I.D. This DD for me please :) and other thoughts....

Danschutz

10 W
Wyoming. We have at least 6 months of winter follo
This is the wifes electric bike. I purchased it from a good friend that is staying motorized but all he remembers is he bought it off Ebay however knowing my buddy he never really remembers where he buys anything lol. The one thing I know about it is its a 1000w 48v wheel, I pulled the old Sla's off and replaced them with a 48v 10ah Lifepo4 from Golden Motor and man what a weight savings lol. As some know Ive been trying to figure out my Ebike and after wavering back and forth Ive decided to go DD. I was concerned with the hills around here but the steepest of them might be a eighth mile long and the long hills aren't really steep compared top what Ive seen on these forums unless I want to ride up the mountain which probably would never happen.

Dogman and Wesnewell (and others) have inspired me to look at the less expensive kits from ebay and yescomusa and Ive spent time researching the differences between those and the Crystalyte kits. From what Ive gathered the biggest difference is off the line torque or at least that's what some say when comparing the two. So I decided to set some time aside and put that battery on the wifes bike and take it for a spin. If I peddle hard from a stop it gets up to speed in a decent manner, don't get me wrong its super fun but I think Id want just a little more umph.

I can reach speeds uphill around 29mph and top speed of 32mph on the flats. Some things to consider about her kit is a. what is it? b. what are the specs of that controller? I may assume the controller maxes out at 25 amps and the controller and battery I want to use will run at 40 amps (48v). Enough difference to feel more torque? Good chance I'll be building a full suspension 40 lb (before kit) bike so yeah, that will slow things down a bit lol.

Also I was checking prices over at Grin and the 2807 Nine Continent Kit with the V2 is nicely priced. I imagine the wifes kit is probably some C9 clone so would the 2807 from grin be any better?

oh and around 25-26 mph I get a "howl" from the front wheel, no shake or shimmy just a howl.

Here are the pics.....
Front cover of manual

This pic flipped when I put it on Photobucket.

Thanks again guys.

One more thing!!! Are the specs on this battery to be believed?
http://www.electricrider.com/Lightweight-Lithium-Manganese-48V-10AH-Battery-p/lim4810-22.htm

Dan L.

The manual and rim is identical to the one I got with my yescomusa kits. looks like someone painted the hub motor. Look for a part number etched around the the outer rim of the motor if the paint hasn't obscured it. It would normally look like this.
motornumber.JPG
As for the battery. At $550 for a 10ah 13s pack, they better be right.

Looks like a 9c motor, or any of the clones thereof. Roughly 200mm stator diameter, and 28mm stator width. If the stator is wider than that, (35-40mm) then It may be a crystalyte hx/hs or whatever its called nowadays. Either way, a decent little DD for beating around town at a few kw.

Golden motor type, but in the faster 2806 winding. Most of the muxus and 9c offerings are in the 2807 winding.

The faster winding needs a big controller to not feel sluggish. So aiming for 40 amps is not a bad idea.

If you want real pep, get 72v 40 amps controller. But careful, if you run 40 mph more than ten miles, you risk a motor melt.

If you want to haul ass, you really should just invest in the wider magnet crystalyte, but you can definitely hoon around for shorter rides on the smaller 9c type motors.

If you are on a budget, consider a smaller motor for the wife, if she doesn't ride fast now. Then go hot rod with that old GM wheel.

wesnewell said:
The manual and rim is identical to the one I got with my yescomusa kits. looks like someone painted the hub motor. Look for a part number etched around the the outer rim of the motor if the paint hasn't obscured it. It would normally look like this.

As for the battery. At $550 for a 10ah 13s pack, they better be right.

Ill check those numbers when I get home.

So I know if Im not building my own batteries Im getting hosed on prices but I just want to be safe and not blow anything up lol. The cost of that battery compared to Pauls is really close when you include shipping, its also assembled in the U.S. so the money stays a little closer to home. Is that a really bad price????

Thanks Again!

dogman said:
Golden motor type, but in the faster 2806 winding. Most of the muxus and 9c offerings are in the 2807 winding.

The faster winding needs a big controller to not feel sluggish. So aiming for 40 amps is not a bad idea.

If you want real pep, get 72v 40 amps controller. But careful, if you run 40 mph more than ten miles, you risk a motor melt.

If you want to haul ass, you really should just invest in the wider magnet crystalyte, but you can definitely hoon around for shorter rides on the smaller 9c type motors.

If you are on a budget, consider a smaller motor for the wife, if she doesn't ride fast now. Then go hot rod with that old GM wheel.

Well that explains the top end speed. I was looking at building a rear drive bike for my ride so that front DD wont work.

I do want to go fast but I don't want to haul around a bunch of batteries on a FS bike and I figure 48v and 40 amps should get me to 35mph. You made me rethink my needs and the off road stuff is pretty flat around here and 98% of the time the roads Ill be traveling on have a speed limit of 35mph.

Thoughts on that battery link I posted?

Thanks!
Dan L.

I doubt if you can get much more than 30mph from that battery pack, if that. It's only 13s. If you really want 35mph, you'll need a 14s or 15s pack. The stock controller will take 15s (63V fully charged).

Back