Heavy Duty wheels for fast e-bikes

hawaiioutdoors

100 µW
With e-bikes going faster and faster, I did not feel that regular peddle bike tires or rims could hold up to the rigors of use...a blow-out going at top speed could spell disaster. I had the wheelmaster ( http://thewheelmaster.com/ ) build me up a custom wheel... I took an excel dirtbike front rim. size 21x1.6 (pretty much the same size as a 26 bicycle rim) and had it laced to a heavy duty DownHill bicycle hub. He used 8 gauge stainless spokes, and also offset the hub to accomidate the belt-sprocket as well as the 9 speed shimano cassett. This will let me use DOT rated tires that are ment to go at high speeds . I think the limiting factor for this would be the width of the forks on your bike. I have a 2004 Yeti DH-9. This bike came with a marzocchi front fork and a very wide rear lawill swingarm. The tire I purchased to for this is a 2.75 wide Michelin Trial tires....Not trail tires...
I sent the wheelmaster my excel rim and edco hub, It cost me $190. for spokes, nipples, and labor.
I have not received the wheel yet, but I am excited. If it all works out, I will have another made using a Chris King Heavy Duty rear hub.

Why am I going thru all this trouble...Well, for several reasons.I took up riding a bicycle so I could get excersize, but steep hills kill me, causing me to shorten many enjoyable rides. I then had my wife drop me off way up the mountain, and I would gravity ride down the back roads, gravel trails ect. But reconfiguring the SUV to fit my bike as well as hold the little kids was a pain.. Now with a motor, I can go farther, without bothering my wife.. The heavyduty wheels and tires are for safety and hopefully will keep me from getting flats' and if I do, have stiff enough sidewalls for me to make it home for repairs.

I am sure with all the different size dirtbike rims available there are lots to choose from even fore recumbents.. just remember that the way bicycle wheels are measured is not the way motorcycle or dirtbike wheels are measured

When the wheel comes in I will take pics of it and post it. :wink:
VIK

sounds like a great project. i assume you are running disc brakes on the involved wheel?

Back