Growing pain with ebikes.

The media has too much influence. There was a time when elected officials represented the views of those who elected them. Maybe that’s still the case, since the media has influence in elections as well.
I wonder what defines an ebike battery vs others.

Congress finally agrees on electric bike bill – but not the one everyone wanted

So it sounds like e-bikes will become more expensive with new regulations… On one hand, I want manufacturers to be encouraged to use batteries that aren’t made from the absolute cheapest and fire-hazardous cells they could find, but I know this will result in eBike sales declining and bikes getting more expensive. And sellers will find easy ways to skirt regulations, unless shipping companies do more package checking (meaning more shipping time and money). Now I see why car guys hate the EPA/gov…

The problem with some lithium batts seems charging or discharging related. overcharging and over-discharging. So the charger quality and supervision is paramount. I'm using Amercian made LG brand INS and keep it between 48 and 53 v on a 14s pack.

Will having to get some kind of certification kick small manufacturers like Grin and EM3EV out of the US battery market? That will be a step backwards.

Almost all cheap china sellers don't have any kind of certification. UPP was banned from the UK over it after a number of fires.

Anyone with certified batteries is gonna clean up because their competition could get wiped out for a while, if not definitively. I'm not 100% sure if ebikes.ca and em3ev have certifications but i think it's very likely they do.

Electrek provided NO Bill ID number? So, what's the specifics of the Bill?
Electrek has also failed to provide ANY fire data. I backtracked the links but unearthed NO data.

Congress finally agrees on electric bike bill - but not the one everyone wanted
Get ready, American-made fireproof electric bike batteries are coming
Bipartisan bill addressing lithium-ion battery fires awaits congressional action - UPI.com
https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/1797/text?s=1&r=23

In December, HR 1797, also known as the "Setting Consumer Standards for Lithium-Ion Batteries Act," was introduced in the House and referred to the Energy and Commerce Committee.

If passed, it would require the Consumer Product Safety Commission "to promulgate a consumer product safety standard with respect to rechargeable lithium-ion batteries used in micromobility devices, and for other purposes."

A companion bill in the Senate, S.1008, was introduced March 28 and referred to the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

From article:
The importance of the issue has arisen partly due to an actual increase in e-bike fires,
but also largely due to a media frenzy that has blown the issue out of proportion.
While e-bike fires do occur in the US, they represent one of the lowest risks of all forms of transportation.
Many more cyclists are killed by cars than people who are killed by e-bike batteries occasionally catching fire.

I would like to see a comparison of deaths and injuries due to e-bike battery fires versus deaths and injuries due to car fires. I know which one I would rather see restricted or banned.

Most Car fires occurr whilst in use, in open road situations. ( except EVs ?)
Ebike fires tend to occurr whilst charging, often inside a garage/house/appartment, etc.
i know which one i would rather not experience !
That's true as you have repeated it ad nauseum.

I would like to see a comparison of deaths and injuries due to e-bike battery fires versus deaths and injuries due to car fires. I know which one I would rather see restricted or banned.

According to google:

How many car fire deaths per year?
In 2021, there were 174,000 highway vehicle fires reported in the United States which caused 650 civilian deaths.
This was an increase from the previous year, when 580 civilians died from highway vehicle fires.

As of July 3, 2023, there have been 114 investigations into lithium ion fires (not limited to ebikes), 74 injuries and 13 deaths.
That's 13 deaths this year (2023) as a result of lithium batteries, compared to six in 2022 and four in 2021.

From article:
The importance of the issue has arisen partly due to an actual increase in e-bike fires,
More e-bikes sold = more idiots = more flames. duh
Next time you decide to start a thread, please make an effort to TITLE it appropriately... which includes subject identifier(s).

I know a guy that is an actuary, works with a "major brand" insurance company. I was curious and asked him what he thought about the ebike/battery issue His response "last thing that made a splash was the high output pocket bikes, and those were mainly an issue due to visibility, so area's where high usage was an issue, we added (ok, I could probably repeat exactly what he said, but I didn't understand it then, I still don't) Translation: about $.00000011 per mile in increased exposure in (where I was then living) for residents. For business' it is close to 3x that (biz that do delivery in that area)

His take past that is "If the law maintains higher visibility it will have little to no impact on insurance rates, until someone rich and or famous loses a kid in an accident, then rates will kick in to the tune of about 3% for owners (in this case still pocket bikes) and about 5-7$ for business risk assessment and that is per annum I believe.

I had discussed the whole battery thing when I was involved with a e-cig company, and got the same kind of answer. He did mention that there would be an increase in insurance rates on cars where "the median income would suggest that the drivers are using high end phones with high end risk (Samsung).

So that is my non-opinion, I live country adjacent, I can walk 2 blocks and be in a wheat field. So most things like that have little to no impact on me. I imagine it would be much different if I still had an office in Mt View.

More e-bikes sold = more idiots = more flames. duh
Next time you decide to start a thread, please make an effort to TITLE it appropriately... which includes subject identifier(s).
You're free to start your own thread, don't need to post in this one.

Congress finally agrees on electric bike bill – but not the one everyone wanted
"If passed in the House, the bill would still be far from becoming law. It would then have to pass the Senate – which is perhaps even more divided than the house. If any changes or amendments are made, the bill would have to return to the House to be passed again in its updated form. Then, if finally approved by both sides of Congress, it would head to President Biden to be signed into law."

"I think this is good news, don’t get me wrong. I’m just a little cynical. When we want to help people get more access to e-bikes, it’s only Democrats on board. When we want to put restrictions, suddenly everyone is game."

"Again, this is a good idea and we should find ways to make e-bike batteries safer. But jeez, folks. Let’s see if we can’t find a way to build on this bipartisan momentum to actually get more e-bikes out there replacing cars – the real killers."
(Micah Toll - January 20, 2024)

Even if the House & Senate agree on language (doubtful) and it's signed it into law will it prevent battery fires any more than gun laws prevent deaths?

Does China have sufficient monkey wrench clout to foil Congress' efforts ...

Most Car fires occurr whilst in use, in open road situations. ( except EVs ?)
Ebike fires tend to occurr whilst charging, often inside a garage/house/appartment, etc.
===============
"Despite continued reports of parked BMWs bursting into flames, the government watchdog for automotive safety does not have an active investigation into possible causes. Consumers have filed more than 90 complaints about the issue to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration . . .

In October 2017, Laura Ohme said she and her two sons, Max and Eli, were forced to flee their San Diego, California, home when her 2014 BMW X5 ignited while it was parked and turned off in her garage.

"The explosion blew out [the] garage door," Ohme told ABC News. "Anyone really walking down the street could have been hit."

"We're not the only family that has lost everything because of a BMW car fire," Ohme said.
=================

But that doesn't sell clicks so no one hears about it.

I think that is more like another tax scheme that a public safety concern

Back