Help me diagnose the magic smoke: Motor and/or ESC?

kkEdlund

1 W
I was riding my e-longboard this evening, and the motor brakes started making a funny noise. I pulled over, disconnected/reconnected the power, and the ESC made its' happy arming sound. I tried to throttle up gently, and the motor made loud banging noises and didn't spin (I can only describe it as "cogging from hell"). I tried the throttle, and was greeted by the same noise and a puff of smoke from the motor.

Admitting defeat, I picked the board up and carried it home. On the workbench I powered it up again and got more banging, but no more smoke. On a whim, I switched out the ESC and now the motor spins up fine. It makes the same clean electrical whine I'm used to, and sounds like it is spinning just as fast as before. Switching back to the old ESC, and more banging and lack of rotation.

I assume I blew up the ESC, because the motor runs well with a different one. However, I SAW a cloud of thick smoke come out of the motor, but cannot see any visible burn damage inside it. I have the motor and old ESC apart now if pics would be helpful, but how can my motor smoke like that and not have any visible burn marks inside? Also, why would the ESC behave in this manner and yet appear undamaged?

I was using a Turnigy SK3 6354 260kV and the 120A Turnigy Marine ESC. I have ~20 miles on this combo, so I know it WAS good for awhile. That included long uphill pulls, and other comparatively extreme riding. Tonight I got maybe 3 minutes before all hell broke loose. Ideas?

EDIT: Would placing a strong neodymium magnet in close proximity to the ESC have caused problems? I rode for miles with the magnet on board (holding the lid on the electronics enclosure) without problems, but it is the only cause I can think of...

Back