free lipos

Free batteries

I have four Turnigy 5000mAH 6s batteries. I babied them and they were treated very well BUT i went on vacation and forgot to disconnected them from my bike and over two weeks they slowly overdischarged. I tried to charge them back up but it looks like 1 or two cells on each battery are done for. The remaining 4-5 cells seem ok? I dunno. I dont have the knowledge or the inclination to take them apart to make good batteries out of the remaining cells but if someone wants them, they can have them. I prefer someone local so they can just pick them up. Im in redlands, ca. if not, can someone tell me how to dispose of them properly or any other uses you can think of for them?

neoplasticity said:
Free batteries

I have four Turnigy 5000mAH 6s batteries. I babied them and they were treated very well BUT i went on vacation and forgot to disconnected them from my bike and over two weeks they slowly overdischarged. I tried to charge them back up but it looks like 1 or two cells on each battery are done for. The remaining 4-5 cells seem ok? I dunno. I dont have the knowledge or the inclination to take them apart to make good batteries out of the remaining cells but if someone wants them, they can have them. I prefer someone local so they can just pick them up. Im in redlands, ca. if not, can someone tell me how to dispose of them properly or any other uses you can think of for them?

PM sent

Got there in 13 minutes... Nice one Ykick

Good to see someone is interested. Just wanted to chime in to say I did the EXACT same thing with the EXACT same battery (Turnigy 5000mAh, 6s), but with three instead of four of them. It turned out that the same cell in each battery was bad (zero volts) and the others were, as far as I could tell, fine. It was the second cell from one end (don't remember which end). I'd be curious to know if it is the same cell in these (don't know why it would be though).

pdf said:
Good to see someone is interested. Just wanted to chime in to say I did the EXACT same thing with the EXACT same battery (Turnigy 5000mAh, 6s), but with three instead of four of them. It turned out that the same cell in each battery was bad (zero volts) and the others were, as far as I could tell, fine. It was the second cell from one end (don't remember which end). I'd be curious to know if it is the same cell in these (don't know why it would be though).

I would also like to know. Did the cells that went to zero have different markings on them ?

I took some failed nanotech 10 cell 5000mah batteries apart and the cells were all marked nano 5000 on them except the cells that failed.

What's up with that ? Did they put made to fail early cells in those packs ?

Most everyone blames the user or charger when they fail so I can see how they could get away with it.

Hmm, well if the user left em plugged into the controller and overdischarges em, I blame the user for sure.

But the well known 10% rate of packs that arrive dead or puffed, or get that way in less that 25 cycles I have always blamed on RC lipo factory quality controll.

But putting a few lower quality cells in a big buck nano pack, that's really crossing the line. Not that I find it suprising though, wanna buy a really cheap rolex? Solid gold, I swear it!

Thanks to neoplasticity for gifting me these bricks. Picked em up yesterday while running errands and spent a little time qualifying what's what. Unable to post pics right now but here's a quick rundown of their condition.

1 brick seems to be okay. Slight puff but all cells 3.8V resting and accepting seemingly normal charge.

Next brick appears okay except cell #6 which is completely 0V. Unable to bring that cell up. Surgical candidate.

3rd brick only 2 cells appear to be okay. 4 of 6 cells 0V. Will scavenge 2 working cells.

4th brick very puffed and completely 0V. So far my limited attempts include venting pouches and resealing. Unfortunately, they do not appear to accept small charge.

With a little surgical work will likely wind up with 2 working 6S Turnigy bricks. Of course, these will always be suspect, used and stored appropriately but still useful for recreational purposes.

Thanks again to neoplasticity!

Back