Electric Surf Board

The e-foilboard looks sweet. I was going to try out foiling this summer, but never got around to it. Too hard to time the wind around here to get out kiting. That got me searching again into what is available. My project got put on the back burner severely. It is tough trying to get this put together. Trying to figure out prop or jet sizing, mechanics of it all, waterproofing and doing fiberglass work. I don't have the skills for it. Anyhow I came across the Alibaba version. I emailed them and they said they are still having issues on their version, but they are close. Here is what I could dig up on it. They seem to have two versions. One with a 72v 7500w one motor setup and the other with a dual 3300w 48v motor jet drive. All the pics seem to be classic Chinese photoshop jobs.
images

20160627102939423.jpg
20160627102944945.jpg

QP55-RN0axd3tWmoGdnjXJoSwRKb_GqNCt7UpKK0HhymSbpZnJI-TJWypYM9Eib79ceF=s85

Rip off photoshop of Onean boards!
images

20160316050225149.jpg

20160316050226195.jpg

he new radio driven jet surf board specifications
1. The shell integral casting with new carbon fiber material, overall weighs 26.3 kg

2. The configuration of 5 a charger

3. Guide the rudder three

4. A handbag

5. A set of maintenance tools

6. The board length 2000 x 700 x 700 MM wide

7. Battery powered by American 13 ah A123 lithium iron group, full of electricity in smooth water condition can run for 30 to 40 kilometers per hour 30 minutes, also according to the different custom 22 ah large capacity battery

8. Waterproof level IPX8

9. To configure a wireless remote control can be floating of the water

Product Information Color Black, white
Voltage 72V
Power 7500w
Battery Capacity 13Ah
Jets 8cm
Certifaicate A patent for invention, new practical patent
Packing wooden case
N.W 25.3kg
G.W 42.8kg
Carton Size 2400*800*300mm
Charging time 2hours
Battery life 1000Time to charge and discharge
Running time 35minutes
Basic Features
Size: 230 cm * 80 cm * 16 cm (80 cm is the widest place)
Battery capacity: 10000 mah * 2
voltage:48 v
Power: 3300 w * 2
Continue voyage course: 30 to 40 minutes (moderate speed)
Gear: including three gear
Maximum range: 30 to 40 km (moderate speed)
Gear: including three gear
Continue voyage course: 30 to 40 km (moderate speed)
Weight: 100 kg
Net weight: 25 kg.

[youtube]VSzE4O8n0yc[/youtube]

I am sure you get what you pay for, but they are selling for $3k which is what I personally would be willing to pay. Onean seems to still be the best value. I would love to ride the Chinese version and just mod it to where I'd be happy with it. I think the company that makes this made a bunch of hoverboards that caught fire - so maybe not ideal. Still tough to spend that money when you know the motor, controller and battery probably sell for around $600 retail and you are getting some plastic board with that.

Here's the link to the wallygadget site:
http://www.wallygadgets.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=108&id=734

Hy Toto,

I am interested to buy your printed water jet turbine please let me know is any different types and how to buy it.
Thanks

Hey everybody,
Over the past few years I have been working on a gesture controlled motorized surfboard, you can check it out here: teddydonnelleymaker.com sorry about no riding video, I only rode it one time before the waterproof bearing in the jet started letting in water.

Here are some pictures of the board:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/788a5d_22af841e1b974a0aba14739706e35f6b~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_630,h_473,al_c,q_80/788a5d_22af841e1b974a0aba14739706e35f6b~mv2.jpg

and a video of some testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uru1dOPyi3A

Nice project Teddy, looks as if you've made some really good progress. Do you think your board is capable of 20 mph (approx 30 kmh)?

*** EDIT *** I've just read on your website that you think it will achieve 24 mph, but is this without a rider? If so what speed do you think it will achieve with an average weight rider? Another question, which MHZ jets did you use? The unit price seems to escalate quite quickly as you go up in diameter!

Just saw the website from teddy. Very nice. How exactly did you made the board water tight ? I see at the pics just a black rubber hose that is even screwed flat at the ends. And this is waterproof? Don't you have water inside through the bearings of the jet ?

Very nice to see you came this far. Please upload more videos soon :mrgreen:

Hi everyone,
To answer a few of the questions,
1) I achieved a general speed of 17-20 mph while riding the board with the standard hand remote. Basically I just compared it to the speed of the boat riding beside us. I was not able to actually ride the board with the gesture glove, because of the bearing seal failure.
2) The most difficult aspect of design the board was determining what jet(s) provide enough thrust, in conjunction with motors that don't use more battery than they need, and of course a big enough, cheep enough battery system. For my specifications a combination of two jet 52's with leopard motors and four 16 AH batteries did the trick.
3) I had pretty heavily abused the jets in my constant board repurposing so I think I damaged the seal somehow in that process. I would Highly recommend the jets.
lt me know if you have any more questions!
Teddy

https://electricsurfsports.com/onean-carver-electric-surfboards-almost-here/

Check out third picture. Would it be important to have the jet this low ?

20mph is planing speed I think. Didn't the jet suckling air ?

Teddy,

Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful info. I'm going through the same decision with the MHZ jets and it is definitely an interesting subject. As you know, these are the jets:

Jet4 Power=1PS Thrust=140N Price=196EUR
Jet52 Power=4.4PS Thrust=240N Price=379EUR
Jet64 Power=12PS Thrust=400N Price=666EUR
Jet80 Power=16PS Thrust=500N Price=870EUR

The power vs. thrust calculations are interesting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust) and I'm still trying to calculate some reliable empirical results for the surfboard application taking all factors into account. Your choice of 2 Jet52 units is interesting. Could you elaborate on what drove you to choose 2 of these drives as opposed to, say, a single Jet64 or Jet80 which produce a similar total thrust value in a single drive? Was there a sweet spot? Some of me likes the redundancy of 2 drives, but then again is it that important? A single jet drive would reduce the cost of having to buy a second motor and potentially a second ESC. Also it could potentially reduce battery load, leading to reduced battery costs or longer run time.

