End of the World. Beginning of a new one. The Life of Amberwolf.

Not such a good weekend; found out I have a flea problem...never had fleas here. The most likely source is something brought over with my sibling, as Raine took a trip to my dad's when he was really sick (dying, turned out), and that place apparently was a flea-infested hellhole. Raine did everything possible to nto bring any back and to kill any that did come along, but given the timing I think that's the most likely source, as it was a few months back for coming here, and a few months before that for the origin trip, time enough for flea life cycles on eggs to hatch, mature, lay more eggs, and hatch more....

Anyway, wherever they came from, I was shaving Tiny's butt and tummy cuz she's been leaking urine again, and this makes it easier to keep her clean and prevent skin infections, etc., and saw tiny black dots stuck to her fur as I cut down into it, which I've seen before many many years ago at a different house with a different dog. A few seconds later, I saw movement, and confirmed what I was afraid of.

Now, to be fair, there was the sign of them scratching when they don't usually, starting a couple weeks or more ago, but they did that last year with the weather change to cooler and there were no pests. (I'd been checking because Yogi had come preloaded with Ticks back in the summer of 2014 when he arrived here). So since I had checked and not found anythign in a basic comb-thru when ti started, I dismissed it. :(

That was a mistake, apparently. So I finished Tiny's butt-tummy shave, and included the lower half of the ribs and part of the chest, which I'd not planned to do but felt best to. Then I did the same on Yogi (minus the butt-shave as he doesnt' leak, and it wouldn't be from there anyway on him).

I didn't find any on Yogi but that doesn't mean they aren't there, so I treated them both with a Fipronil-type flea/tick treatment, and washed/bleached/sprayed down with a flea-killer all of their bedding, floors, little rugs and mats around the floors, and my bed and bedding and bedroom, and everywhere else they usually lay around.

Raine treated Mouse (the cat), too, although there's none found on her yet either.

I spent all day doing this, and didn't get anything else done I needed to except the tubes and brake pads on teh trike, whcih were a requirement. I still have a whole bunch of yard work that was supposed to get done this weekend but didn't (some yestrday, but noen of today's), and fixing some stuff around the house, had wanted to work on the music computer some more, etc.

All I managed to do on that front was possibly destroy the Thundersky cells I have been using to run the audio amp from--more on that in the studio thread. :/

I'll have to keep an eye on boht the dogs and see if there are still live fleas tomorrow morning; if not I'll need to buy some flea shampoo at work and give them both thorough baths with it, and hope it works. (the fipronil should kill off any fleas or eggs or larvae within hours to a day, but they've both still been doing some scratching tonight, more than a third of a day since they were treated, so it might not be working).

I've caught two loose fleas on myself since I lay down to type this up, so with the dogs treated but laying around nearby I expect the fleas may be jumping ship and looking for a new home. I might have to use a flea-spray-bomb, of which I have two if I do have to. But Raine and Mouse will need to be able to be outside when I use them, if I do that, even though their room is closeable from the rest of the house, cuz it could still get in there from the vents/etc., and neither one of them does well with this sort of spray stuff.

So....we'll see how things go, but I really don't like this situation.

No more fleas so far. Have sprayed wherever I think the dogs might've ended up depositing eggs or fleas, and combed thru their fur, cleaned bedding/etc., and will re-treat periodically to make sure I get any eggs that hatch, etc.

But I've gotten bites that might be fleabites, and I have not seen or felt anything.

It's getting cold out at night now, too--in the low 40s F, down to high 30s. Been working at putting planters in the sun. Probably not gonna be able to transplant anything for he next few months, maybe March or so.

No more bites on anybody since above, though it's warmed up a little.

But Tiny's managed to hurt her right shoulder; appears to be a sprain, probably caused by her and Yogi playing too roughly/exuberantly. They get pretty playful fairly often, and are so big it's easily possible they coudl've collided in a way that could stress something.

It was sometime while I was at work, so I don't know exactly wha thappened, just guessing based on deductions. It wasn't as bad the first day, but yesterday was a bit worse, and today she doesn't want to walk on it much at all, but she also was getting excited by the usual things and running around anyway, up to late yesterday night.

This morning she had a hard time getting up at first, but did without help and was better after walking a bit, but is doing most of it 3-legged. :(

To complicate things, she's also got another fever, probably unrelated to the shoulder. It started slowly increasing yesterday, and around sunset today it was 102.4F, and is up to 103.0F now, with slightly labored breathing, even though she's resting and has been for a while now. Can't hear any bad lung sounds yet.

