GT i-drive 2.0 Build

alors, le mot pilot peut avoir flying avant, ou dirt... c'est ca le blague?

je n'ai rien compris!

malheuresment, axel n'a pas compris aussi!

maybe we should stick to english. i just met axel at 20th & M st and gave him a tour of the rock creek bike path. it's not really on his way, but it's good to know about...

maybe a clip or two to come later of some touring...

Thanks for the video !
I bulk charged and test on the bike just after: it shows me 83.7
and all the cells @ 4.18 with BC168
and 4.176, 4.171, 4.169, 4.178 and 4.182
so looks good, no ?

wow, crazy riding! love it. I try not to do that kind of stuff but now and then do a bit of crazy moves in trafic.

how do the car drivers respond to your cutting through the "side walk"? and weaving through lanes? i get beeped sooo much its F^#ked.. i dont know if they are good or bad beeps though..

je n'ai rien compris!

ok, let's try to explain, in french there's a big difference beetween driving and piloting, but a guy in the air his a Pilot (planes/Heli/...) (riding is more like for snowboarding, sking, DH...) I guess axel is a paragladding Pilot...with fresh air ...now, notice that he use the same helmet you can imagine plenty of stuffs...the fisrt one he just land to earth and now eat the DIRT...now he still a pilot in appearence with is helmet , and as you can consider ebike more like light MX, so DIRT bike...DIRT pilot, a
Kind of Arizona dream way...
Endless-sphere.com%20%E2%80%A2%20Post%20a%20reply%20-%20Mozilla%20Firefox_2013-02-08_12-31-30.jpg%20-%20Vi_2013-02-08_12-32-37.jpg
depends where your are...Flying or eating DIRT but with the same funny helmet...

and by the same an eye shot to full-throttle point of view
the dirtier the better.

OK, even if I'm f....d @ home with my ankle, I should maybe release the throttle on Morphine :D :D :D cause when I type f....d it turns to frocked... men in black are definitly watching you Greg :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morphine controller by a throttle, why didn't I think of that when I was on the stuff! Talk about twist and go... :lol:

Good to see our old GT from a 3rd person view. It's more stealthy than I remembered. It almost looks like an optibike in a few of those shots where you see if briefly.

GCinDC said:
maybe hyena can save us? (by providing a quick answer before making us read his long thread, or alternatively the hundreds of posts on ES that include "BC168")
Nope, read it and weep :p
Sorry I missed this before - I think my brain subconciously flicked over the posts where I saw the french :lol:

Axel, you just need to turn the current up in your charger, unless you're using a low current power supply that can't handle it. scroll through the settings using the button on the left to turn the current up to 5a (or 8a if you're parallel charging)

Axel said:
all the cells @ 4.18 with BC168
and 4.176, 4.171, 4.169, 4.178 and 4.182
so looks good, no ?
so if all the cells are 4.18 with the BC168, where did the other numbers come from? your RC checker? if so, i think the RC checker might be a little off, like the BM6s...

i trust the readings on the BC168 more.

4.18 is a bit high for the bulk charger. nothing to panic about but i'd like to get it down to 4.15 x 20 = 83V, to preserve the life of the cells...

Hyena said:
Good to see our old GT from a 3rd person view. It's more stealthy than I remembered.
i agree, it looks awesome! thoe forks on it really stand out too.

pendragon8000 said:
how do the car drivers respond to your cutting through the "side walk"? and weaving through lanes?
they love me. they wave and cheer me on.... :lol:

just kidding. they usually don't see me for long, unlike bikes that seem to panic around.

thanks for reminding me that there are people inside the cars. i sometimes forget. :twisted:

dan974 said:
DIRT pilot
maybe a nice segue off the topic will be a video of these true dirt pilots!:
[youtube]k_W1BdSlM68[/youtube]

oooh, page 200 coming up! woohoo! :p

axel came by yesterday and showed me some of his work gear: :twisted:
20130212_172302.jpg

and i didn't even take a picture of the paraglider motor in the trunk! :shock:

axel has a new flying gopro mount too. are you going to show it, axel? have you tested it?? where will you attach the string??

Mad props bro :p
You're going to beat me to the multicopter ebike footage at this rate :(

The fact that I sold mine certainly doesn't help my progress! I went to a local RC field the other day and a few older blokes were flying planes around. I asked one of them if any of them did any aerial photography and he grumbled "some of the younger guys do ...and dont start your bike up, it'll interfere with my radio" (he thought it was a dirt bike) I tried to explain it was electric and was powered by the same batteries many would use in their planes (his was gas powered) but then he stalled it and it crashed hard into the trees from high up so he was in even less of a talking mood then :p

You're going to beat me to the multicopter ebike footage at this rate
don't worry ! I am not the best pilot at all !
it crashed hard into the trees from high up so he was in even less of a talking mood then
I did the same, and sure that I will re-do it !
but when it is working it is nice !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmdSpD7QMrg
About my flying GoPro
flyinggoprp.JPG
it works well with a paramotor because it is more stable than the bike
I did a test this morning, and it is shacking too much ! Bad idea !
But I would like to use a GOPRO on the helmet not with a 360° rotation but around 45°
What do you used for the rotation Hyena ?