I am in no way saying that your choice of 2 units is worse, in fact I cannot do anything but heap praise on you for the progress you've made. I've not even started cutting open one of my boards yet!

Torque,
I honestly thought that the jet 80 would be the best however, the price of a motor powerful enough to produce max thrust would be a lot but more than anything it seems to me like the battery consumption of those larger motors is practically exponential in relation to size. (I have no facts to back that up, just based off of some advertised numbers.
I didn't think that a single 64 would be big enough and I don't think that two of them would warrant the significant price increase.
Really all I did was look at the (exaggerated) thrust numbers and figured that with 2 jet 52's at 75% advertised thrust I could get around 80 lbs of thrust. It wasn't very scientific but basically the way that I decided that this would be enough thrust was considering that when I waterski the point at which I first get up to plane is the point which requires the most thrust and I didn't think it ever feels like I am LIFTING 80 pounds, and it takes much more force to get up to plane on a small waterski than on a larger board.

Honesty I thought that it seemed unrealistic for the jet 64 to produce that much more thrust than the 52, but maybe it would be a better option.

Hope this answered some of your questions

It has answered my questions, thanks Teddy. I feel a bit more armed with information and I can see your logic behind using the 2 Jet52s. Having looked yesterday at suitable motors to drive the 64 or the 80, I too realised that they have to pump out some significant power to drive the jets sufficiently well, so the 2 smaller jets may be the better option.

Steve

this thread is awesome and after all the research i have been doing leads me to think i am on the right track

teddy. do you have any updated videos of real world application of your twin 52 design. i have been debating a single 52 or single 64... so i need to do some math then and start a drawing board

also can you update your motors.... leopard motors and four 16 AH batteries ... do you have a link to your motor choice.. and what voltage are your batteries? i am coming from the rc side of things ie. kv and # of cells... my plan was a 50100 t24 750kv motor 300a esc and a single jet ... just when i think i figure it out something changes my mind. i want to be of help to this hread too so i will take all constructive criticism

Here are the motors and batteries

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEOPARD-5692-1340KV-Motor-200A-Brushless-ESC-Water-Cooling-Fit-0-9M-to-1-5M-boat-/311718001901?hash=item4893d73ced:g:Hc0AAOSwpLNX~etT

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61510__Multistar_High_Capacity_6S_16000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html

So I actually got the motors for very cheap because I knew a guy who was selling these same packages with the ESCs (which by the way are some of the lowest quality ESCs yet still somehow never burnt up, and did their job)

Obviously the batteries are maybe not the very best quality, but those prices with that much capacity and voltage was defiantly worth a shot, they too lasted very well.

Also I'm in the process of updating the website with the riding videos, I need to make sure it is looking nice for college applications!

Hi, I'm new to this place and being just returned from a surftrip, I'm thinking on electric paddle support, not for a selfplaning watercraft.
The paddle support should make me able to paddle into the lineup and sometimes to support accelerating to get into the wave. To be able to start some calculations, I would need an idea of how many watts does a surfer need, to paddle his board and how if he paddles with all the powers which his muscles deliver. Anybody got an Idea about this?
I've read that an arm cannot deliver more power than 10W, i.e. 2 arms 20W, even if we multiply this figure with factor 5, we receive a poor 100w...

If I check the jet-units of mhz boats, the low cost jet 4 provides much more power, meaning it should be more than sufficient. (Today its actually offered for only 160€...) The advantage of the jet 4 is, that its rather small, together with the engine it a little over 1kg and it does not need a lot of battery weight too.
I'm shaping and building my own surfboards out of wood, so I could easily make it fit into a decent funboard with 60l volume. The idea as already mentioned is just paddling suport, because my paddle muscles are quite poor, being 53 years old..., the main function of the entire construction is still surfing waves, without any electric support. so weight is a major factor, especially battery weight....

Do you think the jet 4 is enough or even smaller the kmb 28 jet engine could work for my needs too? The thrust of the kmb is described as follows: 200 - 400 W / 13.000 - 16.000 rpm / 2,5 - 4 kp ... ??? Even 2 of those where lighter (and cheaper) than the Jet 4 and easier to install into a surfboard, due to the minor size...

I just read some post and got some inromation about the wavejet propulsion system. Does anybody know, what equipment they use? if I just measure a picture of a longboard with 59cm width on the wavejet site, the propulsion or jet tunnels are about 3cm only, which may relate to two 28mm jet units, maybe I should follow this route...

Insane.

And maybe this esc can handle it.

Flier biggest powerful brushless ESC 90V 800A for RC boat programming box
http://s.aliexpress.com/3uyY77ze
(from AliExpress Android)

Hi everyone

I am following this topic now for a long time and I also started my own DIY electric surfboard project back in 2015.
Now I think it's time to show you how far I got so far. Here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUuA-0vBQ-A

If you are interested to read something about this project, please let me know.

eFr3ak said:
Hi everyone

I am following this topic now for a long time and I also started my own DIY electric surfboard project back in 2015.
Now I think it's time to show you how far I got so far. Here is the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUuA-0vBQ-A

If you are interested to read something about this project, please let me know.
Just perfect !!!!!!
Of course we want ALL information of this nice projet
engine , ESC , Batt, remote,and your best speed too ?
good job again !!!

Great project, we need informations. wich propeller? Motor ?
Nice result, it works great !

It better than torqueedo prop system, I ve ever seen a project like yours :
https://youtu.be/-fsOfF-IHKw

Envoyé de mon D6503 en utilisant Tapatalk

Back