Probably unrelated, but she's also got some irritated spots on her upper front lip that coincide with shape and placement of teeth there, making me suspect that she might've bitten or scraped that lip in whatever tumble hurt her shoulder. If she wouldn't just lick it right off, I'd try some ointment.... :/

I notified the rescue group to see if maybe a vet appointment would be a good idea (especially since I'm off tomorrow so am free all day).

Probably gonna be a mostly-sleepless night worrying.

Crosspost to the Tiny's Wheelchair Project thread, for those following Tiny there but not here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68997&p=1127038#p1127038

TIny is mending now...

Left work early on friday to meet with the head of the rescue group to take her to the vet; arrived at my house with Tiny just as she was driving up; off to the vet we went, and some troulbe and a few hours later, we were back home, with some pain meds for her shoulder, and antibiotics for her fever/infection.

Xrays show nothing is broken, or any bone changes (like cancer/etc) in those areas, but there is pneumonia, as I'd expected them to find.

Her fever has now dropped from arond 103.4 average to 102.4F average, so the antibiotics are probably doing something.

But she's also lost her appetite for her regular food, probably cuz antibiotics often change the way things taste. Thankfully she's still wanting some other foods, so I can at least get her to eat, even if not quite as much as usual. I expect a couple of days of that and she will be hungry enough to want to eat more of her regular food along with other stuff.

Right now, most of what she's doing is laying around resting, mostly outside during the day. She'd do that at night, too, despite the mid-low 30s to low 40sF temps, if I didn't keep the way out there closed off. (which Yogi doesn't like cuz he gets bored adn wants to go out there a lot, so he has to come get me to let him out).

I had to completely close it off to them both because just closing the door is not enough--with her hurt shoulder leaving her unable to climb without help, you'd think she'd stay inside if the back door was closed...but no, she manages to climb up the couch to get to the doggie-window-door, but can't quite get out thru it, so she got stuck in it, either unable or unwilling to backup and get down again on the inside, just sitting there panting partway out the flap; when I looked out at her face from the outside, she just had a "see what I did, I'm so proud of myself" look on her face, wagging her tail at me.

But I had to get up on the couch and lift her completely up by her harnesses, front and rear, and then lower her down to the floor on all her four legs, hodling her up long enough to let her get steady first, then opening the door to take her out on walkies.

Now I just watch for when she wants out, and then we go out there. When I'm sleeping she wakes me with her "walkies pant", which is different from her "I'm melting pant"....

She's walking around on her own pretty well, but gets tired and limpy fairly quick. Still tries to get into situations she can't get out of, so I have to keep her around me, and take her to work with me.

Can't leave her free to go outside on her own at night, either, cuz she'll just lay down in her new favorite spot over by the orange tree, and it's getting down to 29-30F (below freezing) before midnight the last several days, and doesn't get back above freezing until an hour or so after dawn, at ground level, in much of the backyard--basically until the sun hits it.

Aside from the cold air not being good for her pneumonia, it's also not good for her joints and circulation--but she really likes the cold ground since she's still hot, though not nearly as feverish as she had been.

Fevers' down to 101.4-101.8F today and yesterday, but she still won't eat her regular food. She'll eat canned dogfood of a few kinds so far, but doesn't always finish a can before she doesn't want any more for up to several hours, and often won't eat any more of that kind afterward. :(

She'll eat some people foods, so I give her bites of whatever I'm eating, just so she will get something in that tummy.

She does still want lots of water and ice cubes; can't do much liquid water or she'll slosh it back up and possibly aspirate some into her lungs, aggravating the pneumonia. Ice cubes take her long enough to crunch that she has less risk of that.

Mostly, if she can't go outside to sleep, she wants to sleep in the kennel on the trike. But because she has troulbe getting back out of it on her own, after laying there a while, I have to keep that closed, too. :(

I'm considering moving the kennel off of Yogi's trailer into the bedroom, with it's door taken off to keep it out of her way, and putting some blankets in that, so she'll have one to get in and out of whenever she likes here, but wont' have to climb up in to or down out of, and won't wiggle around under her as she does so. I don't know exactly why she likes to stay in the kennels, but she does.

She does that while at work, too--after we close and I'm doing all the stuff around the store to get it ready for the next day, even if I help her out and let her roam, she will go back after just a couple minutes and climb back into the kennel on the trike, and lay there waiting for time to go home.

Anyway, she's getting better slowly, but so far surely.

