How to build an Electrified Disc (Frisbee) Golf Cart

Hello ES!

I'm a big disc golfer. Come on, some of you have seen the metal baskets in parks around your town right? In my neck of the woods there is never a shortage of middle-aged men just itching to get outside and throw. Busting on your friends (see 4:57 for an example of a baby stroller not working out) is icing on the cake!

The sport has been exploding for some time now. Alas we have been overtaken (in growth rate) by pickleball but oh well.

The player carries his discs in a tote bag (beginner), shoulder harness flat bag, a specially designed and built backpack (most popular now-a-days), AND...

A DISC GOLF CART!

As a disc golfer (treasurer for my local club) AND an eBike guy/new eBike business owner, I've been tasked with electrifying a Zuca cart from our local club pro.

Currently carts are an axle with wheels on the end. No gears, no freewheel, just a threaded axle end to screw a bolt into.

First is the design spec:
-Walking speed/rpm. Walking up and down hills and grass with roots and mud and snakes (see 1:06 in video above).
-Low (ish) power, I don't need a TON of umph. The cart weighs ~15 lbs but we add discs, water, alternative beverages, etc. Perhaps 40 lbs fully loaded.
-Freewheeling ability. The cart can be pulled without motor drag. My local pro also wants regen braking for hills but that seems like even more complexity.
-Throttle at the handle. Perhaps a 3 position power switch for various terrain and/or different walking pace. I'm thinking a half twist would work.

How to do this? I've imagined two set-ups in my head.
Single motor, chain drive to single speed freewheel sprocket? Wheels welded to axle?
Dual motors (perhaps 1/5th scale RC motors). Do they have small geared (freehwheel) hub motors?

Controller, battery, display, throttle stuff I'm not worried about, its the basic architecture I'm struggling with.
I've also thought about a kid car/jeep vehicle as a donor (transaxle) platform but they don't freewheel.

Thank you for reading and commenting. Zuca tried to do this with someone else but they did not get far and are VERY interested if I can make something work.

Maybe try searching ebay, amazon, etc. for : "Geared Wheelbarrow Motor"
for some ideas.
ebikes.ca has some specs:
Geared Wheelbarrow Motor with Regular Tire
Believe me I've searched A LOT!
Wheelbarrow motor has axle on both sides. I know grin sells motors that mount on trikes (only one side mounted) but can't seem t mfind them quickly. The (Grin) scooter motor is also interesting but I believe the rpm/speed is still too fast.
Need smaller motor with lower power and smaller scale that can mount on end of axle, or come up with some other configuration.
Thanks

G'day Orcasprout.
Have you looked at ES member Quinc's jetski tow cart in the watercraft section?
Looks like it uses parts from a mobility scooter. Motor. Transaxle, controller etc (correct me if I'm wrong Quinc).
Drivetrains have a differential & freewheel lever. Controls have forward & reverse and variable speed you can dial to your walking speed.
There's lots of non working scooters going for next to nothing that just have dead batteries from being stored a long time without charging. Take a volt meter. If the batts are dead the rest is probably ok.
Have fun with the build mate!

AussieRider

Back