PS: how do you add a video from youtube?

I did the same, and sure that I will re-do it !
but when it is working it is nice !
the good link was this one :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnB7bZNIUgE

Nice smooth footage - well done.

Would love to see a picture of the setup in action.

Kudos

Axel said:
About my flying GoPro

Interesting! I'm not sure how it works though - do you essentially tow it behind you on a string, so sort of like a kite ? What keeps it in the air though and not dangling below. It doesn't look like you're going THAT fast... Does the modded bottle act like some sort of airfoil to give it lift ?
Or is it dangling from the chute above ?

What do you used for the rotation Hyena ?
I've had a few people ask so just updated my blog with a post on exactly how I made it and how it works.

http://www.hyena-industries.com/2013/02/the-spew-camtm.html

I don't know how to get from page 1 to page 120... I look at each end and can't see how one relates to the other :lol:

deepfraught said:
I don't know how to get from page 1 to page 120... I look at each end and can't see how one relates to the other :lol:

First time I have looked at this huge thread too. The highlights for me were page one where I looked at the battery and wondered how long till it went wrong, then page two where the inevitable happened. Then your post here, where I back up a few pages to see more and more people trying to use RC chargers and showing how they are also melting everything. People that have seen it all before so should know better(and that is them talking not me). What you should take away from this thread seems quite clear. There is RC charging gear, and there is EV charging gear. If you choose to mix the two hobbies then you introduce an inordinate amount of work which is likely to burn.

I looked at the drop-out and saw it is within a hollow. I would get a plate welded in to that hollow to thicken the drop-out. This plate could extend out of the hollow a short way, so it can be drilled to take a screw that holds a steel anti-torque plate. I think I am years too late though.

I have been looking at the i-drive too, but it was quite different. A normal triangle with the spring in the bottom, leaving 105mm between it and the top bar.

deepfraught said:
i recommend clicking the page numbers to get through them. maybe then you'll understand... :wink:

friendly1uk said:
The highlights for me were page one...
The highlights for me were:
[youtube]nZrEwwvs_34[/youtube]

[youtube]-2vtrHlAHMg[/youtube]

friendly1uk said:
What you should take away from this thread seems quite clear. There is RC charging gear, and there is EV charging gear.
and you would recommend what EV charging gear for a 20s or 24s lipo pack? i see from your sig that you probably won't recommend a bms battery charger? "bmsbattery sent me broken and incorrect stuff, and won't even talk to me about it."

friendly1uk said:
I looked at the drop-out and saw it is within a hollow. I would get a plate welded in to that hollow to thicken the drop-out.
welded to an aluminum frame? hmm, anyway, it is a bit late, but that dropout was a pain! when considering donor bikes, the dropout is one of the most important things to look at. but heck, if i saw that bike with those forks for sale at $350, i'd probably buy it again! :lol: many of you could have done much better torque arms, but i did what i could... and enjoyed the journey. i learned much more than if i'd bought a prodeco (which i probably would have done if they'd been on sale at the time)!

Oddly the gt i-drive I'm looking at has better drop-outs to work with. It is in fact a different bike. They are the first thing I check too

Good highlights, that saved me a lot of looking. You do some drops there that I found quite surprising for a hub motor, I don't drop mine off a curb lol

I would put any bmsb offering before what the RC community are using. RC stuff is just wrong. There is no crossover between them, they are different systems with different goals. You should look towards bestekpower though for 24s. You will still need a bulk charger, but you won't be using it alone, which would be dangerous

You could use a pair of the $25 smart units, if you don't mind two chargers. Two chargers is a bit messy, it is two plugs not one, but still a lot tidier than rc stuff. I like the smarts as they can cut off the charger if it does somehow turn up the voltage, and they do. They also won't charge a cell under your chosen threshold. So if your lipo gets old and a single cell is hitting lvc way before other cells, the bms will not keep using it. The rc stuff I have seen will try and charge a cell that is at zero volts and that can light them up. They are just not that smart. At your power levels you might want to upgrade the fets, and crossbreak will do that for you if electronics is not your thing. He can also set all the thresholds to whatever you like. I realise two chargers is not ideal, but it is not dangerous either and owning two is useful if one fails. I really would consider this unusual approach, but wouldn't generally advise other people too. Thus, I sure as hell wouldn't advise RC stuff. Messy is bad, but dangerous is something else. Am an electrical professional, which means I can advise on how to do it properly, but if I say to use rc stuff it is not death by misadventure, It is manslaughter. Because I do know better.