She's off and on better and not as good, but overall it's a rising curve. :)

Temperature is 101.4-102.0F last couple days, is at the low end right now.

Since it was a lot warmer than previous days, and mostly sunny, both of them got baths today, with flea/tick shampoo, as Yogi's needed one for all his dirt for a little bit, and Tiny's needed one for the leakiness and other stuff that she can't help when she's sick. I used F/T stuff as a precaution (and retreated the yard, and various in-house surfaces, too), so we don't get any fleas back; I still don't know where they came from but we don't want them here. :/

She's still gimpy on her left front leg now, while the right either just hurts less than the left or is better, so she's putting her weight on that instead of the left. Still not up to running around, but she forgets she hurts and trots over to where Yogi is barking at something, sometimes, but begins to limp by the time she gets there, usually.

Still taking her to work with me.

Her Obstinacy's temperature is back up to 103.0F from 101.4, over the last several hours. Might be because she's out of pain meds (Novox) which also help with that, but don't know. Almost done with the antibiotics, too, another day's worth and she'll be done with them. Rescue is brnging a refill from the vet today. We'll probably go back to the vet after christmas as they'll be closed then.

Still gimpy on the left leg, not on the right like she started with. Still has energy enough to want to climb up on things, but not quite able to manage all the way by herself, just enough to get stuck in some places half-up-half-down, so still can't be left on her own, still taking her to work with me.

Still won't eat much of any dog food, and not twice for most of them. One wierd thing is that if I try to feed her normally with my fingers or a spoon like usual at her feeding couch, then she will spit the food out even if she likes it. But if I let her lick it directly out of the can (no, I can't transfer it to anything else, either, or she also rejects it), she'll get about 1/3-1/2 of a can before she starts rejecting it.

I've cooked up a pot of thick stew with barley, rice, mixed veggies, chicken, and assorted other bits of things including a couple of cans of "stew" type dogfood that didn't have any actual stew gravy in it, just the chunks and a little stickiness (Nutro Ultra), as she won't eat it without the gravy part.

This homemade stew she gobbles right down, though she will not eat it if I blender it up, only in it's original form--she wants to but as soon as the texture hits her mouth she gets this awful look on her face and spits it out real quick. :/

We'll see if she'll keep eating it or reject that, too.

Oh, and I have to let her lick it out of a container herself, or she'll spit it out (or refuse it entirely).

The only thing so far she hasn't rejected if I handfeed is some Friskies salmon-type cat food canned, whcih I am using to get her meds into her, in globs around hte pills.

She'll probably read this post and find out I'm doing that, and now refuse to eat it. :lol:

STill loves the stew, surprisingly. Temperature back to almost normal, 100.4-100.6F, much more active and happy, though her left shoulder still hurts, and keeps her from actually running around (doesnt's top her from trying momentarily pretty often, or from climbing up on the feeding couch on her own, though you can see her struggle to balance and climb and she doesn't want any help).

Yogi is happier too, cuz now Tiny will*try* to play even though she cna't really for long.

Is very windy (for here) today, about 20MPH+ with higher gusts, so neither one of them is very happy about being outside, with all the trees moving around and stuff. SInce most don't have much in the way of leaves left it's not too bad but when the ones that do start waving around, they both run/hobble for the door to go in.

Big babies.... :)

and....

Attachments

• IMG_2967.JPG
    IMG_2967.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,971
  • IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 3,971
  • IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,971
Thanks!

Tiny is still a bit gimpy, and has some TERRIBLE-smelling gas right now :shock: but is almost back to normal activity level, and is back to very short periods of pulling Yogi around the yard by one of the sticks they like to chew on (before her shoulder aches enough to make her stop, or she gets pulled onto her face because she won't stop and can't handle pushing with it anymore).

Still taking her to work with me at least till she's out of the antibiotics, cuz I'm still having to feed her several times a day in smaller amounts cuz she rejects food past a certain point in any feeding, and is still quite a bit under normal weight, and is also still getting into situations she can't quite get out of climbing up on things/etc.

She changed her mind on the stews and now prefers the crappiest dogfood I've got, the pedigree canned, but that will probably change before her "lunchtime" meal later this afternoon. I have to bring several kinds of food with me to work to be sure I'll have *something* she'll eat.

