• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Fechter's Throttle Interface for RC controllers

fechter said:
Safe, RC controllers are designed to run off a signal from a radio control receiver. The throttle signal to the controller is a pulse that varies from 1ms at zero throttle to to 2ms at full throttle. My circuit simulates the output of a RC receiver based on the input from a standard bike throttle and has the current limiting feature.
Okay that makes perfect sense. :)

Well that's a very significant circuit then... it bridges the gap between ebike technology and RC technology. I didn't know that the ESC's were not using ebike style throttles. :?

VERY SIGNIFICANT indeed Safe :)
i'm hoping to send Richard a little thank you myself once we are set by way of appreciation.
This will help everybody who wants to try RC kit and makes it so much easier.
Maybe we should have an ES "man of the year award", certainly a few contenders recently!!!!

Cheers,

D

deecanio said:
This will help everybody who wants to try RC kit and makes it so much easier.
What is needed is an ebike controller designed for the RC motor. Rather than having to build circuits just to adapt alien technologies with each other, someone (some company) needs to offer an RC specific controller for ebikes.

Hi Safe,

i dont understand why you would want that?
compare an xlyte 72v35a (2520w) that is what? say 8" x 3.5" to the RC controller hv100 which is what 3" x 2" and runs 50v110a (5500w) not to mention the weight saving?
IMO the xlyte controller is fairly ancient, if the rc controllers are lighter, much smaller, more powerful, why would we want to take a step backwards?
the board gets rid of a lot of alien (to ebikers) tech (servo testor etc) and makes it possible to just plug in our standard throttles straight into and RC controller, what could be better than that?
If you think about it even if we had an ebike controller to run an rc motor you have your mismatch of tech right there? we are using rc motors with rc controllers and the only alien part is the throttle, which is why im so stoked Richard and Gary have made this board to help us.

Cheers,

D

safe said:
What is needed is an ebike controller designed for the RC motor. Rather than having to build circuits just to adapt alien technologies with each other, someone (some company) needs to offer an RC specific controller for ebikes.

The Castle Creation Industrial controllers/software would have been ideal (apart from the price) but who knows when/if they'll be available?

deecanio said:
I dont understand why you would want that?
Because you can by cheap ebike controllers for $50.

At some point reality will need to sink in that the price of all this stuff needs to be dirt cheap. We are in a sense "pioneers" today and we are willing to go the extra mile to build a circuit, weld a frame or machine some specialty parts, but when mass production takes over these things need to be cheap, cheap, cheap to survive.

Since RC motors are already "perfected" all that is needed is a controller that matches the needs of the ebikes. We really don't need things so small as the ESC because on an ebike there is plenty of room to place a controller. The ESC is designed to fit inside model airplanes which is smaller than required. Bigger controllers can potentially be cheaper and cool better.

But for the here and now this circuit idea is EXCELLENT. :p

Hi,

i see your point as far as mass production is concerned but i disagree about size, personally i think the smaller the better for stealth especially as most bikes have limited space.
I dont know any quality ebike controllers for $50???
from my own experience i would say that the xlytes etc that we do have are not great when you consider how long they have had to make them robust - how many of us on the forum have blown at least one?? although the esc's are largely unknown to us yet i cant see them being any worse?

"But for the here and now this circuit idea is EXCELLENT. "

for sure!!!!

Cheers,

D

101202.gif

I've ridden over 5000 miles with one of these and they only cost me $28. (and for the last thousand miles I've been overvoting mine to 48 volts even though it's only rated at 36 volts)

http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101202

...ebike parts tend to be cheap. RC parts are extremely expensive, but also deliver some great performance. Maybe something more in the middle price range would be possible.

You can produce good power with a $28 controller and a $75 motor, but the efficiency is not great. The RC motors are so good because they are light weight and efficient. You end up paying a lot more for the added quality though.

Check out http://www.rcgroups.com periodically they have used controllers HV85 or HV110 for decent prices. Scorpion has come out with some controllers that could replace the new high power Castle Controllers that have not come out yet. It might be a good idea to buy a motor ESC combo from the same vendor as they probably are well suited for each other.

But we are getting off topic, lets keep this thread tidy and to the point concerning the Throttle Interface. :wink:

thanks,
tard

I'm getting some test boards made, which I should get back early next week. Here's what it will look like:

RC%20Throttle%20Convertor-v1.2f.jpg

The large caps are 330uF/100V. That should be more than enough to help the controller. As Richard pointed out, some of the resistor values might need to be tweaked a bit, here and there, but hopefully by this time next week, we will have that all sorted out.

