• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hightekbikes Releases New High-Power Motor

HTB_Terry

100 W
We have just released our new high-power motor from Aotema. Designed to compete with the Crystalyte 5000 series, it offers similar performance with less weight. More information including pricing is in the For Sale section.

The first two people who are willing to test a motor kit and write a review will receive a $100 discount. PM or email for details.

For more information, check out the website or contact me by email.

http://www.hightekbikes.com
sales@hightekbikes.com

I would recommend Docbrass or GCinDC. 2 of these folks typically reckless with lot abuse!! :twisted:

I would love buy one but no $$$ permit for now.

I would like to take you up on the offer.

I have several bikes, batteries and various other things to compare.

1) Aotema - the prior version, in a 26 inch front
2) E-bike kit - 20" and 26"
3) DD BMC motor in rear kit 26"
4) Panasonic, but it is really a different category.. mid=drive but only 24 v.. but

I also have a variety of controllers but they do not fit that sensorless motors. If you have a higher voltage controller, please let me know or let me know where I can purchase one.

I have several different battery packs with various voltages.

Do you have these motors/controllers with anderson connectors or can you send me some extra power connectors so that I can make my own adaptors and also put these on cycle analyst?

How do I get the $100 off?

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest. I forgot to mention this is a sensored motor, but will run either way. The supplied controller uses the sensors. A high powered, programmable controller is available from us and is sourced from Lyen, well known on this board. We put on the right connectors and program the controller.

How are you fixed for batteries? It really needs to be tested at a minimum of 48V where it really comes alive. I would prefer all thress voltages, 36V, 48V, and 72V. Just send me a private message on here (PM), or email me directly: sales@hightekbikes.com

After determining any options, I will send a paypal invoice to you when you are ready.

-Terry

OOOO, sweet! Of course, this comes just when I went on vacation and spent a thou, and then came home and spent another $600 at Hobby King. :lol:

What are the options? front hub? rear hub? Disk mounts? Ok now I see the link to the page. Nice! Looks like a good fast motor for those who want to race.

my son saw this and you know he wants one so bad for next springs death race but...
even at 36v and just under 20 mph (once you go to 48 you cant hardly go back)
would this kit be considered street legal here in iowa
ie 1000w input (75% eff) 750w output?
if pressed by the court system would i have a leg to stand on if we where to get stopped and ticketed
by the local cops
i would at least think i would have to order this kit with the stock 36v controller
just so i had an invoice showing that i had purchased what i believed was a street legal kit?
could the stock control be ran at 48v like the mini-might kits?
maybe get the 72v control on a differant invoice just for racing off road of course...
btw which model lyens control the 12x4110 fets?
if it is, is it still programable with the adapter from lyen?
btw terry i would call you to complain about the rear mini-might i bought from you but its been close to perfect
thanks for selling a quaility product
ok one thing the thumb throttle has gotten alittle sticky
close to 2000 trouble free miles :D

In iowa you could put on headlights and a tail light and go in under moped laws. 30mph, no cc restrictions anymore.

hmmm
would that also require a lie., registration and insurance then?
all of these things add into the cost of riding my ebike
maybe i should check into how much it would cost to get insurance for my ebike
i put my cars tags into storage earlier this year and canceled my car insurance
saved almost the total cost of my ebike setup over the last 6 months or so
hey its iowa and winter is coming reinsured my car and updated my tags recently
looking forward to next year as my daily e-commuter bike has paid for itself and i can hopefully
ride daily to work almost for free (in the fair weather months) for years
maybe i should just buy a heavy parka and some studded tires
and forget driving a car entirely

Looks like it may indeed need a title in Iowa. I wasn't aware of that. Got a moped frame with a vin number? :lol:

lol

my bike is over 20 years old my sons is from the early 70s

did they even have vin numbers back then?

i remember going to the fire station to get my bike registered as a kid

damm i must be getting old

johnrobholmes said:
In iowa you could put on headlights and a tail light and go in under moped laws. 30mph, no cc restrictions anymore.

I think you need an MSO that states its top speed is less than 30 MPH. No restrictions on power or size though!

Photos of the maxi-might with the cover off are below. Note that the overall design of the stator is similar to the smaller Aotema. The coils are wound the same way. The stator is very light which is good, the smaller mass will have some limit to heat dissipation. The outer steel band is pretty massive. It can absorb some heat from the coils and radiate it out of the case. The steel re-enforces the magnetic field. The side covers are thin aluminum.

The number of strands on the coils is seven, same as the other Aotema and the wire is 23 gauge. There are 46 magnets, I believe that means there are 46 poles. The power wires to the motor are the same as the smaller Aotema, 14 ga. The case is about 9.5" in diameter and 2.75" wide.

Hummm I have started a Hi speed project. 50mph is the goal
Lyen controller 18fet is on order.
How will this handle the very hi voltage needed compared to the 5303/5304?
If I order 1 and kill it do i get a replacment?

Ill be giving one a go! When will we see a hub motor with ventilated covers or SOMEKIND of cooling thought put into it from the factory?