Yeah, Tiny is ready for "normal" activity now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK33OSwDiDQ
[youtube]ZK33OSwDiDQ[/youtube]

Also, some other vids I couldn't get uploaded till today:

https://youtu.be/FCosk7wE2NA
[youtube]FCosk7wE2NA[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/AtV18f2hgC0
[youtube]AtV18f2hgC0[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/tCbFp3kOZhI
[youtube]tCbFp3kOZhI[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/LDPsnGBtz5k
[youtube]LDPsnGBtz5k[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/KoTDNFy5AnE
[youtube]KoTDNFy5AnE[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/LfNC5ATZv6g
[youtube]LfNC5ATZv6g[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/5LI6i9K-NnQ
[youtube]5LI6i9K-NnQ[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/wT1NUCAdsuI
[youtube]wT1NUCAdsuI[/youtube]

The new years' celebrations started a few hours ago, well before dusk, and scared Tiny and Yogi so much that they didnt' even come out of the bedroom (where I run a loud fan for noise to drown out stuff like this for them on days I know it'll be happening) when I got home from work. (managed to bang the trike against the doorframe twice loudly and still didnt' get them interested in coming out to say hi, till I got inside myself and came to see them).

For a while after we all laid down after dinner (which itself was an ordeal to get them to eat) in the bedroom, they were both asleep on my legs; now they're cowering there panting from the nervous stress, so I hope I don't need to move soon...I cant' feel anything below my hips. :lol:

Neither has gone potty tonight, either (and they really need to, AFAICT), cuz they aren't going to go outside at all until they are sure all the scary booming noises are all gone...which may take until dawn (some years it does, some it stops quickly).

Presently the booms are slowing down, half an hour after midnight, but they are not the simple firecrackers or small rockets--these are booms like you'd hear at ground zero of a big public fireworks show, that actually can be felt thru the ground! :shock: It's kinda like being in the worst part of the center of a really bad thunderstorm, except it's just single booms and not the echoing of thunder.

I don't know what they're from, but it has to be very close by, with a block or two, or else they must be monstrous explosions that leave very visible craters. ;)

There are also the usual other smaller pops and cracks and whistles and whatnot, but the big booms are what are terrifying Tiny and Yogi--the other stuff just makes them nervous.

The fireworks finally stopped completely, though there are still some drunk people out there yelling and laughing.

I took both Tiny and Yogi out there to do the potty thing, on leashes, cuz both were so nervous they wanted to run back inside.

When they finally settled down enough, after we walked around the yard stopping for hugs and tummy rubs a lot, they decided it was ok to potty, and now they're finally settled down and sleeping for real, on the floor where they usually do, instead of up on top of me all scared of the noises.

Now if *I* can just get to sleep....

Some Tiny pics, and stuff:

Prison-dog wants out:
IMG_3025.JPG

Prison-dog gets her rations:
IMG_2986.JPG

and waits mournfully for more noms
View attachment 4

She's now only on the two white capsules (one for seizures and one for Myasthenia Gravis) and one large tablet (for joints), but this is what she was taking while sick; stuffing them one by one into lumps of the cat food was usually the only way to get htem down her:
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2990.JPG

Tiny and the SB Cruiser (with my work clothes and cold riding gear on top) in the front room, as she paces wanting to climb in and go somewhere:
IMG_3028.JPG

I forgot the pics of the rain/etc, from last week I think:

Attachments

• IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,801
  • IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 3,801
  • IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,801
  • IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,801
I now have two nice big (heavy) solid doors, one each to replace the front and back doors (which are hollow metal-skinned things that rattle and boom with "music" from local "parties" and loud car stereos).
View attachment 2
It'll also mean I can "easily" cut a hole in the new back door to install the doggie door in the actual door, instead of in the window. First I have to cut the new door down in width, cuz it's a lot wider than the one I have now, and though I'd love to I can't increase the doorway width.

This is important because presently I have to leave the backdoor open all the time, albeit with a "blanket curtain" multilayered across it, since Yogi's injured his left rear leg somehow, and while he *can* climb the couch and go out the doggie-door-window, he shouldn't. Tiny also has difficulty going out that window, though none coming back in (and often does that, even though the back door is open, sometimes even when the blankets are pulled aside during the day when it's comfortably warm out there).

Leaving the door open means wasted energy and money, and for this season a colder house, and in the summer a hotter house (if Yogi's injury doesn't heal right and he's stuck with the gimpiness, or if Tiny's arthritis gets worse again (likely) or her pneumonia returns (also likely, eventually) or any of a number of other things that keeps one or both of them from easily being able to use that doggie-window-door).

So being able to just have them use the doggie-door like a normal one at ground level would be MUCH easier on them (if not quite as cute, at times), and save energy and make the house more comfortable for all of us, at the same time.

