Help needed by someone familiar with the CAv.2.3 PCB

brumbrum

100 kW
I just opened up my CAv 2.3DP to find the throttle output wire soldered into the wrong place. I bought it new from Grin/ebikes.ca a few years ago. The green wire should go to 'Thd' on the pad but its soldered to 'ThO'. I Think i remember there being a recall on the 2.3 due to possible run away throttle and was wondering if this was the reason.

Anyway, the reason for posting this....

I want to wire up 'current' throttle by using the CA potentiometer, for example, wiring the bikes throttle signal wire to the POT and then having the green CA wire on the ThO(already done, as stated above) and then out to the controller.

Can someone check this photo and tell me whether the +5v and the POT are meant to stay bridged like this when i add the bike throttle signal wire to it?

Nope - that solder bridge should be removed.

As an alternative to the wiring shown in the manual, you can hook your three throttle wires to the three (+5)(POT)(G) pads on the PCB that appear in the printed POT square. This will power your throttle from the CA instead of the controller and cut down on the number of external wire runs.

Your board is essentially a stripped down V3 PCB with less memory, etc. On the V3, there are short cables with outboard connectors on the Throttle, POT, Thermister, etc pad sets. You may wish to duplicate that stubby cable setup for your 2.3 POT. This will make it easier for you to connect or swap your throttle.

Also - if you have a controller made after about mid-2013, the CA connector should be 'Large Screen Compatible'. This means that out-of-box V2s and V3s are both plug and play. Interestingly, once you make this 'current throttle' change to a V2, its interface looks like a V3, so your CA will still be plug and play with the controller - no extra wire runs or controller mods required.

teklektik said:
Nope - that solder bridge should be removed.

As an alternative to the wiring shown in the manual, you can hook your three throttle wires to the three (+5)(POT)(G) pads on the PCB that appear in the printed POT square. This will power your throttle from the CA instead of the controller and cut down on the number of external wire runs.

Your board is essentially a stripped down V3 PCB with less memory, etc. On the V3, there are short cables with outboard connectors on the Throttle, POT, Thermister, etc pad sets. You may wish to duplicate that stubby cable setup for your 2.3 POT. This will make it easier for you to connect or swap your throttle.

Fantastic, i could not have hoped for a better person to reply to my thread, as it was from a post written by you from about two years ago that i got the idea of doing the current throttle.

So all in,
1. i leave the CA green wire on the ThO pad as it is (and put the other end of this wire straight to the controller throttle wire).
2. Unbridge the +5v and POT ?
3. Solder on the three bike throttle wires
4. Change the CA AuxVoltage input to 'current'

Can you confirm?

Some cross-posting going on. Please review an edit I made above.

brumbrum said:
So all in,

1a. i leave the CA green wire on the ThO pad as it is....
Yes

1b. ...(and put the other end of this wire straight to the controller throttle wire).
Yes - or if your controller is 'large screen compatible' (V3-compatible) don't modify anything - just plug in the CA.

2. Unbridge the +5v and POT ?
yes

3. Solder on the three bike throttle wires
yes - solder to the CA POT PCB pads

4. Change the CA AuxVoltage input to 'current'
yep. There are other adjustments as well, but I would need to hit the manual to refresh my memory (I'm lost in V3-land these days). As I recollect, Aux Threshold should work with the default but can be tweaked downward a small bit to tune out the ZERO throttle dead zone. Don't go too far or the motor will creep - this sets the voltage that the CA starts 'seeing' the throttle. There are gain and a couple of other settings that will affect operation as well.

So - short form: These days with the new CA-DP interface, you can make a V2 have V3-style Current Throttle by moving the green wire to ThO on the CA PCB and attaching the throttle to the three CA PCB POT pads instead of the controller. Done.

That is brilliant! :) A big thank you to you sir!

The reason i am doing this...

I can not use any limiting options when my CA is plugged in to my lyen controller as i have to pull out the green override ca wire to get any throttle response. So i am hoping that by running with the 'current' throttle all will be mended... Yes?

Also, my CA is a large screen version, does this make it the large screen compatible version, or is is something else?

brumbrum said:
I can not use any limiting options when my CA is plugged in to my lyen controller as i have to pull out the green override ca wire to get any throttle response. So i am hoping that by running with the 'current' throttle all will be mended... Yes?

Frankly, you should have contacted ebikes.ca to get this sorted.

I suspect the reason your Lyen did not work properly is because it has the later 'Large Screen Compatible' interface (works with either V2 or V3) and your CA had the green throttle override wire on ThO instead of Thd. This gave the CA a 'V3 style' interface but the throttle was still hooked to the controller (wrong for V3). If you correct that Thd/ThO error, the CA should limit properly since it will look like a proper V2.

Alternatively, you can do as above and get the Current Throttle capability which makes it appear as V3 with the throttle hooked to the CA as a V3 expects.

Short form - with the earlier wiring error the CA was trying to 'control' the throttle like a V3 instead of 'limit' the throttle like a V2. Since your throttle was still on the controller, the real throttle and CA were fighting each other. So - the ThO/Thd thing has to match where the throttle is plugged: CA or controller respectively.

brumbrum said:
Also, my CA is a large screen version, does this make it the large screen compatible version, or is is something else?
No.

'Large Screen Compatible' is a controller qualification.
Also mistakenly known as 'V3-compatible'.
It really means what it says: the controller will work plug and play with EITHER a large screen V2 or a V3. The earlier small screen V2s don't work.

Justin changed the CA-DP interface a couple of times, this last iteration being the most flexible.

I really appreciate you giving me your time. I will proceed and set up the current throttle.

I have a cromotor which has the two temp sensor wires. They are ntc compatible, can these be wired to my ca on the thermister pads to get a reading, or is this out of the capability of my ca?

Nope - the V2 doesn't support the thermistor input.
Frankly, the extra $30 to get a V3 over a V2 is the best ebike money you can spend, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

teklektik said:
Nope - the V2 doesn't support the thermistor input.
Frankly, the extra $30 to get a V3 over a V2 is the best ebike money you can spend, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

Yes it is. But i bought this ca over two years ago before the ca3 was released properly.

Thanks again, for your help.

Back