Hearing protection while riding

markz said:
I need to buy some clear shades that blocks out the wind, my eyes get watery while riding.

I've been using Uvex Flex-seal safety goggles all winter, available at most industrial safety supplies, dirt cheap and very comfy, easy to get on and off, I have some MX goggles too but the Uvex's are more comfortable for everyday use.

MadRhino said:
With the winter lining, I have no wind noise, and my hearing of the environment is almost the same. In the summer, I don’t feel the need, and I don’t wear a helmet most of the time. So, I have no problem, despite what you seem to think.
uhh...
MadRhino said:
...I don’t wear a helmet most of the time. So, I have no problem...

ok. :lol:

Raisedeyebrows said:
markz said:
I need to buy some clear shades that blocks out the wind, my eyes get watery while riding.

I've been using Uvex Flex-seal safety goggles all winter, available at most industrial safety supplies, dirt cheap and very comfy, easy to get on and off, I have some MX goggles too but the Uvex's are more comfortable for everyday use.

Yeah goggles are good for winter when its real cold out, havent done that yet as I didnt have any, but I did buy some cheaps ones. Its real dry here so my eyes water a lot, plus I got a large head so its hard for me to find proper fitting glasses

Never wore helmets much myself,... except when required by law on motorcycles here and there, or when tied into a roll cage occasionally. Of course my eyewear was usually above and beyond minimal, can't see well with watery eyes from wind and bugs!

THIS is my headgear today,...
Headgear.JPG
...the derby is my everyday "safety helmet" for workin' about indoors and out. Sturdy enough to keep the many bumps at bay, from under car-hoods and other jobs. Both hats sit tight and work well on my bike, keepin' bugs debris, and the sun from the dome,... but neither does much for wind control. The goggles had the dark lens removed with only the clear safety lens left in. Keeps wind, bugs, dust and debris outa my eyes, although I loose a little peripheral vision.

I have a new one arriving soon,...
Headgear2.JPG
Should be warmer in cool weather, and provide some wind relief when needed or wanted. I can't hear ANYTHING on one side, and have poor hearing on the other,.... but surprisingly, there's more to wind noise than what you hear!

Has anyone else tried the Cat-Ears Classic Cycling Wind Noise Reducer?
https://www.cat-ears.com/product-page/classic-faux-fur-our-original-wind-noise-reduction-product
0f13a6_04eeb08e17a94837b6c765174455df30~mv2.jpg

Where traffic/terrain permit, I like to cruise at 20-24 mph. Last few months I have come to be more and more annoyed by the wind noise. Can't be healthy long-term for hearing.

The theory is that this product creates a fluffy baffle directly in front of the ear which disrupts the airflow as it deflects it around and over the ear, similar to the way a microphone windscreen works. Professional sound crews use "deadcats" on windy locations.
Thoams-Gulyas-1_789_444_70_s.jpg

Added bonus is that it should allow important sounds (approaching cars, barking dogs, etc.) to be more easily heard since the ear wouldn't have to struggle to perceive them over the roar of the whistling wind.

99t4 said:
https://www.cat-ears.com/product-page/classic-faux-fur-our-original-wind-noise-reduction-product

Seems like they would be very easy to make and see if they work.

Made from approximately 1/2 inch pile faux fur material

Any fabric store should have scraps of faux fur for pennies.

If you are going 25-40mph, you should wear a full face helmet IMO. I just use a cheap one off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRY4RQ3

Consider landing on your chin at 40mph with a half helmet. You won't have a chin after that.

No problem with wind either. If you want to splurge, new MIPS technology reduces brain injury.

lnanek said:
If you are going 25-40mph, you should wear a full face helmet IMO. I just use a cheap one off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRY4RQ3

Consider landing on your chin at 40mph with a half helmet. You won't have a chin after that.

No problem with wind either. If you want to splurge, new MIPS technology reduces brain injury.

None of the company's helmets are ECE-certified.

99t4 said:
0f13a6_04eeb08e17a94837b6c765174455df30~mv2.jpg

Where traffic/terrain permit, I like to cruise at 20-24 mph. Last few months I have come to be more and more annoyed by the wind noise. Can't be healthy long-term for hearing.

The theory is that this product creates a fluffy baffle directly in front of the ear which disrupts the airflow as it deflects it around and over the ear, similar to the way a microphone windscreen works. Professional sound crews use "deadcats" on windy locations.
Thoams-Gulyas-1_789_444_70_s.jpg

Added bonus is that it should allow important sounds (approaching cars, barking dogs, etc.) to be more easily heard since the ear wouldn't have to struggle to perceive them over the roar of the whistling wind.

I made some and they work well. I was having trouble hearing music with my earbuds so I used some 1" nylon webbing (a scrap piece of a strap), cut it to size, and hot glued it to the helmet straps. I can slightly adjust the angle while riding, to cut out around 80% of wind noise. I think if I make any mods in the future, it would be to use 1 1/4" webbing

I've used "Cat Ears" for years. They work relatively well. You can still hear everything and they cut the wind roar by ~50% or so.

E-HP said:
I made some and they work well. I was having trouble hearing music with my earbuds so I used some 1" nylon webbing (a scrap piece of a strap), cut it to size, and hot glued it to the helmet straps. I can slightly adjust the angle while riding, to cut out around 80% of wind noise. I think if I make any mods in the future, it would be to use 1 1/4" webbing
Interesting. Do you have any photos?

Diggs said:
I've used "Cat Ears" for years. They work relatively well. You can still hear everything and they cut the wind roar by ~50% or so.

They work great with my $6000 hearing aids

99t4 said:
E-HP said:
Interesting. Do you have any photos?

Here you go. 1' webbing cut to length, then hot glued to the existing helmet strap. Melt the edges with a lighter to keep them from fraying. I can slightly shift the angle and eliminate most of the wind noise, and still hear my music or the stuff around me.
cat ears.jpg
cat ears 2.jpg

E-HP is said:
Here you go. 1' webbing cut to length, then hot glued to the existing helmet strap. Melt the edges with a lighter to keep them from fraying. I can slightly shift the angle and eliminate most of the wind noise, and still hear my music or the stuff around me.
Brilliant!

Made my own, based on the Cat Ears product. Excellent Results! :bigthumb:

Daughter has a faux-fur hat she does not like to wear anymore, so I cut out some strips, borrowed her sewing machine to sew in some hook'n'loop velcro fastener and attached to helmet straps.

P1040467.JPG
P1040468.JPG
P1040469.JPG

Aside from the Elvis/Snoopy look, the results are absolutely spectacular!

Easily one of the biggest improvements in ride comfort and quality! Right up there with bigger/better tires, suspension, etc.
Promotes a sense of calm, much better than the snarling whistling buffeting wind noises I had been putting up with since riding at 19-24 MPH speeds a few years ago.

Additionally, with the onset of colder weather, they seem to be keeping my ears marginally warmer.

Thanks to forum members Comrade and E-HP who suggested the DIY route.

Highly Recommended! :thumb:

Good to hear! I need to do this next, along with an experiment I keep forgetting to try. I bought a bag of winds screens for lavalier microphones. Figured I could use the open cell foam as earplugs to some degree.

99t4 said:
Daughter has a faux-fur hat she does not like to wear anymore, so I cut out some strips, borrowed her sewing machine to sew in some hook'n'loop velcro fastener and attached to helmet straps.

Ah, Velcro! Brilliant. I'm definitely going that route for my next version. And it seems like Velcro will also be good for experimenting with angles and making other fine tuning adjustments.

Back