(as well as reducing the noise that gets into the house from outside).

Origin story of the doors:

Work replaced the bathroom doors so they can be locked to keep vandals and druggies out, since there are never enough of us to keep an eye on that, and we often first find out when a customer comes up to complain about the messes and damage.

We used to have lockable doors, but one of the previous managers took the bolt part out of the deadbolt locks, and sometime between then and now those must've been tossed out by another manager.

I'm not sure why they didn't just replace the deadbolts, because that would've been a really fast and cheap solution, instead of us having to wait months to get the whole doors and door frames replaced.

But since it gives me the doors that were being tossed out, along with all their hardware (hinges, handles, kickplates, and the core of teh deadbolt itself, plus keys), I'll take the windfall and live with it. ;)
View attachment 1
IMG_3094.JPG
They are VERY heavy and awkward, so Bill helped me get them here in his truck, as while I could've gotten them home on the trike and trailer, I would've had to weld up a temporary jig on the trailer to support them upright and tie them down to, to do it. Much easier and probably safer to do it with his truck, as we were already out and about and passing by my work anyway, so no real change in the amount of gas/energy we would've used up. :)

I don't know when I'll get the door cut and mounted, but hopefully soon. Too many other things need doing first, so unlikely to happen tomorrow (and I work the next several days).

more rain....

Storm started about an hour and a half ago, with gusty high winds (30-40MPH I'd guess) for a few minutes, then rainyrainrain, which is still going though lessened for the last little bit, after the thunder and lightning stopped.

Tiny and Yogi as usual are hiding in the bedroom with me; we managed to just finish dinnertime before the thunder and lightning hit, and scared them both out of the feeding area. Yogi is right up here with me.

Street was flooded out to just a teeny bit of the center of the road crown, within minutes after the rain started. By the time dinner was done it had gone down a little, as the rain began to subside slightly, and now it's only the usual "lake" around the corners of the intersection, probably a few thousand gallons on my side of the street. So it looks pretty much like the pics in the post from a couple weeks ago, above.

Except it's dark outside right now (which is why I haven't got any pics of it as it is right now).

Not any rain since the above, though ti's threatened a few times. Has been overly warm and sunny most of the time, which caused a weed explosion for the last few weeks that I've had a hard time keeping up with, pulling htem by hand wherever I can (mostly near other plants I'm trying to keep) because that doesnt' leave anythign to grow back again, and using the weedeater to chop them off at the surface where I can't, which often just grows right back.

It's also got all the trees and lantana sprouting back, leaves everywhere, branches growing, and forcing me to increase my watering from the winter low-usage.

This is all good for the project of getting more shade for summer, but bad for budgeting time and money. :/

After a bunch of other stuff ate up my "free" time, I finally got a few hours on Sunday to move some of the lantana sproutlings from around the bigger lantana plants in the yard, and some bigger ones that were in planters, along with some little mulberry treelets also in planters, to the outside of the east fence and along the border of the front yard east and south, to start a "hedge" along the street sides.

There was already lantana on the inside of the east fence, but Tiny and especially Yogi have repeatedly trampled and broken those so often that only a few have ever gotten very big, other than the ones at the south end of the east yard, by the driveway/house (which are big enough to give a fair bit of shade and privacy, especially right up at the house wall).

So I'm planting more on the outside of the fences so it won't get trampled like that by them, so it can provide some privacy, and help keep them from always seeing all the goings on outside the yard, which can help them to not need to bark (especially Yogi). Also, it'll provide morning shade in summer, keeping the yard a bit cooler for longer.

The other mulberries are growing well, both in back and front, most taller than me and wider than my spread out arms, though at present somewhat thinly leaved. Probalby not a lot of shade from them just yet, but some is better than none.

The bigger established mulberries are all about ready to start fruiting again, and are all making a lot of good shade already.

Still pulling weeds...gonna take a lot more time; mostly crawling around the yard on hands and knees, pulling them out one by one till my hands are too numb to grip them hard enough to be able to pull them out anymore.

It's also starting to get more than just warm out there--it was about 92F yesterday, in the shade, and well over 100F in the sun. Today was over 93F in the shade, and 105F in the sun. Supposed to cool off a bit next few days, then probably back to the heat again.

Good luck with those doors. Unless you are really lucky, hinges won't line up and if ya ever do get door hung in frame you now get the difficult project of weatherstripping. Weatherstripping might be more important here in the north where it is cold but also is needed to keep the heat and noise out. Way easier to buy a door and frame together. I like doors with a window to let some light in and also to see who is at the door.