I will try mine with my Hacker-based test setup, which I'm hoping to get up and running this weekend.

-- Gary

my f5 key is getting worn :lol:
Good job guys!!!

Cheers,

D

I am hoping we her on ES can have a good variety of setups tested and their performance and efficiency quantified as an aid to others looking at an RC conversion project.

Plus, maybe we can have some all inclusive kits and even turn-key bikes available by then. :wink:

Matt

Fechter,

Would the current limiting part of the circuit limit the large initial current spike?

I captured the current response of my trailer to a constant output pulse while it was on my test stand. This was from a full stop.

Bubba

G1.jpg

Fantastic work Fletcher your a clever chap...glad your having them made up electrical
schmetics make about as much sense as Japanesse too me hahaha... Put me down for one when they are ready for sale.

safe said:
I've ridden over 5000 miles with one of these and they only cost me $28. (and for the last thousand miles I've been overvoting mine to 48 volts even though it's only rated at 36 volts)

I burnt mine out in under 2 weeks safe was the 48volt model running at 48volt...have seen more than a few threads on here about blown Yi Yun controllers...Performance wise...not a patch on the new Kelly i have light and day difference
in acceleration safe.

Thanks, Fechter, I have been silently following recumpence and other RC / EV combination projects.

This looks like one of the missing links.....

It just leaves the need for high gear reduction as a tricky problem.

Going a bit off topic, but closely related: How can one breach the gap between the other two throttle-worlds: ICE motorbike throttle with a cable pulling on pieces inside a carburettor, and an e-bike throttle producing a PWM or voltage signal for use through Fechters interface?
Edit: I have started a new thread to discuss this without messing up this thread at: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8194&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I am pondering to "electrify" an ICE bike by adding a RC motor to the swingarm, and to control the motor and engine through the same throttle.

dontsendbubbamail said:
Fechter,

Would the current limiting part of the circuit limit the large initial current spike?

I captured the current response of my trailer to a constant output pulse while it was on my test stand. This was from a full stop.

Bubba

If you are using a CC controller, you can enable the "Very Soft Start" mode, which should eliminate that spike. We used to see the same thing with RC helicopter setups. That spike was snapping the blades around with so much force that we were stripping main gears, for the higher power setups.

To answer your question, I'm not sure this new widget will help this problem, as it is designed to limit current by cutting the throttle back, under load.

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
I'm getting some test boards made, which I should get back early next week. Here's what it will look like:

RC%20Throttle%20Convertor-v1.2f.jpg

The large caps are 330uF/100V. That should be more than enough to help the controller. As Richard pointed out, some of the resistor values might need to be tweaked a bit, here and there, but hopefully by this time next week, we will have that all sorted out.

I will try mine with my Hacker-based test setup, which I'm hoping to get up and running this weekend.

-- Gary

My two cents on the board layout. First might I suggest getting some larger traces going to those capacitors? They could be conducting some rather large AC currents. Second, how about adding a ground plane under all the control components? Routing as much as possible on the top side and reserving the back for a ground plane can cover a myriad of sins and ain't too hard. (well, ExpressPCB makes it hard by not having a copper pour tool... lots of little copper areas works but is slow.)

My two bits,
Marty

Thanks for the info, Marty. We've already made some other layout changes, related to the caps. I moved the negative pack/controller connections to the left side of the board, so that the paths to the + and - side of the caps would be even. I will increase the size of the traces, and make them double-sided. A ground plane will be harder, but I'll take a look.

I was a bit rushed to get this done quickly, so I could get a test run of boards in, before the cutoff on Friday. I wanted to at least get something test as soon as possible.

+1 for the reservation list! :)

I'm dreaming of an all-in-one board with an HV110, this throttle interface, a voltage regulator for my 12V LED lights, flashers for my signal lights, and a charger for my 48 volts of SLAs! Oh, and a key switch, a horn, cycle analyst and security alarm while you're all at it ;)

Hi Gary,

GGoodrum said:
dontsendbubbamail said:

Bubba

If you are using a CC controller, you can enable the "Very Soft Start" mode, which should eliminate that spike. We used to see the same thing with RC helicopter setups. That spike was snapping the blades around with so much force that we were stripping main gears, for the higher power setups.

To answer your question, I'm not sure this new widget will help this problem, as it is designed to limit current by cutting the throttle back, under load.

-- Gary

Marcus told me you get a similar spike when shifting gears. Amps drop to zero and then a huge spike. My concern with the Nexus hubs is the spikes, not acceleration or high speed use.

Is there a solution for these spikes when shifting gears other than a slipper clutch or slipping v belt?

Back