind), kinda pointless, as good human racers can certainly go faster than 20MPH for extended periods. Unless it is such a long race that humans would become too exhausted to keep up >20MPH for the entire race, an assisted bike could never win, if ridden legally. (assuming one had enough gasoline or battery power to keep going that long).

If ridden illegally on public streets/roads, the rider could be ticketed and the usual tickets I've read about in reported cases are the big three, no licence, no registration, no insurance, because at that point it's considered by the police to be an uninsured / unregistered motorcycle. They'd probably impound the bike, too, and then the impound fees probably make it cheaper to build or buy a new bike than get the old one back. :/

If the race is not on public roads/streets/highways, but on a private track, then it's a different thing entirely, and the assisted bike with the biggest motor and highest capacity power source and best brakes would probably win, as long as the rider could keep it rubber-side-down. ;)

But regarding engine size for ICE, if road-legal was a requirement for the race, it would require that the riders bring their bikes with the cylinder tops not installed, and a volumetric test or measurement done prior to the race, to ensure that ICE bikes would not be outside the road-legal size.

Electric motors would be more complicated to ensure compliance with any race-specific rules, but cannot have a "road legal" compliance test as there are no laws regarding their size, power, etc., in AZ.

Exactly what I mean,, race but you can only go 20 mph,,, hmm,,, But any HP you want,, hmm. How do you tech qualify for this?

Off road race another story,, no speed limit.

Seems like a street legal, non competitive fun ride category for motor bikes could be done. Just let them go well ahead of all, so they are not stinking up the peloton with the spookies. Eventually, the fast guys would catch them. Or the cops if going over 20 mph. :roll:

But,, not holding my breath for the bike community to start loving motorized bikes.

Hehe...

"But,, not holding my breath for the bike community to start loving motorized bikes."

Me? Gambling that some biking folks will be getting "of a certain age"... Read stuff from EU that it was... "older" folks that first starting using an assist... then younger folks started to... "wake up" to watt was going on. (Traveling more, for longer distances, not arriving for work needing a shower and change of clothes and a snack... and a nap. hehe)

Travel as entertainment, more than just work or all exercise. :wink:

Back