Is that rotor and mags the same width as stock? I thought what looked like extra width would mean more pole and magnet surface. Maybe just bigger spacers. Well, the extra air room, maybe help in the cooling department. Seems like a waste of some precious space!

Ill tell you right now that plastic yellow insulator piece on the stator coils is going to melt at high wattage which in the long run could lead to the winding shorting on the sharp edges of the stator. Look at a picture of my old GM stator below. Some places you dont even see it on the teeth of the stator. It will melt and begin smoking under high power like I was running. I even had air cooling mod installed.

You say that there is 7 strands and 7 turns. Which means 49 strands of wire around the stator teeth The copper fill on this motor is quite low compared to other motors like 9C which have 9x6 or 10x6. Less strands make it less capeable of coping with wattage. with 23 AWG wire makes the fill worse. The winding job looks kinda sloppy. Like its not pulled tight.

* Im not sure on the turn count. If its higher that 7 excuse my comment above. Im assuming since winding AWG size is smaller there should be more than 7 turns. More like 8 or 9 if so that would be SWEET!

Ya know, that extra space in the can could be slotted via mill to create a perfect outlet for heated air like a blower fan. Put a few hole in the covers for inlets, you have a nice built in blower motor!
maximight3_md1slottedforheat.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks it looks worse than a 9c in every attribute that matters?

What attributes "matter"? It has a wider space between spoke flanges, the wires don't exit the axle, and the slightly smaller diameter may actually allow for a wheel build that doesn't break spokes constantly. Looking good to me so far.

So you run a 9c luke?

I was positioning this motor as a competitor to the Crystalyte 5000 series but it's starting to look more like a hybrid between the 9C and the Crystalyte. Lighter than the 5000 but higher power than the 9C. I don't know what the limits are yet, but we will all know after it is tested by several users on this board. All of the testers will report everything, the good and the bad, and I would not have it any other way. You can do calculations and run simulations but I think motor design is 80% design, 10% art, and 10% black magic. You won't know how it performs until it is tested. This won't win any art contests, but given the motor is based on a previously successful design, I expect it to perform well and be a good value. Even if it will only take 80% of the power a Crystalyte will, if it is very efficient, and can run at less current, that would mean a major savings in battery cost. Also less weight to lug around (18lbs 10oz). If any shortcomings are discovered, they will be addressed in the future.

All purchases made in the next 30 days are 100% warranted at ALL power levels. If you burn up this motor, it will be replaced for free, no questions asked other than how you did it!

HTB_Terry said:
The number of strands on the coils is seven, same as the other Aotema and the wire is 23 gauge. There are 46 magnets, I believe that means there are 46 poles. The power wires to the motor are the same as the smaller Aotema, 14 ga. The case is about 9.5" in diameter and 2.75" wide.

HTB_Terry, can you clarify the wire windings, i just dont see the 7 strand x23g ? ....is it 7x7 or something else ?
and even as a non motor man, i have to say that winding quality is terrible !..if that is any indication as to the other areas of construction ( terminations, soldering, insulation etc etc , then i have serious reservations.
JMHO !

U'know... he has a point.. the windings look crappy... it doesn't mean that it won't perform.

Question, have you tested these yourself at all? I don't mean a thorough test but just putting it on
a bike and doing some rough numbers like max speed and current usage from cycle-analyst..

Just some basic guidelines.

David

liveforphysics said:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks worse than a 9c in every attribute that matters?

+1 . The magnets look thicker probably due to weaker strength, the copper fill is pretty low, and that's by far the ugliest winding job I've ever seen. That's pretty bad considering I don't view the 9C as any kind of big winner, due to the absolute crap bearings and very out of balance covers on the one I got, not to mention the less than stellar windings on the 9C. 9C's are popular, but are far from being a great motor. Maybe I'll change my tune if mine holds up at the 8kw I plan to run through it since I removed many grams of material to balance the covers, as well as install some quality bearings.

For good measure, how many lamination layers are there per cm?

John

Most companies don't show you the internal parts of the motors, otherwise you would know that they are all hand wound. As far as I know the neatness of the windings makes no difference whatsoever. So even though they might not look pretty, they work just fine.

I forgot what the terminology means for the windings, like 9x7 and so forth. I will review that material and maybe someone can explain that. All I mentioned was that there are 7 strands of wire together. I believe this characteristic relates to the 400 series of Crystalyte nomenclature, so this would be like a 407. I personally don't care how many windings there are or how pretty they look, I am interested in performance and reliability.

As far as testing, I have run the motor on a bike using 36V and 48V. At 36V it went about 19mph (26" wheels) and at 48V it was about 24mph. Both with the supplied 25A controller. I did not get a chance to test on any hills, we don't have any here so I have to go to San Francisco. It ran fine at 36V, similar to most production ebikes, but at 48V it really came alive with good acceleration and was really fun to ride. This is a perfect motor for 48V and I plan to test this configuration on some hills. I will definitely put a package together with a 48V 15ah pack.

So I have done minimal testing so far, but enough to know this is a hot motor. I will continue testing but also want independent testing done. I'm actually afraid to go faster than 25mph, so I will have to rely on others for that.

Back