More thoughts on doors from Marty. Order the door with frame. You don't need a door today. Get a door that fits the rough opening in the building. Order jam width the same as your wall. Steel doors can be painted at the factory. Buying a primed door makes about as much sense as buying a new car with primer and painting it your self. To figure out left/right swing? Start pulling and pushing on imaginary doors. I call this the door dance. The teeth on the key should face up. The locksmith will tell you why.

Heavy metal doors make a nice table on two saw horses.

+1 on the "weed popper" the fingers posted. I ended up with one that my Mother had over 25 years ago and I still use it regularly. The moveable stuff and various parts got bent so many times they eventually broke, etc. so I redid it as a rigid device without the "cleaner" piece and it's even easier to use.

The fingers said:
Why don't you try and weld up something that works like this? Might be easier on the knees and such.
I have one, from when they were first marketed, and they work great for normal people with good knees/etc...but it is presently harder on my knees because to use it I have to bend them while applying a load to it while standing up and not losing my balance, all at the same time. It's way easier to put on knee pads and crawl around to do the job, except it's harder on my hands.

I tried operating it with my hands while down on the ground, but it doesn't really work without my body weight behind it to hold it in the ground, etc.

marty said:
Good luck with those doors. Unless you are really lucky, hinges won't line up and if ya ever do get door hung in frame you now get the difficult project of weatherstripping. Weatherstripping might be more important here in the north where it is cold but also is needed to keep the heat and noise out. Way easier to buy a door and frame together. I like doors with a window to let some light in and also to see who is at the door.
Oh, I know the hinges won't line up; that's not a problem. I'll just chisel out new hinge points on the door when I'm cutting it to fit the door frame.

Weatherstripping is already there on the frame for the existing door, and will work fine with any new door, the way it is made.

I do appreciate the thoughts and information, though.

Even if this was that important a project, I can't buy a door and frame, because I can't spend money on much of anything; hours at work are not being increased like some years, what money I do have saved is intended for the dog food clearance event happening anytime now, which is annual and where I get most of the food I use for the dogs for the year. Have already spent more than I should on other things as it is.

I already have cameras (and other windows) to see who's out there, and to let light in if I need it. (letting light in also usually means letting heat in which is to be avoided most of the year; my regular windows are doublepane and I could cut a window in these and install two panes of glass, but I'd rather not).

One other issue with a window in (or close to) a door is that it is a security risk; as unlikely as it is someone could break the window and reach thru it to undo locks/etc to get in. Not really worried about it with the dogs here, they would make enough noise to scare off anybody that wasn't really dumb. :lol:

More thoughts on doors from Marty. Order the door with frame. You don't need a door today. Get a door that fits the rough opening in the building. Order jam width the same as your wall. Steel doors can be painted at the factory. Buying a primed door makes about as much sense as buying a new car with primer and painting it your self. To figure out left/right swing? Start pulling and pushing on imaginary doors. I call this the door dance. The teeth on the key should face up. The locksmith will tell you why

Even if I could afford it, it would be a a lot harder for me to take out a frame and door, and put one in again, than just a door, since the door just has to be set in place and have it's hinges screwed in, once I have it fitted to the frame. (which while in itself is a lot of work, most likely, can all be done without removing the existing door, so that I can take the time in the little increments I usually have, instead of having to do it all right then all at the same time, which I rarely am able to do...and for me, it could take more than a day, which with the front door would be a real problem with the dogs, unless I coudl do it while i have multiple days off in a row that can be dedicated to the project if necessary).

I don't need a steel door, just something nice and thick/solid to help keep the heat and noise out more than the hollow metal-sheathed cheap things that are on there now. Maybe these will work, maybe they won't. Won't know till I try them. :)

Unfortunately for me, even if it wastes a lot of my time, re-using these kinds of things are usually my only realistic option for my projects and upgrades. I don't have much time, but I have less money. :/

Plus, re-using stuff that already exists and would have otherwise been filling up a hole in the ground is a better thing to do, for me. :)

Heavy metal doors make a nice table on two saw horses.
That's true; but I don't really need any tables ATM, and if I do, I still have (I think) a stainless steel table top that I just need to put on a base (which I also already have, just need to get them in the same place at the same time). Plus I'd have to go get the doors to use as tables, and if I were to buy something anyway, I'd just get actual tables. ;)

Back