got zapped!!!! stupidity!

atom1025

100 W
So my wife uses old circuit boards for her art projects. I always take old electronics apart and scavange cool stuff.

So there was a 5yr old camera I started taking apart. I took the batteries out and started to disassemble. Some of you allready know what happened next.

Well to my surprise I learned that camera flashes use 330v capacitors that like to dump their current into unsuspecting victims.

I've been hit by 120, 220, then the hardest before today was when I grabbed a distributer cap and got hammered hard. That one felt like I got hit by a hammer 10x in a split second.

None of those hit as hard as this. Completed the circuit from the left hand to the right. I could visualize the ring of electricity that seemed to flow up my left arm across my chest and out my right. My brain saw only white for split second, my brain did something weird that's hard to put into words but it felt like a system reset. I prolly sat blankly for 3-5 seconds before I started yelling and jumping around the house. I was checking my pulse cause it felt like I difibulated myself.

May have killed a chitload of brain cells but everything seems back to normal. What blew my mind was that it came so unexpected. I would of never guessed a divice that runs of 4aa batteries could potentially kill. Glad it was me and not the wife who took the hit.

So I learned a valuable lesson today.

Adam

atom1025 said:
What blew my mind was that it came so unexpected. I would of never guessed a divice that runs of 4aa batteries could potentially kill.

I thought it was the zap that blew your mind : P.

Maybe it's time to implement thick rubber(dielectric) gloves when doing things like this, it sure would beat getting difibulated again.

lmao... i've done the exact same thing while trying to fix the shutter from a friend's camera, on pure reaction and pain i threw it across the living room :oops: .. it hurt.

I've had this bad boy kicking around my office for a few years now, not yet confident enough to play with it.. must learn a bit more before i give it a go and see what it can do. :p

Working on vacuum tube amps teaches respect for 300-600Vdc potentials.

Ykick said:
Working on vacuum tube amps teaches respect for 300-600Vdc potentials.
The vacuum tube 2kv transmitter units will kill. I sized a cover bleeder resistor wrong and opened the cover and it sounded like a 22 going off in the house.

the old B&W tv tubes used to hold pretty good charge too... i know... i was watching a service tech in mt shop one day...trying to learn a bit and saved some money....he took out the tube and handed it to me...AND SMILED....WOW!!!what a jolt a17" picture tube can give you :mrgreen:

Back