GCinDC said:
deepfraught said:
i recommend clicking the page numbers to get through them. maybe then you'll understand... :wink:

friendly1uk said:
The highlights for me were page one...
The highlights for me were:
[youtube]nZrEwwvs_34[/youtube]

[youtube]-2vtrHlAHMg[/youtube]

friendly1uk said:
What you should take away from this thread seems quite clear. There is RC charging gear, and there is EV charging gear.
and you would recommend what EV charging gear for a 20s or 24s lipo pack? i see from your sig that you probably won't recommend a bms battery charger? "bmsbattery sent me broken and incorrect stuff, and won't even talk to me about it."

friendly1uk said:
I looked at the drop-out and saw it is within a hollow. I would get a plate welded in to that hollow to thicken the drop-out.
welded to an aluminum frame? hmm, anyway, it is a bit late, but that dropout was a pain! when considering donor bikes, the dropout is one of the most important things to look at. but heck, if i saw that bike with those forks for sale at $350, i'd probably buy it again! :lol: many of you could have done much better torque arms, but i did what i could... and enjoyed the journey. i learned much more than if i'd bought a prodeco (which i probably would have done if they'd been on sale at the time)!

Excellent editing. Your vids were fun to watch.

friendly1uk said:
Oddly the gt i-drive I'm looking at has better drop-outs to work with. It is in fact a different bike. They are the first thing I check too

Good highlights, that saved me a lot of looking. You do some drops there that I found quite surprising for a hub motor, I don't drop mine off a curb lol

I would put any bmsb offering before what the RC community are using. RC stuff is just wrong. There is no crossover between them, they are different systems with different goals. You should look towards bestekpower though for 24s. You will still need a bulk charger, but you won't be using it alone, which would be dangerous

You could use a pair of the $25 smart units, if you don't mind two chargers. Two chargers is a bit messy, it is two plugs not one, but still a lot tidier than rc stuff. I like the smarts as they can cut off the charger if it does somehow turn up the voltage, and they do. They also won't charge a cell under your chosen threshold. So if your lipo gets old and a single cell is hitting lvc way before other cells, the bms will not keep using it. The rc stuff I have seen will try and charge a cell that is at zero volts and that can light them up. They are just not that smart. At your power levels you might want to upgrade the fets, and crossbreak will do that for you if electronics is not your thing. He can also set all the thresholds to whatever you like. I realise two chargers is not ideal, but it is not dangerous either and owning two is useful if one fails. I really would consider this unusual approach, but wouldn't generally advise other people too. Thus, I sure as hell wouldn't advise RC stuff. Messy is bad, but dangerous is something else. Am an electrical professional, which means I can advise on how to do it properly, but if I say to use rc stuff it is not death by misadventure, It is manslaughter. Because I do know better.

do not buy a BMS from BMS battery and especially the cheap 'smart' BMS that you have to program in order to use. i do think the EMC-1000 charger they offer is the best deal for a charger, except they ship it air freight so shipping costs a fortune.

greg uses the BMS built into andrei's i-drive controller and it works very well from the numbers i have seen greg post up while charging.

also i see no reason to go to 24S lipo since the 20S lipo seems to provide enuff speed and less risk of burning the mosfets imo.

GCinDC said:
Rix said:
Excellent editing. Your vids were fun to watch.
thanks, rix. but tell me honestly, if you saw me riding like that in Fallon, NV, you'd arrest me, right? :mrgreen:

No, I would stop you and tell you where the traps are and offer advice and route options to avoid them. Maybe admire your build and talk some shop :lol: . If I arrested someone for riding an ebike like that, I would have to arrest myself then :shock: . Even though some of cops I respect the most are Troopers, they are a different animal when it comes to traffic related enforcement.

GCinDC said:
haha. most police here are pretty curious about my ride, and pretty cool too, with the exception of bike cops! how ironic!

and the secret service, particulary outside the 'residence' but i understand that...

I have worked with the secret service as well, I was an explosive dog handler, Lion F384 was my military working dog in the Navy before I got out and became a cop. I have been on AirForce 1, only when it landed in Baghram back in FEB/MAR 2005 when FLOTUS, or First Lady Of The United States, flew into Afghanistan for some special I don't know what even in Kabul. I don't know the exact day or month because when I was deployed, everyday seemed the same, yah I could remember how many days on the ground I was into my deployment, but not the day of the week or month. The good old days :? :?: :? :?: .

Back